SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-18, 08:29 PM   #6706
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
my apologies, duckman.
i am involved in home project and i am still trying to complete my first career using TMO+RSRD.
the fourth quarter of the year is uber-busy for my work group. the pressure to make our yearly objectives is really ratcheted up.

so...work + home project + TMO+RSRD = no time for Ralles.

IF (big if) i get some time, are there any particular subtypes/bases/subrons/theatres of operation that you want me to test right away?
@Bleiente

one of my other projects hit a snag and i have to wait on it.
i created a new install for the Ralles mega and started a US career.
smoke graphics are different than other megas.
ships have different paint jobs.
it's a fun mega. my career starts in manila 1941. there is not a lot of activity in the areas of the assignments. one has to go looking for convoys, etc because the patrol zones are dead.

some questions:
were any of the mods supposed to add base change messages? because there are none.
there are a couple of IJN ships with difficulties. i ran the Mission Editor and receiver two error messages (see below).
why don't the crew berthing areas have enough billets for all of the deck watch?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 08:35 PM   #6707
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I’ve had suspicion that something is goin haywire but I think you’re right that it may not be this follow-on mission. What I mean by that is, i’ve played on .71 for months, problem free. But, only a few times have I reached or played in mid ‘44. And when I get to missions in mid ‘44, I’ve had crashes on Saved restarts occasionally. This time I had the crash repeatedly so I posted.
But, whatever the effect of making that change is, all of my 6 saves prior to getting the new mission now crash! I probably messed up the changes somewhere. So i’m starting over with a career start from Midway June ‘44.
Thanks for your help though.
Old 11-04-18, 10:47 PM   #6708
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

jldjs, I have not run into the issue with Midway starts with a beginning or middle of '44 start. As I mentioned, you're the 3rd person to encounter the issue, and torpedobait mentions getting stopped at Fremantle, which leads me to suspect a lack of sufficient assignments and codes.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 08:28 AM   #6709
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
@Bleiente

one of my other projects hit a snag and i have to wait on it.
i created a new install for the Ralles mega and started a US career.
smoke graphics are different than other megas.
ships have different paint jobs.
it's a fun mega. my career starts in manila 1941. there is not a lot of activity in the areas of the assignments. one has to go looking for convoys, etc because the patrol zones are dead.

some questions:
were any of the mods supposed to add base change messages? because there are none.
there are a couple of IJN ships with difficulties. i ran the Mission Editor and receiver two error messages (see below).
why don't the crew berthing areas have enough billets for all of the deck watch?

@ mark bonamer……. Why aren't you asking these questions in the "Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC" thread!?!

This is the Fotrs Ultimate thread. We don't need to get off topic onto other issues that don't pertain to "Ultimate".

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 08:49 AM   #6710
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
@ mark bonamer……. Why aren't you asking these questions in the "Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC" thread!?!

This is the Fotrs Ultimate thread. We don't need to get off topic onto other issues that don't pertain to "Ultimate".
probably because that is where Bleiente recruited me for his new project and asked me to test it.
i suppose if the posting system allowed it we could have transferred the thread-post from FOTRSU to Ralles but it doesn't.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 08:54 AM   #6711
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks Front Runner. CapnScurvy found and corrected that one for the next release. I'm going to hazard a guess that you attempted to look at it while opening the "Red Cross" section, and not the "Merchants" section, correct?

Yes. I accessed the recognition manual by opening the "Red Cross" section, not the "Merchants" section.

I like to play test the new betas by playing at 1x speed and clicking everywhere and testing all the functions. I just happened to be playing with the Periscopes and TBT paging through all the "eye candy" new to v71.

I have my "Radio" section set up with all of Fred's Radios and I've created my own "Classical" Radio Station and listen to old time radio and recorded classical music (including opera) while sailing along at 1x. Archive.org is a treasure trove of music, speeches, news, from the WW2 era.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 09:45 AM   #6712
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer
probably because that is where Bleiente recruited me for his new project and asked me to test it.
i suppose if the posting system allowed it we could have transferred the thread-post from FOTRSU to Ralles but it doesn't.
No problem MB, it's just we have enough "going on" in the thread without heading into another direction.

==========

Let's hope we can get Rockin Robbins to post our next version soon. It's been ready for a couple of weeks now. Propbeanie, s7rikeback, and I would like the next version posted for all to use/test....just waiting on the "owner" of this thread to do it?!?

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 11-05-18, 03:32 PM   #6713
nionios
Soundman

Downloads: 82
Default Recharge stop

In some cases when batteries are damaged and finally get fixed, the recharging stops always at a specific percentage.Does it mean a "stealth" damage? Or a bug?

Last edited by nionios; 11-05-18 at 03:41 PM.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 03:40 PM   #6714
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
In some cases when batteries are damaged and finally get fixed, the recharging stops always at a specific percentage.
Well - that's the way it is in "real" life, nothing can actually be completely repaired.

