SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-21, 05:36 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default JSGME problem ...

For example, whenever I install the Bigger Better Protractors mod and then another mod, I get the following message in JSGME: Folder "Data" has already been added by the "Bigger Better Protractors" mod.

Then no MOD works anymore ....

What's the problem here?
Old 05-03-21, 07:27 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What JSGME does is save the copies of files that a given mod will overwrite before it does the overwriting, so that it can "go back" to the previous state when you de-activate a mod. "Bigger Better Protractors" is a small mod that only alters the tools you see on the NavMap, so if you add a mod on top of it that also alters the same area, it overwrites "Bigger Better Protractors", you do lose that mod's functionality. That is the way JSGME works. It will warn you of file over-writes and folders previously altered or created. Depending upon what mods you are using, you could activate the other mod(s) first, and then activate "Bigger Better Protractors" last, since that is all it does, is alter those NavMap tools.

If you want to, list the mods that you want to have running, and someone will have some advice on the activation order, and if there is anything to be aware of, or maybe not needed in your list. Also, be aware that if the SH4 game is installed in a "Program Files" folder in Windows, that activating a mod will result in Windows rolling back the edits that JSGME does, since Windows "protects" those folders from "un-authorized" alteration, and neither you nor JSGME are "registered" with Windows as "authorized", even though neither of you are "bad characters"... but that's Windows. You would need to have the game installed in a folder you create. Let us know where you have the game installed also, please.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 09:03 AM   #3
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What JSGME does is save the copies of files that a given mod will overwrite before it does the overwriting, so that it can "go back" to the previous state when you de-activate a mod. "Bigger Better Protractors" is a small mod that only alters the tools you see on the NavMap, so if you add a mod on top of it that also alters the same area, it overwrites "Bigger Better Protractors", you do lose that mod's functionality. That is the way JSGME works. It will warn you of file over-writes and folders previously altered or created. Depending upon what mods you are using, you could activate the other mod(s) first, and then activate "Bigger Better Protractors" last, since that is all it does, is alter those NavMap tools.

If you want to, list the mods that you want to have running, and someone will have some advice on the activation order, and if there is anything to be aware of, or maybe not needed in your list. Also, be aware that if the SH4 game is installed in a "Program Files" folder in Windows, that activating a mod will result in Windows rolling back the edits that JSGME does, since Windows "protects" those folders from "un-authorized" alteration, and neither you nor JSGME are "registered" with Windows as "authorized", even though neither of you are "bad characters"... but that's Windows. You would need to have the game installed in a folder you create. Let us know where you have the game installed also, please.
OK, Thank You!

SH4, v1.5 in c:\games.
In c:\game\gamename\MODS\mod's-name\DATA

It's strange to me:
If I only activate Better Bigger Protractors then I will indeed see the Bigger Protractors.
If I only activate TMOwtw then I don't see anywhere that TMOwtw is indeed loaded. Wich means I don't know if it is loaded or not. How can I see this?

I would like to play:
Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02
TMOwtw

Last edited by easy; 05-03-21 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 10:56 AM   #4
propbeanie

If you do not see a splash screen like (with logo text on it, of course though)

... after activating the mod, then something is most likely wrong with the structure of the folders you are using. You mention having Silent Hunter in "C:\Games" and then "MODS" in that Games folder. If you have a "Silent Hunter 4 v1.5" folder (of some name) inside of the Games folder, then that is where the problem lays. In such a case, you would want "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4 \MODS", and JSGME could be used from inside (easiest) or outside the "Silent Hunter 4" folder. btw, You can name the Silent Hunter 4 folder anything you want also. De-activate all mods before you move any folders though. I will usually name my folders after the mod I am running inside, such as "TMOwTw", or "FotRSUv146" or "TMORSRDC" or whatever you want. It is easiest if you have JSGME.exe inside of that SH4 folder, inside your Game folder. You place the mods inside the MODS folder of course, and as you mention, they should be "ModName \Data" etc in there. Activate TMOwTw first, then the Bigger Better Protractors, then the Missions.

Initially though, make certain that the Stock game functions. To do that, be sure you have de-activated all mods, and if you haven't used MultiSH4 yet, delete the contents of your "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder (UserName being what you log-in with, and Documents might be My Documents), which will clear any previous attempts at modding. This will also remove all progress you have made previously. The game runs off of the Save folder there, but does not re-load any previously loaded files, which is the reason for having to clear its contents, so that the game will re-build the folder, and pull the data from the Game folder again. Once you have that folder cleared, run the Stock game, and make certain it functions in the Submarine School mode.

After that, exit the game, and activate the TMOwTw mod in JSGME. You will have to clear the Save folder again (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) so that the game creates new files again. Try to run the modded game now, and see if you don't see that Galloping Ghost shot of the mod now. If you do, you can then exit after you reach the game menu, and then activate the Sub School Missions and Bigger Better Protractors mods. You shouldn't have to clear the Save folder this time, since neither mod is anything major, but it won't hurt anything if you do it again. Run the game again, and see if you don't have everything in place now. Let us know how you get along, please!

Old 05-03-21, 12:34 PM   #5
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If you do not see a splash screen like (with logo text on it, of course though)

... after activating the mod, then something is most likely wrong with the structure of the folders you are using. You mention having Silent Hunter in "C:\Games" and then "MODS" in that Games folder. If you have a "Silent Hunter 4 v1.5" folder (of some name) inside of the Games folder, then that is where the problem lays. In such a case, you would want "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4 \MODS", and JSGME could be used from inside (easiest) or outside the "Silent Hunter 4" folder. btw, You can name the Silent Hunter 4 folder anything you want also. De-activate all mods before you move any folders though. I will usually name my folders after the mod I am running inside, such as "TMOwTw", or "FotRSUv146" or "TMORSRDC" or whatever you want. It is easiest if you have JSGME.exe inside of that SH4 folder, inside your Game folder. You place the mods inside the MODS folder of course, and as you mention, they should be "ModName \Data" etc in there. Activate TMOwTw first, then the Bigger Better Protractors, then the Missions.

Initially though, make certain that the Stock game functions. To do that, be sure you have de-activated all mods, and if you haven't used MultiSH4 yet, delete the contents of your "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder (UserName being what you log-in with, and Documents might be My Documents), which will clear any previous attempts at modding. This will also remove all progress you have made previously. The game runs off of the Save folder there, but does not re-load any previously loaded files, which is the reason for having to clear its contents, so that the game will re-build the folder, and pull the data from the Game folder again. Once you have that folder cleared, run the Stock game, and make certain it functions in the Submarine School mode.

After that, exit the game, and activate the TMOwTw mod in JSGME. You will have to clear the Save folder again (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) so that the game creates new files again. Try to run the modded game now, and see if you don't see that Galloping Ghost shot of the mod now. If you do, you can then exit after you reach the game menu, and then activate the Sub School Missions and Bigger Better Protractors mods. You shouldn't have to clear the Save folder this time, since neither mod is anything major, but it won't hurt anything if you do it again. Run the game again, and see if you don't have everything in place now. Let us know how you get along, please!
Thanks!

But I have to excuse me....: I have edited my last post. As you can see now , I think my folder structure is indeed excactly as you mentioned:

C:\Game\Gamename\MODS\mod's-name\DATA

That's why I found it very strange that:

If I only activate Better Bigger Protractors then I will indeed see the Bigger Protractors.
If I only activate TMOwtw then I don't see anywhere that TMOwtw is indeed loaded. Wich means I don't know if it is loaded or not. How can I see this?

I would like to play:
Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02
TMOwtw
Old 05-03-21, 12:54 PM   #6
propbeanie

If you do not see that "splash" screen above after activating the mod, then you are most likely have something amiss. Bigger Better Protractors is just 3 dds (image) files, and one cfg file. Those image files are not changed by Windows, and you might not notice a missing mouse.cfg file in the game, so it would look fine.

What type of account are you logging into Windows with? a "normal" aka: "Local User", or an "Admin" account, with full rights and privileges in the Games folder? If you get things squared away, you would activate

1 TMOwTw
2. Bigger Better Protractors
3. Submarine School Missions

But is the Stock game running OK after you remove the mods, and clear the Save folder? Also, JSGME uses an ini file for its configuration, so be certain you are in the correct game folder and MODS folder...

Old 05-03-21, 03:09 PM   #7
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If you do not see that "splash" screen above after activating the mod, then you are most likely have something amiss. Bigger Better Protractors is just 3 dds (image) files, and one cfg file. Those image files are not changed by Windows, and you might not notice a missing mouse.cfg file in the game, so it would look fine.

What type of account are you logging into Windows with? a "normal" aka: "Local User", or an "Admin" account, with full rights and privileges in the Games folder? If you get things squared away, you would activate

1 TMOwTw
2. Bigger Better Protractors
3. Submarine School Missions

But is the Stock game running OK after you remove the mods, and clear the Save folder? Also, JSGME uses an ini file for its configuration, so be certain you are in the correct game folder and MODS folder...
Thank You Propbeanie for all your time spending to my problems....

I nearly get sick....

I never see the splashscreen for TMOwtw.
My c:\Game folder has all the rights as Administrator
I removed the save folder
The JSGME-cfg reads after enabling: TMOwTw 2.50=1
But no TMOwtw splashscreen...
Th plain game SH4 with U-boat missions runs perfect.

I'm afraid I have to play SH4 with with U-boat missions only.
Old 05-03-21, 04:12 PM   #8
propbeanie

Well, look in your TMOwTw folder then... going from the top, you should be

C:\Game \Gamename \MODS \TMOwTw 2.5

and below that should be a "Data" and a "Documentation" folders, as well as a "wTw readme.txt" file. When you select that in the JSGME window in the left-hand pane, and click the right-arrow button in the middle border of JSGME, does it take several minutes to come up with a pop-up from JSGME, warning you of file overwrites (which is fine to OK), or does it just do its business, and then the mod name is in the right-hand window? If you then look in the Game folder, do you now see a "TMOwTw 2.5" folder?

Old 05-04-21, 01:19 PM   #9
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Propbeany,

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

I reinstalled everything and everything works perfectly!
I don't know what the difference is, but everything works now!
I see a really nice splash screen with wheels etc.

Lots of thanks for your much help!
Old 05-04-21, 07:58 PM   #10
propbeanie

Glad you are going! Now go have fun! but don't forget to close the hatch before you dive!!!