Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-21, 07:56 AM   #31
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

After years and centuries they now exclaim that black lives matter, and the good old white boys from across the street are throwing a tantrum because .. what exactly?
I really wonder what is going on in the minds of some
You missed the primary target on what BLM started as and what it has become. BLM from my readings(living it) began as a result of police overwhelming poor outcomes(death) for blacks with something as simple as a traffic stop. Rodney King beatings at the hands of the police in the 80s was never a "isolated" incident. There is a long line of Rodney Kings that started before Rodney King and continued well into the 21 century. BLM is drawing attention to this problem and rightly so.

Perhaps the good old white boy does not grasp what BLM is working towards? But the good old boy like many people get their views on certain social unrest from the media that paints it anyway they like. Has BLM grown more than just protest for police reform? It appears depending where one gets their new sources.
Old 05-07-21, 09:14 AM   #32
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
re Jim: I see it a bit different. Black people (or brown or whatever grade of pigmentation applies) have been abducted, enslaved, subdued, segregated and generally treated at least (uh hu) different than white people, for centuries.
At least segregation and the discrimination were still well present in the 1970ies, not only in the US of course, and not everywhere in the US, ok.

After things went a bit calmer it now seems that the prejudice and behaviour towards coloured people is cooking up again, and it certainly triggers an outburst of anger when murder of whatever degree happens. Can you imagine what would have happened with Chauvin if the girl would not have filmed it? Not a year ago i read in a US forum that some man did "not want to work with blacks because [they] dislike them", and alot of other forum members chimed in.

So after centuries of abuse and denigration and this whole BS cooking up again some decide to create the "Black lives matter" idea.

Which is of course not meant in the way that only black lives matter, they want to make people aware of the general situation of prejudice and racism. Of course they could have called it "black lives also matter" but i guess that would not have hit home.

After years and centuries they now exclaim that black lives matter, and the good old white boys from across the street are throwing a tantrum because .. what exactly?
I really wonder what is going on in the minds of some
Let's be 100% clear. Black and brown people have been enslaving each other for centuries and they're *still* doing it. It's not a person's skin color.

Police interaction with the public in the US is in the millions of interactions each year. The number of black people who have an interaction that ends in their death by the police is infinitesimal. Of the 765 people who ended up being killed by the police in 2020, only 28% were black. The vast majority of them were white people.

One also must ask the question of why violence amongst the population is *overwhelmingly* perpetrated by African-Americans. In fact, black-on-black crime is overwhelmingly in the majority, usually involving male-on-male (i.e. gang violence).

We don't have such criminal acts being perpetrated by African immigrants, rather, African-Americans born in the US.

We overwhelmingly don't see the media reporting the race of a perpetrator of violent crime when that perpetrator is black.

It's not a skin color/racism problem. It's a refusal by American society to admit that the reforms instituted by LBJ have directly led to the destruction of the family unit in African-American homes, and the associated rise in antisocial behavior by people who don't have a father in the home - they see that casual sex, drug abuse, no respect for other people, and no requirement to work for the things you want, is rewarded by the government.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 09:16 AM   #33
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
You missed the primary target on what BLM started as and what it has become. BLM from my readings(living it) began as a result of police overwhelming poor outcomes(death) for blacks with something as simple as a traffic stop. Rodney King beatings at the hands of the police in the 80s was never a "isolated" incident. There is a long line of Rodney Kings that started before Rodney King and continued well into the 21 century. BLM is drawing attention to this problem and rightly so.

Perhaps the good old white boy does not grasp what BLM is working towards? But the good old boy like many people get their views on certain social unrest from the media that paints it anyway they like. Has BLM grown more than just protest for police reform? It appears depending where one gets their new sources.
Given what investigation into Patrice Cullors has revealed so far, I'd argue that BLM was never anything other than a grift to begin with.
Old 05-07-21, 09:19 AM   #34
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Police interaction with the public in the US is in the millions of interactions each year. The number of black people who have an interaction that ends in their death by the police is infinitesimal. Of the 765 people who ended up being killed by the police in 2020, only 28% were black. The vast majority of them were white people.
But, if you do it by the numbers(more whites than blacks in the population) police encounters with blacks are greater statistically ending in death. This is one of the sticking points.
Old 05-07-21, 09:22 AM   #35
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Given what investigation into Patrice Cullors has revealed so far, I'd argue that BLM was never anything other than a grift to begin with.
So is the government of the US. BLM has become more that it was to be. It is also getting rotten elements as well. I think we find this in every type of group no matter the Boy Scouts or the Glee Club.
Old 05-07-21, 09:41 AM   #36
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Granted there are issues(some here for a long time) in our society. There is also good in our society. It is unfortunate the bad is always advertised.

