SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-18, 03:15 PM   #6556
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
Uploads: 0

here it is i found it again?

"May 20, 2018

This is a cumulative revision for our v0.63 Fotrs Ultimate. It adds many new additions and tweaks to the original Beta mod.

=======================
=======================

I would like to give credit to the many creators that have given permission when asked, to use their ideas/files/models for the next Ultimate Beta version:

ZUIKAKU1944
noshiro
Sergbuto
JU_88
Jeff Groves (Privateer)
Keltos01
AOTD_MadMax
DarkFish
Hitman
Vondos

Their efforts in creating models, or ideas, that became the bases for our work is without question the reason the Fotrs Ultimate Beta has reach the point that it has. WE THANK YOU!!

========================
========================

What needs to be removed from the Fotrs Ultimate v0.63......

Before going further, FOTRS Ultimate will need to have three ship units removed from the Data/Submarine folder:

"AI_Fleetboat"............. ClassName=AIFleetboat
"NSS_AI_Uboat9d2".......... ClassName=AITypeIXD2
"NSS_Uboat9"............... ClassName=German Uboat

These units are replaced with the present AI_Subs and should not be used. These ships are not Stock game units, and need to be removed from the Ultimate v0.63 mod. The three units have additional files in the “Data/Roster/American (German)/Submarine” folders:

AIFleetboat.cfg
AITypeIXD2.cfg
German Sub.cfg

These three need to be eliminated too."

so the new version FOTRSU is an add on to the .63 or ..... what ????? or was this fixed and im not supposed to be worried about stuff like this lol??
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 05:33 PM   #6557
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
here it is i found it again?

"May 20, 2018

This is a cumulative revision for our v0.63 Fotrs Ultimate. It adds many new additions and tweaks to the original Beta mod.

=======================
=======================

I would like to give credit to the many creators that have given permission when asked, to use their ideas/files/models for the next Ultimate Beta version:

ZUIKAKU1944
noshiro
Sergbuto
JU_88
Jeff Groves (Privateer)
Keltos01
AOTD_MadMax
DarkFish
Hitman
Vondos

Their efforts in creating models, or ideas, that became the bases for our work is without question the reason the Fotrs Ultimate Beta has reach the point that it has. WE THANK YOU!!

========================
========================

What needs to be removed from the Fotrs Ultimate v0.63......

Before going further, FOTRS Ultimate will need to have three ship units removed from the Data/Submarine folder:

"AI_Fleetboat"............. ClassName=AIFleetboat
"NSS_AI_Uboat9d2".......... ClassName=AITypeIXD2
"NSS_Uboat9"............... ClassName=German Uboat

These units are replaced with the present AI_Subs and should not be used. These ships are not Stock game units, and need to be removed from the Ultimate v0.63 mod. The three units have additional files in the “Data/Roster/American (German)/Submarine” folders:

AIFleetboat.cfg
AITypeIXD2.cfg
German Sub.cfg

These three need to be eliminated too."

so the new version FOTRSU is an add on to the .63 or ..... what ????? or was this fixed and im not supposed to be worried about stuff like this lol??
Yes, that's right...…….don't worry about stuff like that!!

Each Ultimate Beta version is a "standalone" modification, meaning you only need to have a good install of SH4 v1.5 to activate the mod to. No other versions of Ultimate are needed or wanted.

That README was put into the files when the version was updated so Rockin Robbins (who host's this thread) knows what to do!! His contribution to the Ultimate mod is to upload the latest/final version of the Beta so you folks can download it. He's the "keeper" of the mod, and general "Stirrer of the Pot" when we give him our modifications to add. He puts them together, and it's up to him to know what's in the released version that gets to the public. In this case, instructions for him were inadvertently passed on to the public.

Double R should be working on a complete README that's public worthy, and if he's not too busy, getting us an "Ultimate Manual" so you players know what's different/expected when playing the mod.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 07:27 PM   #6558
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

Got it man thanks! i think i got it all sorted out for now lol
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 08:04 AM   #6559
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrane View Post
Ahoy guys I encountered a slight problem after ending a patrol. Porpoise class SS181. May 24 1942 was offered an upgrade, the bow mounted deck gun. After taking it no slots to man it with a crew. The deck gun was installed however.

