SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-12, 05:34 AM   #211
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

iPhone 4 here, quite happy with it and actually like the Apple ecosystem-at least for music/apps. While I like the "smartphone" part of it, it also has allowed me to skip getting an ipod and a mobile gaming system (can't replace PC gaming of course but the quality of many ios games has actually surprised me).

Just a bit tired of "phone wars" though.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 12:35 PM   #212
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
How to make friends and influence people!
Either by talking vis-a-vis or by spending the time to write a letter instead of doing a quickie by hitting the "I like" button or by throwing in a 3 seconds-tweet...?
Old 10-05-12, 12:45 PM   #213
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post

Just a bit tired of "phone wars" though.
Oh, that is snothing, just wait for Windows 8 - MS obviously tries to change the game for PCs as well and turn the Windows PC into a closed system like Apple and its depending iUniverse.

Background: if MS succeeds and people tolerate W8, it will spell agony for games on PCs, but maybe will bring Linux the long awaited breakthrough not only on servers, but home PCs as well. Steam starts to develope for Linux now, in reaction to W8. The Minecraft developer has refused a MS request to let his game being licensed for W8. I hope more game studios and developers do like this. Business is not eager to buy W8 either, since they have longer updating cycles for basic software, than private households. If now gamers could be sensible enough for the future of gaming, and boycott W8 as well, then there is hope that the PC will remain to be a free gaming platform for some years longer. Windows 8 must fail - we cannot afford to let it become a success for MS. It would kill the PC as we know it. Turning the PC into a closed universe like Apple is the real drive behind Microsoft pushing tablets and W8 Metro. The latter are only baits to soften up resistance to their real ambition.

The more costly a W8 debacle for MS becomes, the better.
Old 10-05-12, 12:49 PM   #214
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Jeesh, Sky. That sounds pretty anti-social
I just hate to talk with somebody on a wire. I prefer email, chat or forum, to phoning. Because when I talk to somebody, then I want it to be vis-a-vis.

McCoy hates transporters. I hate telephones. I also hate to jump just because somebody else hits a button. Telephones have the unpleasant feature of ringing at right that time when you do not need any disturbance at all.
Old 10-05-12, 03:45 PM   #215
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

You might want to get your blood sugar checked.

longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 11:46 AM   #216
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Still pushing data with my HTC EVO. Going on year three. Ain't broke. Ain't fixing it.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 12:00 AM   #217
Anthony W.
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Still pushing data with my HTC EVO. Going on year three. Ain't broke. Ain't fixing it.
I got my Evo in 09' as well haha

No cracks or anything so far.

Proud Ford Mustang owner

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut

Run silent - run deep - keep the baffles clear - targets front and center.

Private pilot and history buff
Anthony W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 01:45 AM   #218
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Oh, that is snothing, just wait for Windows 8 - MS obviously tries to change the game for PCs as well and turn the Windows PC into a closed system like Apple and its depending iUniverse.

Background: if MS succeeds and people tolerate W8, it will spell agony for games on PCs, but maybe will bring Linux the long awaited breakthrough not only on servers, but home PCs as well. Steam starts to develope for Linux now, in reaction to W8. The Minecraft developer has refused a MS request to let his game being licensed for W8. I hope more game studios and developers do like this. Business is not eager to buy W8 either, since they have longer updating cycles for basic software, than private households. If now gamers could be sensible enough for the future of gaming, and boycott W8 as well, then there is hope that the PC will remain to be a free gaming platform for some years longer. Windows 8 must fail - we cannot afford to let it become a success for MS. It would kill the PC as we know it. Turning the PC into a closed universe like Apple is the real drive behind Microsoft pushing tablets and W8 Metro. The latter are only baits to soften up resistance to their real ambition.

The more costly a W8 debacle for MS becomes, the better.
Skybird, you have to differentiate between Windows 8 desktop and Windows 8 Metro apps. Windows 8 desktop programs remain as today.

Metro is more or less in the first version a touch-based OS and I do not think that on the desktop it becomes the major flavor in the foreseeable future.

I know a lot of people say the desktop is dead, blabla but I do not believe that. Often the same people complain that they do not wanna work with a tablet for more than an hour.

I also do not like closed systems but we have to tolerate that probably the majority of end users exactly wanna having this due to security and stability issues. 95% of the non IT-people also do not install apps on web pages...they just go to the market.

So, personally I hope MS has success so that Apple gets a further competitor.
From a developer perspective MS has the best development tools and framework, which I like very much.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 05:31 AM   #219
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Are not you people tired of ranting about every new version of windows and how the previous one was the best...so far win95 was the best one or 3.11.

Seriously...

Does this guy look like some one who means you any harm.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 03:52 PM   #220
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Either by talking vis-a-vis or by spending the time to write a letter instead of doing a quickie by hitting the "I like" button or by throwing in a 3 seconds-tweet...?
I understand and agree, it's better to make time to meet and talk in person, but some times text/phone is better. I try to hit a happy medium, I don't want to be this guy.
Old 10-07-12, 07:05 PM   #221
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony W. View Post
I got my Evo in 09' as well haha

No cracks or anything so far.
It's a sturdy phone. Feels more rugged then the newer phones. I have thrown it in anger a few times. The darn thing keeps on going.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 09:57 PM   #222
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

You know, I'm not an Apple hater, and the first iPhone really set the trend for cool, useable smart phones. But after having my LG Optimus Elite for a week, and comparing it to my daughter's iPhone 4, I have to say I am struck by the difference in the cases. The iPhone has a really square edge, it's a 90 degree angle that's not really very contoured

It looks like the first iPhone was much sleeker, am I right?

The LG and many of the Android phones are really sculpted,
Old 10-11-12, 06:48 AM   #223
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Looks like handy device...
Newer phones are sort of cross between phone and tablet hence the shape and the big screen.
It is sort of compromise, if they make it any bigger it will be sort of ridiculous it is phone after all...
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 04:27 PM   #224
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

And you know its true ^
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 04:41 PM   #225
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Iphone 3gs 16GB,

Like that: is simple, tidy OS, reliable, does everthing reasonably well, Camera Video quality is still pretty damn good. And has enough games to make a PSP blush.

Hate that: Its made by Apple , the battery is built in, the camera has no flash or zoom, and that for such an expensive product (upon its launch) the casing is cheapo crap that cracks everywhere from 'pocket stress' No I've never dropped it....
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile, phone