SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-12, 11:01 AM   #31
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Intel setups use triple channel which is the 3 ram sticks (I'm not sure if this is a must or a can use as I've never built an Intel setup)
AMD setups can use dual channel which is the 2 ram sticks

well the majority of intel boards made today are still only for dual channel with only a few "premium" boards that use 3 channel as seen here so they still have both versions of intel boards which is a little confusing as to if 3 channel is that much better then dual channel or if its just an option used to get more ram capacity

Last edited by Webster; 06-30-12 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-30-12, 01:23 PM   #32
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
Uploads: 0

i know P55 motherboards use triple or at least my EVGA P55 did.
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 08:50 AM   #33
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KZDV8E/...?tag=dradis-20

so this i3 wouldnt be enough even at 3.3ghz ??
Old 07-01-12, 09:08 AM   #34
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KZDV8E/...?tag=dradis-20

so this i3 wouldnt be enough even at 3.3ghz ??

in my opinion that CPU will do nicely, any quad core you get will do the job nowdays

i dont know if you ask this based on the last posted comments but we were talking about ram channels on the motherboards not CPU cores
Old 07-02-12, 01:07 PM   #35
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

webster you trip me out sometimes,lol. i posted that on the bases of the earlier posts about downgrading from a i7 to a i3 or i5. the reson why i posted it was to get opinions on it because of the price and ghz compared to the i7 i used to use. thank you for your response as that was what i needed to know if a i3 would run SH5 smoothly.
Old 07-02-12, 02:30 PM   #36
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
webster you trip me out sometimes,lol.
well i get lost sometimes as i am reviewing 2 forums in sh4, 2 forums in sh5, and surfing sh3 forums as well so i seldom can actually follow a thread to keep track of things beyond the last 2 or 3 posts without getting mixed up lol.

i dont mind being confused, im used to it
Old 07-03-12, 12:42 AM   #37
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

you sound like me.
Old 07-10-12, 11:58 AM   #38
scissors
Shore leave

Downloads: 303
Default Some build tips And common mistakes

Dont build a system hoping you will upgrade it later , This was stated earlier in this same thread but i will offer my experience as to why .
I built a nice amd system ,Asus crossfire ready MB , 4 gigs ram( 2 ,2 gig sticks in a set )MB has 4 ram slots( with intentions of getting 4 more gigs later)2 more 2 gig sticks...
,I only bought one video card , Was going to get the other later .

The videocard , which has to be a very specific model to work in crossfire, is no longer available .

ALL Ram(Motherboard mounted memory) must be bought in a complete matched set!!

,Even the Same ram from same maker will not work if bought in two or more separate pieces!!,
Must be a matched set .
I must throw away my old 4 gigs of ram to upgrade to 8 gigs( ended up getting two 4 gig sticks )For dual channel .

Otherwise ...crash or no boot at all . Had i known all this from the beginning i would have built differently and had a better system or saved some money .

Even buying two video-cards at this point is not looking good because for the cost of an actual upgrade in cards( my card is a 256 bit and they are expensive) i could start on a whole new system and be much better off with new OS .
Besides the fact that the Graphics card plugs have changed twice i think since i built this system . There just arent that many cards on the market that will still fit my system .

Your Bit width is biggest factor, all other things equal, in video card performance, ( and price),
256 Bit is the running standard but 512 bit cards are becoming more popular , 64 and 128 bit cards are common and cheap but i dont use them ,

This is not the same as on-board Video-card memory !!!,A 64 bit card with 512 megs of memory will not perform as well as same 256 bit card with 512 megs of memory and probably not as well as one with half as much memory.

None the less , My system works mostly flawlessly with SH5 since i got the 8 gigs of ram , I have a triple core proc ( phenom II)at 2.8 ghrts , 512 megs ram on Videocard (Radeon 4830 256 bit ). The Asus board has been really easy to work with and i think ive done some things to it that would have ruined a lesser board ( i have seen smoke when playing with fan wires OOpsy) . Its nearly 4 years old and cost around 700 dollars to build then.Could build better for less now ,As DX is better . But my system has held up pretty well .
Im only running Vista , You operating system is what decides what Direct X you can run so always build to the latest operating system if you looking to the latest and greatest graphics . SH5 is DX9 so if its all you wanting to run vista will suffice but its just as cheap to go W7 or later at this point , Most os ranges 100 bucks it doesnt matter what version .

Finally be careful when choosing your power supply , Get one too big and you(hopefully) wont ever notice it or have issues, Too small and you will have intermittent and hard to diagnose problems , Besides it will run longer and cooler ( and thus quieter)if its not constantly pushed to its limit .

