SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Pirates & Sailing Ships
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-16, 12:23 PM   #1
CaptainMurphy
Mate

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum

In association with PiratesAhoy! and The Unicorn Preservation Society we are proud to present the HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum project. Our goal with this project is to create an interactive and ‘living’ ship that can be explored using VR devices such as the Google Cardboard, Saumsung GearVR, Oculus Rift, and more. We also plan to build a web front version for browsers as well for those without a VR device.

The model for the HMS Unicorn is being built in-house by our very talented modeler Christian Tornholm-Lehn for PiratesAhoy! for both the VR Museum project as well as the project Hearts Of Oak: Conquest of the Seas. Due to the detail of the model needed for both a museum quality replica and use for gaming it will be one of the most accurate 3d ship models made to date. Because the real HMS Unicorn is ‘in ordinary’, meaning it has a house over the deck and does not have rigging, we are using the sister ship HMS Trincomalee as the base of the rigging portion. Both are Leda class ships, with minor variations in design so the rigging should be extremely similar.

Planned Builds:
  • Android (with and without Google Cardboard or GearVR)
  • iOS (with and without VR)
  • Windows (for VR devices and without)
Goals:
  • Create a set of interactive displays to allow users to understand the function and correct nomenclature of shipboard items and tools
  • Allow users to freely explore a ‘living’ ship as it would have been outfitted during the period
  • Teach users how life aboard a ship was lived through representation of crew and officers for certain displays
Windows x86
Download

Windows x64
Download

Last edited by CaptainMurphy; 07-23-16 at 10:04 PM.
CaptainMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 02:24 PM   #2
CaptainMurphy
Mate

Progress Report, Captains!

The HMS Unicorn model is almost complete and has been added to a new project made for Windows for everyone to take a look at. It features a couple of fun little interactive items (2 hidden items and an undocumented keyboard input). You can download it and give it a try, though it is best to have a bit of a more modern machine as this project has not been optimized with any LOD or occlusion culling as of yet.

Download Link

We are looking for any feedback that can be given!

Screenshots

Old 05-25-16, 02:53 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Very Cool! I see where the checkered deck comes from>

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 06:04 PM   #4
CaptainMurphy
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Very Cool! I see where the checkered deck comes from>
The Unicorn and the Trincomalee are both Leda class Frigates, and as such are very similar. The stern galleries are one of the major differences as seen in the photo vs the model, plus there are several things done to the Unicorn that the Trincomalee did not have due to later construction methods of the class. I am hoping to get a character model into the build soon to give some scale to the level. It is deceiving how big/small things look without something to gauge it with. We are hoping to get some more small detail items in soon to make it look a bit more 'lived in' instead of the stark appearance it currently has.
Old 05-26-16, 01:12 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2407019#post2407019 U inspired my own 'post of the day' ...with full credit of course!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 04:55 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMurphy View Post
The Unicorn and the Trincomalee are both Leda class Frigates, and as such are very similar. The stern galleries are one of the major differences as seen in the photo vs the model, plus there are several things done to the Unicorn that the Trincomalee did not have due to later construction methods of the class. I am hoping to get a character model into the build soon to give some scale to the level. It is deceiving how big/small things look without something to gauge it with. We are hoping to get some more small detail items in soon to make it look a bit more 'lived in' instead of the stark appearance it currently has.
That looks very cool indeed

I've been on the Trincomalee quite a few times as she is situated in the very location I used to attend quarterly meetings.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 09:07 AM   #7
CaptainMurphy
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2407019#post2407019 U inspired my own 'post of the day' ...with full credit of course!
Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
That looks very cool indeed

I've been on the Trincomalee quite a few times as she is situated in the very location I used to attend quarterly meetings.
I am very jealous. I do hope to get to travel over to the UK and get to visit all of the great historic ships that are around. In our area we have some replicas that come to visit, but nothing quite like that.

Also, for those that downloaded the game, if you hadn't found it yet you need to turn up your speakers and hit spacebar.... just sayin!
Old 07-23-16, 09:44 PM   #8
CaptainMurphy
Mate

A new version is available in both x86 and x64. It has all new lighting, controller support, updated water, updated textures, a new character model, updated UI, updated settings controls, added terrain, new LOD's on some models. It is the framework for the next set of changes which will include a couple of interactive displays to test the system and possibly VR being enabled with the new controls.

Windows x86
Download

Windows x64
Download

Last edited by CaptainMurphy; 07-23-16 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 08:40 AM   #9
CaptainMurphy
Mate

Hello ladies and gents! We have been hard at work on the Unicorn of late and have just released another new version. The largest interesting addition is the ability to use VR! It is not exactly 'smooth' just yet, so be sure to get your settings ironed out BEFORE turning on VR as the gaze controller is just not wanting to work right now.

On another note, we had to remove the Ceto water system and switch to a new one as the developer has stopped working on it. That ate up a good chunk of time but is finally complete. We also updated the image processing stack to be much more efficient and have more amazing graphics!

Lastly, if you do not have Itch.io installed, we HIGHLY recommend it. We are now distributing the Unicorn game on Itch.io with automatic patching through their client.

HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum by Wolf Pack Games Co

Have a go at the underwater section and meet our new friends there.

Be sure to try it out and expect quite a few updates coming in the next couple of weeks, including a few model additions and more interesting weather changes.
Old 05-09-17, 10:04 AM   #10
CaptainMurphy
Mate

After many long nights and busy weekends we are proud to announce the release of the HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum version 1.2!

What’s New
  • The model has been heavily updated.
  • 2 entirely new decks have been added.
  • User controls have been reworked to be more ‘character’ like for the better usage in VR.
  • Particle effects are completely overhauled.
  • VR performance is greatly optimized.
  • Overall performance is much better
  • Lighting is completely overhauled
  • Water is updated and improved for performance
  • and much, much more…
We are closing in on being able to add in the information placards, audio tracks, guided tour points, and other museum style interactions. We look forward to the feedback on the new model!

Download from Itch.io now!