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.71_PublicBeta_E N
Bigger Better Protractors

......Homeport was Freemantle I had ended a patrol. No messages about the upgrade it was listed under equipment. I took it for 400 renown pts I can go to it and fire it myself but with no crew.....

No slots for crew
With this report, I wanted to re enact what captcrane did, so I could see for myself? However, I did not have the "no slot" issue for a newly purchased "Bow" deck gun!? After docking in Fremantle port, with a "Bow" gun purchase, I found there were slots for the crew on the Crew Management page, with the correct "label" of "Fore Deck Gun" for the slots.

Although I see in the above image, the crew slots ARE missing, but so is the correct "label"....it reads "Aft Deck Gun"?? So, I'm somewhat hesitant to bring this up but, I think there was something else going on here besides the mod having a bad day?!? We talked about it earlier....Mod Soup? Not that his only other mod (Bigger Better Protractors) would cause the trouble...NO, I don't think so! BUT, was the SH4 file cleaned out before playing the Ultimate mod?? A leftover .upc file that gummed up the works?? Maybe!

The bottom line is I couldn't get the Deck Gun slots to NOT appear as they should. With several tries, at several different bases. Maybe a good 'ol "Restart" of the game would have corrected the issue....I just don't know?

========

However, something I DID see was when I purchased a different Deck Gun (switched from a Starting Default Stern DG to a Bow one), I couldn't get the 3D crew to appear at the gun!?! The purchase went without a hitch, the Crew Management page shown the correct position change (Fore for Aft), the crew slots were there, thew gun was there on the front of the deck.....but no crew after telling them to "Man the Deck Gun". Now, one thing you HAVE to do is to put Crew Members into the "slots"......I did that, but the 3D crew did not "Man the Gun" when I told them to!! When I further changed the DG back to the Stern position....the 3D crew appeared as they should.

Now I'll admit, I'm the one to get the Deck Gun to do the right thing (get a purchase "offer"; purchase it; and it appears in the right place)....the Stock game is "miserable" at getting the DG to do the right thing. And, I've known this was a problem with the lack of 3D crew when doing anything different than the "default" gun position, so I decided to do something about it.

In our next Beta version the DG will "Default" to different positions, different guns, automatically. Determined at different time periods. You won't have a "say" in where the gun is positioned, or which gun you get. You'll just know you'll get one at the following dates:

Stern 3.50 will be on all subs until 1942-04-01... then default to:
Bow 3.50 until 1942-08-01....then default to:
Stern 4.50 until 1943-01-01....then default to:
Bow 4.50 until 1944-01-01...then default to:
Stern 5.25 until 1944-08-01...then default to;
Bow 5.25 until 1945-03-02....then default to:
Twin 5.25's for the remainder of the game.

The Narwhal will continue to only have the Twin 4.50's as it's Deck Gun setup throughout the war.

By having the game setup the "default" gun instead of the player, this will have the gun displaying the crew as it should. AND, it should provide the player with the expected gun in all situations......no more questions like... "Where's my Deck Gun"? It should follow the above pattern for all American subs.

I'm pretty sure a mod can be made to give a player a "choice" before starting the game to either have the "default" as a Bow or Stern DG. A progression of the three different gun "types" for the "default" gun placement could still be made for it. But, the game simply doesn't know what to do with changing a placement for the gun and still keep itself together in the end.....this modification will keep it together!

I don't like to narrow down the play ability of the player by dictating how, what, where, the DG will perform, but I think it's for the best.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 09-07-18, 07:37 AM   #6560
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Can’t wait to finish my Bush Firefighter assessment tomorrow and download this
Old 09-07-18, 02:34 PM   #6561
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

[QUOTE=CapnScurvy;2567759]With this report, I wanted to re enact what captcrane did, so I could see for myself? However, I did not have the "no slot" issue for a newly purchased "Bow" deck gun!? After docking in Fremantle port, with a "Bow" gun purchase, I found there were slots for the crew on the Crew Management page, with the correct "label" of "Fore Deck Gun" for the slots.

Although I see in the above image, the crew slots ARE missing, but so is the correct "label"....it reads "Aft Deck Gun"?? So, I'm somewhat hesitant to bring this up but, I think there was something else going on here besides the mod having a bad day?!? We talked about it earlier....Mod Soup? Not that his only other mod (Bigger Better Protractors) would cause the trouble...NO, I don't think so! BUT, was the SH4 file cleaned out before playing the Ultimate mod?? A leftover .upc file that gummed up the works?? Maybe!

