SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-15, 07:28 AM   #316
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

They say that they have started work on a new reserve. Nice, that is what it is about for me in the main: reserves. No further detials were given, only that they have left the starting line.

I would not dare to expect it earlier than autumn, probably later.

Also, a new species is sneaking its way into VDB. Not being fully identified, they say it is not completely new,but a variation of an already existing one. Release date not given, but I think it will be much earlier than autumn...
Old 01-17-15, 12:05 PM   #317
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
They say that they have started work on a new reserve.
Good for them.
After all they will need more people to subscribe, my subscription is lost for good. Won't waste another dime on this crap.
I am sick and tired of this "developer" team and their BS.
Old 01-17-15, 04:18 PM   #318
Skybird
Soaring

This should be considered before attacking them for their business model:

http://translate.google.de/translate...gare&sandbox=1

Hit the translate button. It's not a natural thing that they even are still there as a studio doing business. They were close to shut down.

Also, for an online game, they are still on the cheap side of things.
Old 01-21-15, 08:06 AM   #319
Skybird
Soaring

This is a customer-confirmed list of the content you get with this year's DVD edition (2015) of TH in Europe (thanks for posting it at the game's weesite, Erasser_SK):

6 months subscription

Weapons
.243 Bolt Action Rifle
.30-30 Lever Action Rifle (Lone Star)
12 GA Pump Action Shotgun
.270 Bolt Action Rifle
.44 Revolver
.357 Revolver
Compound Bow "Snakebite"

Scopes
4x32mm Rifle Scope
4-8x32mm Rifle Scope
2x20mm Handgun Scope

Lures
Deer "Bleat" Call
Deer "Grunt" Call
Turkey Box Caller
Pheasant Caller
Elk "Bugle" Caller
Hog Scent Spray

Clothing
Basic Boots
Basic Pants
Basic T-Shirt
Boone & Crockett Cap
Basic Pants
Basic Jacket !!Warning - i dont get this item!!

Equipment
Compact Digital Camera
8x42mm Binoculars
HunterMate Minigame
Scent Eliminator
Wind Indicator
Camping Supplies
First Aid Kit

Backpack

Happy Camper Tent

And the new species to be hunted in VDB has been spotted successfully:
(thanks to Kusanderi)
Old 01-23-15, 08:34 AM   #320
Skybird
Soaring

European rabbits have arrived in VDB. They live in colonies and hide in burrows when spotting a threat, which makes them of different behaviour than their virtual American cousins.
Old 02-12-15, 05:23 PM   #321
Skybird
Soaring

The new reserve being worked on will be the garden of the kangaroo-eaters!

Appropriate clothing already is available:

Cool looks, Dundee! Except the pumps, I mean...
Old 08-30-15, 04:39 PM   #322
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

I try the 303 no shake for me had 2 kills with it nice rifle but went back to the 30oz6 still shakes seem like the long bow don't have much of a knockdown even with a heart and lung shot
Old 09-05-16, 08:39 AM   #323
Skybird
Soaring

Long Time no see,

after the meanwhile release of their Arctic reserve, which is huge, has its nice sides, but all in all failed to become too popular with me, they have announced the upcoming
next reserve, which has me regaining interest in the game again: a Rocky Mountain-based reserve at autumn.

This will be the 11th reserve in the game then, if I hjave counted correctly. When I found the game in 2013 I think, there were just 5.

For coin-milking, a plethora of new weapons had been introduced since last time I posted in here, and some new species, but that all is not so much important and needed,
especially the many new birds and rifles are nice, but not essential. However, some biggie-bug-fixing was done as well, a few long-lasting issue being removed.
Old 09-05-16, 10:43 AM   #324
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The screenshots look great, I won't deny that.
However, I abandoned this game for good. It disappointed me one time too much.

Animals are still completely lifeless and robotic - especially my beloved Roe deer.
The engine starts to get old and its limitations get annoying.
Animals are still way too present and collecting a dozen or more in 30-60min. is still no problem at all on some maps.

My problem still is: It deteriorated to nothing but a shooter that gets more and more 'casual' to attract the peasants for a quick slaughter-fest, instead of a hunting simulation.
This, combined with the disgustingly greedy and insolent business model with completely over-priced in-game objects schießt den Vogel ab.

Shame there is absolutely no competition for them, this would stir things up quite good.
Old 09-05-16, 10:57 AM   #325
Skybird
Soaring

Economic needs and gameplay demands by the crowd needs to be balanced with "realism". A game where an animal is seen just every three hours or so, would not even get out of the starting block, but would be condmened as a "walking simulator".

I like the game still for what it is. The balancing to me works well enough. I see it in the category of relaxing, even recreational games that also ETS2 or OMSI would fall into.

The business model just is what it is. I am not forcced to buy new items. The price for base equipment and then only subscritpion, is okay. They make it easy for players to spend more, yes. But nobody must follow in that. I have not played a single event or tournament at all in these years. Its not needed.
Old 09-05-16, 11:06 AM   #326
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Economic needs and gameplay demands by the crowd needs to be balanced with "realism". A game where an animal is seen just every three hours or so, would not even get out of the starting block, but would be condmened as a "walking simulator".
Complaining about the world being too crowded with targets doesn't mean I am asking for the absolute opposite extreme, does it?
This is a common fallacy I read from tH fans a lot. One criticizes something and instead of addressing his point or opinion, people form a straw man and imply he asked for the very opposite extreme, which isn't the case.
Not saying you meant to do that, but that's kinda how it came across.
I agree of though, no one asks for a walking simulator, it wouldn't go well.
But right now? It is just the other extreme.

