SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-16, 10:24 AM   #16
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Hahahaha that cracked me up Commander Wallace !

While you are correct about that repository and updating in the background I just have to say that Ubuntu sucks. Well it did on my rig until I got rid of the entire operating system. But that was years ago. Never looked back.

Ashikaga.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 10:43 AM   #17
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Hahahaha that cracked me up Commander Wallace !

While you are correct about that repository and updating in the background I just have to say that Ubuntu sucks. Well it did on my rig until I got rid of the entire operating system. But that was years ago. Never looked back.

Ashikaga.
What cracks you up ?

Everyone has their likes and dislikes and choices regarding operating systems is probably no different. I don't think there is one system out there that everyone is going to like. The trick is to be able streamline things to their own likings. Most feel Microsoft works against the users best interests.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 11:48 AM   #18
Ashikaga
Commodore

This remark made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

If it's too much work to find a proceed button I suggest you use a cell phone. Oh yeah, Android is a derivative of Linux.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 05:12 PM   #19
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
I hope if you do try Linux again, that it works out for you. Hopefully the issues you had were minor settling in adjustments. Maybe the newest versions of Linux will be more to your liking.

Best regards.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 05:23 AM   #20
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Holy crap Ashikaga! It's a hassle to start up your machine, Update starts automatically, says "you have xx operating system updates and xx program updates" and you have a proceed button. When you push it, not only the operating sytem BUT EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM ON YOUR MACHINE is updated in the background while you proceed with whatever you want to do. Where's the "hassle?" Finding the freaking proceed button?

Adding programs. You have a single repository where just about every Linux program is vetted, certified virus free and completely updated. Start up one of many package managers, my favorite is Synaptic Package Manager, and you can find anything from the same place. And you are not restricted to repositories. If you want to download programs the risky Windows way by going to a website you are able to do that too.

Especially the easy way that Linux updates both operating system and every program on your machine with a single button push ("too much hassle!!!") is so far ahead of Windows that statements about too much hassle are ludicrous.
When I try to install the RPMforge repository

Code:
rpm -Uvh http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm

I am getting this error
Code:
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
error: skipping http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm - transfer failed

What do I need to do, Steve?
Old 08-30-16, 02:27 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Neal, best way for you is to find the dominating English Linux Mint forum and community website, and ask there. Do not be shy to ask in the Newbie section. If it is like with the main German Mint forum website, then you will be given good advise and the needed spells to cure your curse.

The major German website would be: http://www.linuxmintusers.de/

For English it cold be this one: https://forums.linuxmint.com/
Old 08-30-16, 04:05 PM   #22
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Ok, thanks
Old 08-30-16, 05:03 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

It's proven advise - I need to make more use of that forum myself than I like.
Old 09-20-16, 12:43 PM   #24
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I wonder if MS doing what they're doing is the cause from most gaming going to Steam. Steam isn't all that bad, but I'd rather install a game or sim and play it from my computer only. With Steam there are some games that you can't add updates, plug-in managers, other game improvements. You play on their terms not yours.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 10:53 PM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Today I troubleshot the overly complicated setup procedure for Silent Hunter 4 under Ubuntu Linux. It was tough.
Place SH4 disk in drive. Find setup.exe on the disk with the file manager of your choice. I used Dolphin. Right-click setup.exe and choose "install with Wine."

Wait. It's installed. Slide the U-boat missions disk in there and do the same thing. Enter your serial number. Play.

But I went several steps further today. I copied JSGME, Large Memory Address Aware and all 3.8 GB of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v0.25 beta. I installed MULTI-SH4, ran it successfully and created a second install for GFO.

It all just works. Just as easily as Windows. No command line terminal mumbo-jumbo, no screwing with configuration tweaks. It installed and ran identically to a Windows machine.

Except Ubuntu is not collecting unknown data that belongs to me, encrypting it and sending it to Microsoft twice a day at my expense. And it isn't using half the tiles in a facetiously named "start menu" to sell me things I won't buy.

The same program on Ubuntu tends to run twice as fast as it does in Windows on my machine.

Instead of serving sites that host a Windows system recovery .iso, the same one that can be created by any Windows user by themselves, with DMCA takedown demands Ubuntu encourages dozens of system recovery boot packages like RescaTux, which I used today. RescaTux can save your Windows system too when your forced upgrade locks up your machine and Microsoft leaves you completely stranded.

I'd say more but I'm taking off to play some FOTRS Ultimate on my cumbersome Linux system that created the mod yesterday.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-23-16 at 08:14 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 08:06 AM   #26
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Code:
rpm -Uvh http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
I am getting this error
Code:
error: skipping http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm - transfer failed
Hey Neal, I missed your post! Sorry.

Looks like you're using a Red Hat derivative like Fedora. I'm not an expert on that. Ubuntu has all that preinstalled and you just run it. Actually, it runs itself on startup and offers to update everything on your machine. Commander Wallace is our Fedora expert.

Once FOTRS Ultimate Edition has left the nest and we're just working on plugins, I look forward to doing a thread with Commander Wallace and others on a "Get acquainted with Linux" thread.

Seems like there should be a way to use the GUI, but one of the reasons I'm not using Fedora is that they're still stuck on the computer geek position that if you can't use the command line you don't deserve to use Linux. Ubuntu is much more GUI oriented. You CAN use the terminal but almost always have the opportunity to use a GUI solution.