The bottom line is I couldn't get the Deck Gun slots to NOT appear as they should. With several tries, at several different bases. Maybe a good 'ol "Restart" of the game would have corrected the issue....I just don't know?

Ahoy CapnScurvy Sir I can confirm it was a fresh install of sh4. When I start Sh4 I do a clean install. I delete the old one through the control panel and also select to get rid of old files which takes care of the Sh4 folder in the documents folder I also check to make sure it's gone. Then restart my computer. Load in Sh4. Restart the computer then add mods ( which are awesome) I actually started in Surabaya then was transferred to Fremantle. I have to say I don't know if a restart would have fixed it. Crapola didn't think of that I might have just said damn and scrapped everything. I am currently back in 1941 out of the Philippines. But have no problem starting a new game back in Surabaya. Just enjoying the heck out of the game!
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 05:04 PM   #6562
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrane View Post
Ahoy CapnScurvy Sir I can confirm it was a fresh install of sh4. When I start Sh4 I do a clean install. I delete the old one through the control panel and also select to get rid of old files which takes care of the Sh4 folder in the documents folder I also check to make sure it's gone. Then restart my computer. Load in Sh4. Restart the computer then add mods ( which are awesome) I actually started in Surabaya then was transferred to Fremantle. I have to say I don't know if a restart would have fixed it. Crapola didn't think of that I might have just said damn and scrapped everything. I am currently back in 1941 out of the Philippines. But have no problem starting a new game back in Surabaya. Just enjoying the heck out of the game!

How you describe reinstalling the game and deleting the SH4 folder from the Documents folder is exactly what you need to do.

As I said in the earlier post, I followed your time frame starting in Surabaya, and staying out on patrol up to May 1942. During that time you'll lose Surabaya as your home port about 1st of March, and have Fremantle as your base. When I docked I purchased a Bow 3.50 and confirmed I had a "Fore Deck Gun" on the Crew Management page, with 4 slots for crew. Upon starting the next patrol the Bow gun was there. The only trouble was the 3D crew would not man the gun......which I know is a Stock game problem. That's why the next version of Ultimate will address this issue and eliminate the ability to purchase a DG that won't work as expected due to the Stock game glitch.

=============

One thing I noticed when coming into Fremantle was the number of units in the harbor!?!

Way too many!! I don't know if you remember encountering this (or any of you other guys playing Ultimate?), but this is not how we want things to go.

I brought this up to our resident expert on mission files.....(propbeanie), and he quickly came up with a better solution!

The number of ship units that had spawned during my patrol, and apparently never left the area was not right! He reworked the mission/ harbor files and the amount of units being rendered became much more manageable!

Now, I don't know if this had anything to do with your lack of getting crew slots for the Deck Gun? BUT, when the game is maxing itself out of memory due to the amount of unit rendering that's taking place...….anything is possible?!? Memory is nothing you want to lose.

We hope to have this fixed for our next version too!!

Quote:
Old 09-09-18, 09:04 PM   #6563
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

The missing gun crewman bug is a standard game bug. TMO resolved the issue by making all guns bow mounted and give an option to replace the files with stern mounted guns. RFB did not address the issue and when you change from a stern mounted gun to a bow mounted one, the crewman slots vanish.

I recommend for your mod, you follow the TMO model and make all guns bow mounted, except the Tambor/Gar subs.

Here is an end user work around. While in port, after changing guns, exit the port and then without saving, exit the game. Then open the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" file and make the following changes to this text file.

Remove all instances of "AdditionalRepository". You can to do this with 1 easy find and replace command. The file can be found in the SH4 folder in your documents. ../SH4/data/cfg/SaveGames/*/ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

What you are doing is changing the lines like:

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 9.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]

to read.....

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 9.CrewMemberSlot 1];[m] max range to contact

Then load the file you have just changed and exit port again. Continue play normally.

Hope this helps.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 12:29 AM   #6564
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Michael Wood!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 08:03 AM   #6565
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Loving this mod so far

My only gripes so far is that the music is a bit repetitive, and that Australia doesn't have Tribal Destroyers (though that's just a personal thing - my Pa served on HMAS Norman).