I'm not looking to mindlessly trash this game, I'm just genuinely disappointed what happened to it and I used to really love this game way back when it started out.
Can you say "Pim-effect"?
Old 09-05-16, 03:03 PM   #327
Skybird
Soaring

The Pim-effect, as they call it, was the only one thing that has prevented a project that was close to fiscal collapse from going bancrupt. Else, the game would have been dead since several years by now .

I know this guy gets plenty of Flak, but without his swinging-around of the rudder and the more aggressive coin-milking they now do, the game and the mother company would have gone off business several years ago. Today, the studio is no longer depending on financial help by the mother comopany - the mother company gets fianced by the developer instead.

So, this Pim-effect must have made a significant difference. The difference between business death and business survival.

That is a fact. The good old days (which had many bugs, few reserves, few species, ugly weapons and several details in gameplay that almost killed the game during its first 18 months), where not really that good at all, I seem to understand. And most important: it were days when the company back then almost killed itslef with ruinous business policies.

I have my quarrels with them myself. I do not like the at times unacceptable low internet stability of their servers, and their prone-to-malfunctions patching procedure. The rest I can forgive - as long as I am left with the choice, and do not get forced to invest into stuff I do not want to invest into. Which is bird-hunting.
Old 09-05-16, 03:28 PM   #328
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The Pim-effect, as they call it, was the only one thing that has prevented a project that was close to fiscal collapse from going bancrupt. Else, the game would have been dead since several years by now .
Gotta interrupt right there, because this is highly debatable.
You claim the game would be dead if not for him or rather what he changed. We don't know that. What he did worked, yes, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have worked any other way but we will never know.
I know I would still support this if they wouldn't be trying to grab money at every opportunity while they are still unable to fix the game, or rather some important aspects.
Let me guess, Reindeer organ-map is still completely bonkers?
As in: Shoot it in the lungs -> get a brain-shot registered.
Or the weather? Still raining way too much, right?
The sound still too loud for many players and still no sliders in the options, right?
What about the botched iron sights for many rifles?
Robotic animal behavior that is 100% predictable?
Or the various stability and network issues? MP is SO frustrating.
And don't get me started on anything duck or geese. That is basically my main point when I talk about money grab. "Hey, psst...wanna hunt ducks? Ok but... spend ~50€ first so it actually works for you...OK? Fair enough?"
That... gnah...

Instead of addressing this, they copy&paste new weapons into the game for ridiculous prices. "Muh don't have to buy". Yes, and I don't. The point is their priorities. The point is the stupid community falling for shiny new toys instead of understanding that the base game is severely lacking. 100 reserves, species and guns are great - but not if the rest flat out sucks due to bad maintenance and support - because why give a "§%() as long as people buy the 'new' toys?

Once they fixed that and countless other things and start becoming user friendly, I'd even consider returning. But this won't happen, no way.

All worked up now over nothing. TH still gets to me it seems.
End of discussion for me, it's pointless anyways.
If you can enjoy this mess, good for you - no sarcasm here - I wish I could look past all this, but I can't.
Old 09-05-16, 09:26 PM   #329
Skybird
Soaring

That the changes were necessary, WE DO KNOW for sure from several of their team members have said that and confirmed that over the past 3 years. The diffiuclt first years also are known, the game almost sunk already in 2009. They left no doubt that if they would not have followed Pim Holfves' way to generate more income, they woud have had to shut down already years ago. Their early business model simply did not work, it did not generate enough income to keep the boat floating.

The game now finances whole Avalanche company and crossfinances several other project developments thta Avaslanche without The Hunter would not have been able to shoulder, thats successful it has become - due to the changes and policies implemented by Pim Holves. As a result the number of subscribers went steeply upwards and into the sky.

Avalanche made him their president for that, if I recall correctly. And obviously many players like the results of the "Pim-effect".

On the other things, no I did not think it rains to much, I never thought that, and some sounds are better than others but the birds are what they have been before and I do not know why to complain now if it had not been complained much on in the past 7 years. The iron sights are point-and shoot, when I use them they work fine, and ballistics and proper callibre physics never were on the list anyway, but had to be balanced with the general game's design needs. Its no hardcore rifle simulation. Much of the stuff is for immersion only. Players choice.

I recommend you simply do not play this, if you do not like it. What is so fascinating for you in this lament, that the last time you posted in this thread was early last year and you said you do not like it, and now you come back and continue where you have left 18 or 19 months ago - just for complaining.

Simply don't play what you don't like. Leave it behind.

P.S. And then there was this, from almost exactly 2 years ago:
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic...613087#p613087

Mind you - staff said that 2013 was the first year when the game actually generated profit. That means from 2009 to 2012 it was deficitary. Not before 2014 they could start to pay back their debts to Avalanche.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-05-16 at 09:34 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 09:28 PM   #330
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Simply don't play what you don't like. Leave it behind.
Would have helped if you would have read my posts... or rather read more carefully.
Nevermind though.