This is all accurate as far as i know , There may indeed be some instances where memory can be added from a different batch , In the old days it was no problem to add another stick so long as it was the same type/speed memory .
However in our new dual and triple channel world apparently this has changed .. Just something to keep in mind if you are building .
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 06:01 PM   #39
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

will one gtx 550/560 ti run fine with SH5?
Old 07-13-12, 10:44 PM   #40
scissors
Shore leave

Default gtx 550

Quote:
will one gtx 550/560 ti run fine with SH5?
I dont own that card but...
SH5 on the box Requirements state that the GTX 200 series is supported , The GTX 550 is a 192 bit card which the way Nvidea is doing things now is pretty much similar to a 256 bit card but ,,the gtx560 is a 256 bit card . so...
I would think that its high clock rate and 1 gb onboard memory should be quite enough .
It should rock .My guess is its overkill.
sh5 loves to use memory i know this for a fact . It requires 2 gb ram , I had 4 and had slight frame rate issues that disappeared with 8 ..
My card is only 256 bit, 512 meg card , I dont think its ever been a bottleneck .
Old 07-13-12, 11:27 PM   #41
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

i had three 9800 gtx+ 512s running and it would lag a little on video and i couldnt run AA. when i baught two 570 superclocked and ran them with my system there was no problems at all, ran smoother than a babies bottom,lol.

this was my old system that i sold( just the main parts):
EVGA P55 200 Motherboard
i7 core 860 2.8ghz-CoolIt Liquid cooled set up
8gigs of ram at 1333
2 EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked in SLI
Kingston 1000watt power supply
Nvidia Edition Mid-tower Case with all 120mm fans

that computer rocked everything from SH5 to BF 3.

now im looking just to run SH5. ive priced some parts and ive rang up a grand total of about 1600 dollars and thats the whole computer with monitor and sound system, mouse/ keyboard, etc. but im still going back and forth with V-cards and going SLI or not. So all of your input is very helpful.
Old 07-17-12, 11:51 AM   #42
scissors
Shore leave

Default Dangit now I have the fever .

Well , It figures , I was all happy with my system but the more i research and the more i visit newegg the more i want ... MORE .
Its wishlist time ..

I thought this was noteworthy....
... as i have researched cards and procs , trying to answer my own questions that mainly mirror those raised in this thread .
The wisdom of Sober and TDW in their recommendations on this thread .
namely , I was confused as to why Win 7 would be recommended other than its basically the only Os available anymore.. .
Vista is a DX 10 os, and SH5 is only a dx9 program , seemingly XP would even be enough .
But upon further research on neweggs forums the answer comes to light .
Win 7 allows better utilisation of multicore cpu .It spreads the workload better , Much better .
SH5 is very Cpu intensive .

Just thought i would share that .
Old 07-17-12, 06:28 PM   #43
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

well its not only that. windows 7 uses less ram than vista and xp so more ram usage goes to what your system is actusally doing rather than maintianing windows. yes you have other OSs at your disposel but windows 7 seems to be the more applicable to what your purpose is. so from what i gathered together so far im totaling out at 1600 bucks for the whole computer building it myself. parts include:
asus z77 motherboard
3.4ghz i7 2nd gen.
16gigs of ram
1tb hard drive
one or two gtx 560 tis
850 to 1000watt power supply
asus dvd rom
random gaming keyboard/ mouse from logitech
samsung 24 120hz refresh LED monitor
some random case for 80 bucks with 120 mm fans all around
and a basic 2.1 sound system

Now i did find all this stuff on amazon.com which they seem to be preety good on pricing.

regards,
drakkhen20
Old 07-17-12, 10:48 PM   #44
scissors
Shore leave

Default No ssd ?

Looks like a really,.. really nice build .

If i were dropping nearly two grand I might consider also ..
SSD, If nothing but a 60 gb to fast boot the os ,You would have room for sh5 also .. The intel drives seem to have less problems than the others . Less than 100 bucks , Other brands for around 50 but some have high failure rates according to forums .Would have thought ssd would be no failure rate , you know, because its solid state and no moving parts .. anyways ...

Maybe 32 gigs of ram ,
might be overkill but im ram scared anymore since my last debacle .
Old 07-18-12, 03:37 PM   #45
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

yes ive noticed ive always had less trouble out of the intel chipsets. my father is ram happy too. he browses the internet and wants 16 gigs of ram,lol. 32 is defintly over kill. at the end of the year ill let people know how it does but i do predict it will be more than fine. 1600 bucks is a rounded price anyway, i havent picked out specific parts just yet. but hopefully this thread will help others decide on what they want to upgrade or build.