Old 11-05-18, 05:27 PM   #6715
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
In some cases when batteries are damaged and finally get fixed, the recharging stops always at a specific percentage.Does it mean a "stealth" damage? Or a bug?
As Bleiente says, if you're out on patrol, they can only do so much with lead sheet plates hanging in acid, stored in a glass jar. You break the glass while submerged, and your crew might die from gas poisoning. Drop a plate, and the battery no longer holds a charge, and will bring the rest of the battery bank down. Once you get into port for re-fit and repairs, they should get your boat fixed up though... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 10:09 AM   #6716
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Default Celestial Sphere out of sync. Strange sunrise - suset behavior

I’m not sure how to describe this, but here goes.
Bałao class out of Brisbane, Jan 1944.
I start and check sunset and sunrise times. They appear to be reasonably close to archived almanac times. I then proceed toward the Bismarck Sea at 1x time leaving the simulation to run day and night saving as I go. I do this because I’m going about my daily routine listening to Fred’s Radios in the background, interacting with the game from time to time. I finally arrive at the Bismarck Sea patrol area which is almost due north of Brisbane, so I haven’t crossed any in-game “time zones.” On my way I notice that the sunset-sunrise times are getting progressively later (earlier?) so sunrise is happening at midnight.
I then go back and load my save game whence I started and this time I use time compression all the way to the Bismarck Sea. When I check sunset-sunrise times they are when they should be.
It seems that by playing at 1x the celestial sphere gets out of sync with game time.
I’ve made plenty of save games within both branches, the 1x branch and the time compression branch.
I’ve also noticed some other issues which may lead to understanding this phenomenon such as being attacked by air in the middle of my “game night” (in 1x) while the clock indicates it should be daylight.
I’ll leave this description here and hope that one of the developers and/or modders have some ideas as to what might be causing this.

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-20-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 12:35 PM   #6717
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Front runner,
You are not alone on this one. I have been playing FOTRS ULTIMATE since it's inception and have had same experience. But I also had this happen in TMO MOD as well so it may be (hard coded) in the original release of SH-4?
captnmike
Old 11-09-18, 12:47 PM   #6718
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I’m not sure how to describe this, but here goes.
Bałao class out of Brisbane, Jan 1944.
I start and check sunset and sunrise times. They appear to be reasonably close to archived almanac times. I then proceed toward the Bismarck Sea at 1x time leaving the simulation to run day and night saving as I go. I do this because I’m going about my daily routine listening to Fred’s Radios in the background, interacting with the game from time to time. I finally arrive at the Bismarck Sea patrol area which is almost due north of Brisbane, so I haven’t crossed any in-game “time zones.” On my way I notice that the sunset-sunrise times are getting progressively later (earlier?) so sunrise is happening at midnight.
I then go back and load my save game whence I started and this time I use time compression all the way to the Bismarck Sea. When I check sunset-sunrise times they are when they should be.
It seems that by playing at 1x the celestial sphere gets out of sync with game time.
I’ve made plenty of save games within both branches, the 1x branch and the time compression branch.
I’ve also noticed some other issues which may lead to understanding this phenomenon such as being attacked by air in the middle of my “game night” (in 1x) while the clock indicates it should be daylight.
I’ll leave this description here and hope that one of the developers has some ideas as to what might be causing this.
There hasn't been a Ubisoft Silent Hunter "Developer" on the SubSim Forum pages for years!! Their all retired; in the Romanian Army as conscript's; or working for other companies making "apps" like Candy Crush.

The game is truly only a "representation" of real world time and space....it should not be considered accurate or factual. Especially when it comes to things like time and space. The game's "time" is relative to the "Sub Base Time" your sub left from, however it's not accurate in a sense that a true hour of game time is equal to a true hour of real world time. Nope, it's going to run "off" by several minutes per "24 hour day".

Regarding "space", a quick look at the map screen will show you the distance's between point A to B are not accurate. Pick any point you want, measure the distance between one point to the other, then search for the true measured distances between these points. They won't even be close. Some say it's due to the fact the game see's the world as a flat surface, not a curved one. But, whatever the reason, distance between two points is as void of reality as the space between some folks "ear's".

Quote:
Old 11-09-18, 01:31 PM   #6719
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

CapnScurvy,
Thanks for your explanation of time and world map layout.
I assume that also means there is no fix for said condition,
Also this is a minor inconvenience considering how FORTSU
has excelled SH-4 to it's current playable state!
Hat's off to all you dedicated moder's !!
captnmike
Old 11-09-18, 01:38 PM   #6720
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
There hasn't been a Ubisoft Silent Hunter "Developer" on the SubSim Forum pages for years!!

I meant the modders, ("developers") of FOTRSU. The SH4 "Gurus" who know all there is to know, heheheh..... BTW, you are all doing an incredible job!

I understand about the "base" time issues. I know that when you travel east - west and cross "time" zones, the astronomical simulation changes. There should be a time difference between Tokyo and Pearl Harbor.
I didn't think that when traveling north - south there would be such a drastic difference when playing at 1x and virtually no difference at all when playing at time compression. I suppose the game was never intended to be played at 1x except when under attack or making an attack.

When I play at 1x and arrive at the Bismarck Sea from Brisbane, there is a several hour difference in the in-game clock sunset - sunrise from when I left Brisbane.
When I play at time compression speeds, there is very little difference in the in-game clock sunset - sunrise from when I left Brisbane. I take into consideration the (supposed) difference in the length of days the further south or north of the equator for any given calendar date.

Oh well, I was hoping someone could explain why there is such a difference at 1x and virtually no difference during time compression.

Last edited by Front Runner; 11-11-18 at 08:36 AM.