Old 09-10-18, 10:02 AM   #6566
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Loving this mod so far
...My only gripes so far is that the music is a bit repetitive, and that Australia doesn't have Tribal Destroyers (though that's just a personal thing - my Pa served on HMAS Norman).
We are glad you like the mod. More to come in the next version of it... We can correct the Tribal inclusion to the RAN easily enough, and can maybe get a reasonable "N" Class out of the "J"?... Both are in the game, just not in the RAN livery...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 03:53 PM   #6567
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

=============

One thing I noticed when coming into Fremantle was the number of units in the harbor!?!

Way too many!! I don't know if you remember encountering this (or any of you other guys playing Ultimate?), but this is not how we want things to go.

I brought this up to our resident expert on mission files.....(propbeanie), and he quickly came up with a better solution!

The number of ship units that had spawned during my patrol, and apparently never left the area was not right! He reworked the mission/ harbor files and the amount of units being rendered became much more manageable!

Now, I don't know if this had anything to do with your lack of getting crew slots for the Deck Gun? BUT, when the game is maxing itself out of memory due to the amount of unit rendering that's taking place...….anything is possible?!? Memory is nothing you want to lose.

We hope to have this fixed for our next version too!!
Thank you for the quick response I know you guys are busy. I know the thing you are talking about with all the ships. It also happened on the east side of Formosa. The game will slow down because of ship spawning. must be something with the T/C. Probably something similar happened at Fremantle. Still great job on the game none the less!
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 04:42 PM   #6568
propbeanie

TC is not the issue. It just compounds the problem. We recently discovered a dozen stacked RGG in and around Saipan in the US_HarborTraffic file, that had another dozen RGG placed exactly below the first set, with the same exact routing. Fremantle was similar, though not quite as bad. My guess is that the intention was to have "'round the clock coverage" by patrol vessels at 12 hour intervals, running the same routes, and then have the file split into "layers", like most of the other files in the game, with 41a, 42a, 42b, etc. However, it never progressed further than the "copy" stage. This is in stock v1.5 also...

Some of the groups are for different eras of the war, but most aren't. So you have two sets of PC (Patrol Craft, not "Politically Correct") that spawn one on top of the other (bad), compounded by them never terminating, but rather doing endless looping (worse), and being spawned every 200 hours at a 50% rate (really bad - worstest even), which works out to every 8.333 x 2 days, ie: between 16 and 17 days' time, another PC (various ship types) spawn in the same place. You go out on a 60 day patrol, and each of those 12 groups (actually 24 of them, in other words) has spawned 3 or 4 ships for each of the RGG, roughly 40 ships are now occupying the space that two did when you left on patrol... That's the bogging-down we're seeing.

It could well be similar in the Jap_HarborTraffic file (Formosa), though I did split that file, so even if I didn't see them somehow, they don't run for the whole game's time frame. My guess is airplanes there. Imagine though, a Harbor after four years of this, if you never save & quit the game (which starts the process over - I hope!). TC magnifies the slow-down from the game attempting to render six or seven dozen (double-digits) ships instead of just six or seven (single-digit)... This issue is still in our current "working" copy, but we hope to have reduced it even further by the time the actual mix for the Beta comes to you all - along with all sorts of good CapnScurvy changes that are just way-cool (I like the hypen, btw )...

Old 09-11-18, 03:11 AM   #6569
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We are glad you like the mod. More to come in the next version of it... We can correct the Tribal inclusion to the RAN easily enough, and can maybe get a reasonable "N" Class out of the "J"?... Both are in the game, just not in the RAN livery...
Thanks, greatly appreciated. I think that the J-class would be a perfect substitute for the N-class. I’m not sure if the RAN livery should be any different from the RN’s, though, so no need to worry about that.

Just one more thing I’ve noticed, by the way. The Type XVIII U-Boat’s conning tower is textureless, and now is just a black blob. I realise that FOTRS is first and foremost a US sub mod, and the XVIII won’t be turning up in any careers, but I thought you’d want to know

Last edited by Cybermat47; 09-11-18 at 03:23 AM.
Cybermat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 06:49 AM   #6570
propbeanie

Is that when you start a career on the German side? We havn't done any edits on that side, other than campaign layer calls... I'll look later today.