Old 05-07-21, 01:05 PM   #37
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ AVGWarhawk Thanks for posting, i know that the majority of people live together without problems, on the contrary – as can be seen too. Of course the yellow press media are more interested in the more sensational/negative aspects.
Some good thoughts and getting a lot straight, making it all better understandable.

3catcircus wrote:
Quote:
It's not a skin color/racism problem. It's a refusal by American society to admit that the reforms instituted by LBJ have directly led to the destruction of the family unit in African-American homes, and the associated rise in antisocial behavior by people who don't have a father in the home - [...]
Lyndon B. Johnson, what did he do/what happened that led to this?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 01:09 PM   #38
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Possibly referring to the Civil Rights Act of 1964

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...ights-act-1964

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 01:20 PM   #39
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
^ Thanks for posting, i know that the majority of people live together without problems, on the contrary – as can be seen too. Of course the yellow press media are more interested in the more sensational/negative aspects.

3catcircus wrote:

Lyndon B. Johnson, what did he do/what happened that led to this?
Catfish, I had interesting years in college(1980s). My room mate is from NY. His mom Jamaican. His father black. We roomed together for our 4 years. I had witnessed many ways my room mate was treated differently. Odd as it was, if we walked into a predominantly black bar I was accepted(white guy) because I was hanging with a black guy. The same would go for my room mate. Predominantly white bar he would get a look but when the other patrons noticed he was with me it was all good. There was some bars we just did not go into no matter our color! My experiences in the social realm with my room mate opened my eyes to a lot. He was treated differently in many respects. But I can say without the doubt he is the most decent caring individual I have met in my 55 years on this mudball. It changed how I interact with people of any color. People are simply people to me. Looking for a fair shake, live the best they can, given an opportunity and be happy.

As a side note, my adopted sister is Korean. I had witnessed the crap kids would say to her(chink, slant eyes). I put a stop to that when I heard it. People can be cruel and for no good reason.
Old 05-07-21, 01:20 PM   #40
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

There are hateful and racist in every races on our planet.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 01:23 PM   #41
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
There are hateful and racist in every races on our planet.

Markus
And when one stands back to look at the big picture...one wonders why. There are a lot of stupid people in the world. Violence against Asians is on the rise. Many say because of COVID originating in China. What does the Asian woman walking down Main Street USA have to do with it? Why nothing but some feel she got something coming to her anyway.

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 05-07-21 at 01:49 PM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 02:52 PM   #42
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Granted there are issues(some here for a long time) in our society. There is also good in our society. It is unfortunate the bad is always advertised.

Ho hol hold on there. You can't be going against the predecided narrative the media wants to portray...
Old 05-07-21, 02:54 PM   #43
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Ho hol hold on there. You can't be going against the predecided narrative the media wants to portray...
Oh but I can because I don't watch the usual talking heads we all rail about.
Old 05-07-21, 03:03 PM   #44
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Possibly referring to the Civil Rights Act of 1964

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...ights-act-1964
^^^

It's the unintended consequences. When you offer what're to people to help feed their families, but the law *doesn't* provide that help for families where both parents are in the home, it tends to promote situations dominated by single parent households. When you also pay more for each child, it tends to promote promiscuity.

When you take away welfare when those single parent households obtain employment, even if not sufficient on its own, it promotes no desire to find employment.

Lastly, the 3rd and 4th-order effects are that single parent households where a strong set of values and a work ethic aren't instilled produces children who grow up to see themselves as helpless victims dependent upon handouts and raging against others. Essentially, LBJ destroyed the progress made by MLK and others.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...an_family.html
Old 10-06-23, 12:32 AM   #45
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Pulling a kid from an expensive private school

First. World. Problems.
true... but also false

We sent the stepdaughter to a private school for a little over a year. found it surprisingly affordable. Especially since parents were able to volunteer to perform school maintenance, groundskeeping, donate food to the cafeteria and even perform cafeteria duties etc. in order to receive a reduction in tuition costs. My wife and I, for example, received a tuition break by going to the school after hours on certain days and restocking bathroom tissue, hand soap, hand towels and replacing the air filters in each building's air conditioning system.

My observations were that while there were some kids from affluent families... most of them came from working class families who really had to stretch their dollar to provide what they considered to be the best possible education for their kid.

Im here to tell you, you'd think it might be a bit humiliating for a kid to walk into the cafeteria and see his mom cooking behind the counter with other moms... but since the ingredients and the cooking were mostly provided by an all volunteer force who brought recipes from home... those kids ate like absolute royalty.