SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-14, 05:52 AM   #106
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirnicknack View Post
Have you thought about creating a wiki for all the ship systems? as the game grows and more systems get added it will make it easier for people to learn the exact mechanics of each system for instance the way bilge pumps don't work after a certain depth etc.

Your adding some really well thought out systems with complicated mechanics but they are kind of transparent unless the player is paying close attention to each system. Having the details of each system documented would make modding support easier if you decide to add it and help the learning curve for new starters if the game grows more complex. Players could also add a lot of content around tutorials or strategies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkiBas View Post
Just wanted to drop by and say that I found out about this game through that RPS article and I'm really loving it!
Had to die a lot of times, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it...

Many Thanks!
Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 06:20 AM   #107
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirnicknack View Post
Have you thought about creating a wiki for all the ship systems? as the game grows and more systems get added it will make it easier for people to learn the exact mechanics of each system for instance the way bilge pumps don't work after a certain depth etc.

Your adding some really well thought out systems with complicated mechanics but they are kind of transparent unless the player is paying close attention to each system. Having the details of each system documented would make modding support easier if you decide to add it and help the learning curve for new starters if the game grows more complex. Players could also add a lot of content around tutorials or strategies.
Yeah, a wiki would definitely help make the learning curve a bit less daunting. Would also be a good place to share info about modding the game, creating new submarines etc - I'll look into making one soon.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 11:06 AM   #108
Marcin
Nub

Downloads: 32

Long time SH3 fan but not a regular forumer - dropped in by way of the RPS article to say amazing job, and keep it up!

So far half the crew dead although pressure hull repaired in the torpedo compartment; reactor leaking; fire suppression system malfunctioning - crew on break. Absolutely loving this so far, barely scratching the surface.
Marcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 01:43 PM   #109
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Marcin

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 02:58 PM   #110
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hmm tried to play it but gives me nothing but an "Illegal Memory address" on start.
Old 04-27-14, 05:38 PM   #111
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
Hmm tried to play it but gives me nothing but an "Illegal Memory address" on start.
googling this i found some people had this problem with the game and apparently they made it work with either :
- running it as administrator
- adding it as a safe program in your "Data Execution Prevention" , method to do that in case you don't know :
http://www.windowsanswers.net/articles/dep-config

By the way, enable the mouse in the gameoptions.ini, it makes the game a lot more pleasing to play with.
I hope there will be some more work on the mouse support so we can tweak all those panels and levers in the sub with the mouse, but already the ability to move the cursor and click around in the sub helps gameplay a lot.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 06:03 PM   #112
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie View Post
googling this i found some people had this problem with the game and apparently they made it work with either :
- running it as administrator
- adding it as a safe program in your "Data Execution Prevention" , method to do that in case you don't know :
http://www.windowsanswers.net/articles/dep-config
Ah the DEP was the issue, only second program I've ever had that issue with.
Old 04-29-14, 08:30 AM   #113
MrBismarck
Nub

Downloads: 1

A pause button that doesn't dump me back to the start screen would be useful.

I'd love an FTL-style pause that allows me to issue orders and properly consider which of the crew should be the one sent to the only room not on fire.
MrBismarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 08:43 AM   #114
TheGeoff
Planesman

Yeah, an 'active' pause function which allows you to look around and issue orders would be really useful and is definitely planned for the future.

Not sure why the game is running into problems with Windows DEP, but quite a few people are reporting it!
Old 04-29-14, 06:56 PM   #115
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Someone created a thread about Sub Commander on the Roguelike subreddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/c...sed_roguelike/
Old 04-30-14, 11:01 AM   #116
NefariousKoel
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

What a great idea.

Two of my favorite genres.. sub simming and roguelikes.
Old 04-30-14, 07:02 PM   #117
MrBismarck
Nub

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeoff View Post
Yeah, an 'active' pause function which allows you to look around and issue orders would be really useful and is definitely planned for the future.
No rush. Is it done yet?

I've tried playing without the pause and it all goes wrong much too quickly to be funny. I need it to go wrong slowly and painfully so I can enjoy it.
MrBismarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 08:52 AM   #118
TheGeoff
Planesman

Version 0.22 released!
http://goo.gl/Qpr0w1

Changelog:
  • Aircraft are now simulated in much greater detail. They can be selected (targeted) with LShift+T - although obviously they can't be hurt with torpedoes. There are currently 8 types of aircraft in game with many more planned.
  • Weapon graphics in the periscope view have been redone. The little red dots have been replaced with proper graphics for missiles, torpedoes, depth charges and cannon shells.
  • Overhauled the anti-submarine weapons of AI ships. Now they will fire proper depth charges at you, which you will see sinking through the water around your sub and detonating. Much more realistic and it also looks really cool.
  • Added Sweden, Finland and Canada to the game. All 3 nations are playable.
  • Added 6 new cities, bringing the total to 65.
  • Added many, MANY more crew names and ship names for almost every nation. A BIG THANK YOU TO THE FACEPUNCH COMMUNITY FOR HELPING CREATE THESE NEW NAME FILES!
  • Better hydrodynamics modelling has been implemented. Modern nuclear submarines are designed to be submerged most of the time - their hull design means they are most efficient when fully underwater. Your top speed is now effectively limited when surfaced or near the surface.
  • Moved a lot of formerly hard-coded data to ini files. It is now possible to create custom submarines - a submarine development toolkit will be available for download soon.
  • Sonar range has been increased by 25%.
  • Crew AI has been improved. Crew will now avoid fires better and are slightly better at judging risks.
  • A mission log has been added. While you play the game, it will record important events to "mission_log.txt" in the game folder. After the mission ends you can read this, make copies of it or whatever. I suggest making a folder to keep copies of your best missions / worst disasters
    *Note that the mission log is erased every time you start a new game*
  • SCBA gear (self contained breathing apparatus) has been added. This allows crew to survive indefinitely in low oxygen environments. 2 sets are available in the equipment storage.
  • As a temporary solution to the "equipment stuck on dead crew" problem, pieces of equipment will now teleport back into storage if their owner dies.
  • Aircraft and ship AI improvements.
  • Fixed the radio message bug.
  • It is now possible to restart the game without quitting. Simply press R on the pause menu - this will start a new game and randomise everything. You will lose all progress and the mission log will be overwritten.
  • Fixed a number of damage models, including the infamous torpedo fuel tanks. Now, as long as the fuel ventilation system is intact, the tanks will never explode. Numerous other systems were tweaked or fixed also.
  • The diesel generators will now switch off when you refit at a port, fixing an interesting bug pointed out on the Bay12 forums.
  • Fire suppression malfunctions now have a small chance of blowing up the Misc Systems Control Panel.
  • Fixed a bug where the game would freeze when playing as a completely neutral nation, because it couldn't figure out whose ships you should be sinking.
  • Numerous other bugfixes.
Old 05-01-14, 11:27 AM   #119
Marcin
Nub

Downloads: 32

You are a machine, sir. /salute

I know what *I* am doing tonight!

.... hmm, I wonder if this will run on this windows VM I have at work ... ^_^
Marcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 05:08 PM   #120
TheGeoff
Planesman

If you have downloaded v0.22 in the last 8 hours, please download it again. A very annoying bug in the fire suppression system has been fixed.