To be fair, there is much in Windows that you must use a command window to accomplish. Even something so simple as copying a directory tree that has 10 layers and a couple hundred files can be copied three to ten times quicker in the command window using xcopy than it can in Windows Explorer, which totally chokes on the job.

Commander Wallace is your Fedora expert. When you see .rpm repository, that means a Red Hat derivative Linux distribution. I personally wouldn't recommend that for a person fresh from Windows. But that could be just because I'm not too familiar with it.
Old 09-23-16, 08:17 AM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I think in the end I decided that repoforge was down, not responding. I tried several times to access the links via Windows just to see if I could d/l the file to no avail. I went another way with the Linux install and it worked.
Old 09-23-16, 08:22 AM   #28
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Code:
I am getting this error
Code:
Let's do a little troubleshooting. Your errors say "couldn't connect to host" and "transfer failed." That could mean several things, but the #1 reason for that is that the web site specified couldn't be found. On your first line the web address starts with "http://pkgs.repoforge.org." Cut and paste that into the address bar of your browser and you'll get "Problem loading page" blah, blah, blah, which means there's no website to be found with that address.

The achilles heel of the terminal is that it is literally literal! Typos are severely punished and every single character must be accurate. It's like typing URLs into your web browser. Nobody does that. Why? Because it's impossible to type "http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2430652" accurately more than two times in ten attempts.

There's something wrong with the web address in your terminal command that prevented you from accessing the site you wanted to reach.

Repoforge hasn't been updated in awhile, but repoforge.org does work. Going to the "Using Repoforge" page you find
Quote:
Using RepoForge

First download the appropriate rpmforge-release package for your distribution:
Then you can use rpm or yum to install the downloaded package. The package installation will enable the RepoForge repo for subsequent use via yum.
More detailed instructions and recommendations are available on the CentOS wiki.
Hints:
  • Use cat /etc/redhat-release to find which release of EL you are using
  • Use uname -a to find your processor architecture
  • Use rpm -ivh package-filename to install the rpmforge-release package (also works with URLs)
  • You can use wget or curl to download the package using one of the above links if needed (for example on a server with no X Window)
  • Then you can use yum to install the available packages from the RepoForge repo, e.g. yum install --enablerepo=rpmforge-extras`
  • Afterward, you can disable accidental updates from the repo by setting enabled = 0 in the repo definition file in /etc/yum.repos.d/
And I clicked on one of the links. The repositories aren't available! The links are dead.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-23-16 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 08:39 AM   #29
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yup, another great plan bites the dust!
Old 09-24-16, 04:13 AM   #30
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
... Actually, it runs itself on startup and offers to update everything on your machine. Commander Wallace is our Fedora expert.

Seems like there should be a way to use the GUI, but one of the reasons I'm not using Fedora is that they're still stuck on the computer geek position that if you can't use the command line you don't deserve to use Linux.
There is an update program in Fedora (KDE has "Apper") which uses the GUI to update everything... and I mean EVERYTHING. (which is currently in my taskbar showing me that I have updates... nope, all my Windows & Linux games (except 2) work at the moment, I want to keep it that way!)

It will update all the programs unless you specifically de-select an option.

Using the "Geeky Elitest" command line terminal (that only "deserving" Linux users know how to use ) you can use "dnf" (formerly yum) and update everything EXCEPT whatever you added to the "exclude" list in the config file.
(Sorry RR, but you give me so much "ammo" I can't resist!)

I've had Fedora on older HDDs, or dual booted since Fedora Core 3.
I've used too many different OSs and modded too many games, and coded way too much to be slowed down by a GUI.
However until I figured out all the changes, I did use the GUI interface for settings for the first several months when I switched over to using exclusively Linux. When in unfamiliar territory, having a "map" is very helpful. I don't fault anyone for using a GUI, but some times, I want the PC to do something specific.

But I used DOS first. I am VERY comfortable with a Command Line Interface.
For me a .txt config file is preferred because I can "search", then "edit" then save and go about my buisiness. Messing with a GUI that someone wants to change every 2 versions is more time than it is worth, FOR ME. (EXAMPLE: Windows, every other version thereof.)

I tried Ubuntu, but Unity REALLY didn't 'jive' with me. I REALLY HATE a full screen menu (see: android, Ios, WIndows 8/8.1/10), which I think KDE had in Fedora 16. (not sure which KDE version it was.)
(I liked GNOME's simple interface (circa Redhat9) way back when, but I could NEVER find the "config" in the menu, KDE it was there. So I switched.)

Fedora is not perfect, but it does flow well with me, since I like to set up EVERYTHING the way I want it.
There are some things that I have to change, but mostly I'm setting it up each time I install a new version, but it does keep me using the commands, and remembering where things are, and how they work, etc.

Barracuda

P.S. I forgot to mention this but, LINUX is the Kernel, it is the "Command Line". The GUI is built on top of that, so unless the 'Desktop' has gone through and made a Graphical interface for each and every program running on Linux, then some things will REQUIRE the use of the CL. Depending on how they interface with the desktop and program, they might not work with all desktops. I've had it happen before.
(Now I am running "Gnome Disk Utility" in KDE, and it works. But I've had several different versions of Fedora and a few other Distros, like, Knoppix, that the desktops were in a "transitional" phase, so using some programs designed for GNOME, etc, in KDE, didn't want to work.)

P.P.S. This had nothing to do with the OP, or M$.... hmm. I must be getting easily distractable... oh look! a squirel!

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 09-24-16 at 04:38 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote