SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-21, 09:09 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Dark Waters, submarine school torpedo lessons...

As a Dark Waters novice I have now started with torpedo attack in the submarine school. The first ship I found I successfully torpedoed.

A little later I received the radio message that I had to sail to a second point where I, within a radius of 35 km., should find a second ship to torpedo too.

I've done that several times now, but that second ship is nowhere to be found!

Have you also experienced this? Is there a solution? Thank you!
Old 08-17-21, 10:37 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
As a Dark Waters novice I have now started with torpedo attack in the submarine school. The first ship I found I successfully torpedoed.

A little later I received the radio message that I had to sail to a second point where I, within a radius of 35 km., should find a second ship to torpedo too.

I've done that several times now, but that second ship is nowhere to be found!

Have you also experienced this? Is there a solution? Thank you!
If I remember right... that ship & the subsequent ones in that training, don't stay static. meaning they do roam about... just as a real target would do in career mode. Bear that in mind.

Oh, & on their detecting you... they will take evasive action... Gutd jagd, ihr Himmelhunde.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 08-17-21 at 05:39 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 03:32 AM   #3
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Finally I came across that ship...
And indeed it got away. So fast, I couldn't catch up! Not even with "wahnsinnige fahrt"! But you also wrote "If they detect you then they will take evasive action". So what do I learn from this statement? Simple, make sure they don't detect you! Right?

But you can be sure that as soon as I get the message "Ship in sight, long range" they've seen me too. Does that mean I have to constantly sail at periscope depth? Search the entire area with a diameter of 70 kilometers?

Interesting question!

Or is this the difference between reality and playing a game?

How do you handle this?

Last edited by easy; 08-19-21 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 07:04 AM   #4
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Second ship down!

Immediately after the message "ship, long range", to periscope depth, sneak to opponent, take time to fire, and fire! And down!

Now to third mission....

Regarding my previous post, I wrote: If I detect my opponent then my opponent has also detected me!

So Silent Hunter has to be a game, not a simulation.
Old 08-19-21, 03:15 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Second ship down!

Immediately after the message "ship, long range", to periscope depth, sneak to opponent, take time to fire, and fire! And down!

Now to third mission....

Regarding my previous post, I wrote: If I detect my opponent then my opponent has also detected me!

So Silent Hunter has to be a game, not a simulation.
On that, is 1 of those that is an ad hoc mix of both... is the way I look at it.

A game, that simulates real life.. as best as it is able to, given the constraints & limitations of the platform that you use it on... if that makes sense...

M. M.

And on a more personal note... good, glad you figured out the best plan of action, to accomplish sinking the 2nd target ship.

I knew you'd figure out how to approach the resolution of accomplishing the task.. on your own. Is a grand feeling when you knock it out of the ball park.

Old 08-19-21, 03:23 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Finally I came across that ship...
And indeed it got away. So fast, I couldn't catch up! Not even with "wahnsinnige fahrt"! But you also wrote "If they detect you then they will take evasive action". So what do I learn from this statement? Simple, make sure they don't detect you! Right?

But you can be sure that as soon as I get the message "Ship in sight, long range" they've seen me too. Does that mean I have to constantly sail at periscope depth? Search the entire area with a diameter of 70 kilometers?

Interesting question!

Or is this the difference between reality and playing a game?

How do you handle this?
As for that make sure they don't detect you... when you think on it.. an uninformed target, is an easier one to take down or out, moreso in a war footing setting... it's easier to take out, if they are not aware of your presence until it's too late. That applies to when your target is on an even footing with your own... on non combatants.. not so much, as I see it... but... if you can hinder their ability to rebuild/resupply/recover... then that's where things tend to get dicey... you know you need to interdict their ability to fight to gain the upper hand in battle. All the best you can do, is to try & achieve that goal, without it being the cost of your humanity in the process.

The difference in this being a game/sim... is that at the end of it or the day, as the case may be... you're still about to redo it all over again... where for them, once things ended.. well.. not a lot made it back home.. on any side of it all.
Old 08-19-21, 03:28 PM   #7
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you for your kind words...

In the meantime I have now also torpedoed the third ship with success!
Maybe I'll finally learn it!

Now I also have to say that somehow I like Dark Waters very much, maybe it's a bit of that too...
Old 08-21-21, 10:22 AM   #8
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Dark Waters, submarine school, ghost convoy

Dark Waters, submarine school, convoy attack.

I find the convoy in many different ways. That is, on my attack map.
Map updates allow me to see how the convoy is sailing and thus predict where it will be. I have set myself up in different ways. One time it almost has to sail over me, another time I'm lurking close by, waiting. Mind you, I see that on the attack map!

In reality through the periscope I never see anything!! Never one ship, never a convoy..

At one point, when I got sick of never seeing anything, I gave the order to surface, but even then I see nothing!!

What the hell am I doing wrong????
Old 08-21-21, 11:57 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Dark Waters, submarine school, convoy attack.

I find the convoy in many different ways. That is, on my attack map.
Map updates allow me to see how the convoy is sailing and thus predict where it will be. I have set myself up in different ways. One time it almost has to sail over me, another time I'm lurking close by, waiting. Mind you, I see that on the attack map!

In reality through the periscope I never see anything!! Never one ship, never a convoy..

At one point, when I got sick of never seeing anything, I gave the order to surface, but even then I see nothing!!

What the hell am I doing wrong????
To start with, some basic questions...

1. Source of your SH4 copy & what version is it.?

2. With installing, what is the exact location you installed it... did you allow it to send it to the default install or did you chose another area for it to install.?

3. Are you running any other copies of SH4, that are modded (or unmodded) by chance.?

3b. If you are, did you go with using MultiSH4

4. Did you use a 4GB patch for the SH4.exe to be assigned the ability to use more than the normal assigned by the computer allotment of 2 GB RAM, to 4 GB RAM.? Barring using a patch, did you instead opt for using Large Address Aware to assign it 4 GB's of RAM.?

With regards to having it modded to Operation Monsun Dark Waters.. you are using the last, latest version of it which should be v6 ~( though on the load splash screen, it'll say v5... japlance did take & modify that to properly display v6, you'll find his mod here: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...82&postcount=6 )~

In addition to ensuring you're using the v6, what mods do you have activated, exactly... by chance.?

(Can copy paste that list of activated mods from JSGME, by doing the following steps:

1. Click on Tasks opening up its menu. In that menu scroll down to the last option, thereby opening up it's sub menu (no pun intended, though it is funny.. ) then highlighting & clicking on ''clipboard''

Having done that, can close out JSGME & can paste that in, when you reply back. That will give Me & others who tend to OM-Dark Waters, a chance to see what could be the cause of your quandary. )

Is some other steps/questions that pertain to save folder & high dpi settings, that others can explain & ask on better than I can... & on them, I'll bow to their expertise in that area.

M. M.

Old 08-21-21, 12:25 PM   #10
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
To start with, some basic questions...

1. Source of your SH4 copy & what version is it.?

2. With installing, what is the exact location you installed it... did you allow it to send it to the default install or did you chose another area for it to install.?

3. Are you running any other copies of SH4, that are modded (or unmodded) by chance.?

3b. If you are, did you go with using MultiSH4

4. Did you use a 4GB patch for the SH4.exe to be assigned the ability to use more than the normal assigned by the computer allotment of 2 GB RAM, to 4 GB RAM.? Barring using a patch, did you instead opt for using Large Address Aware to assign it 4 GB's of RAM.?

With regards to having it modded to Operation Monsun Dark Waters.. you are using the last, latest version of it which should be v6 ~( though on the load splash screen, it'll say v5... japlance did take & modify that to properly display v6, you'll find his mod here: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...82&postcount=6 )~

In addition to ensuring you're using the v6, what mods do you have activated, exactly... by chance.?

(Can copy paste that list of activated mods from JSGME, by doing the following steps:

1. Click on Tasks opening up its menu. In that menu scroll down to the last option, thereby opening up it's sub menu (no pun intended, though it is funny.. ) then highlighting & clicking on ''clipboard''

Having done that, can close out JSGME & can paste that in, when you reply back. That will give Me & others who tend to OM-Dark Waters, a chance to see what could be the cause of your quandary. )

Is some other steps/questions that pertain to save folder & high dpi settings, that others can explain & ask on better than I can... & on them, I'll bow to their expertise in that area.

M. M.

Thanks for Attention.

1) V1.5
2) C:\Silent Hunter IV
3) No second SH4's
3b) No MultiSH4
4) LAA Yes

I am using V6, see my signature.The only mod I'm using is the V6_splashscreen MOD.

So, for me, everything is plain and as it should be.

Edit: I also don't get any notice from the crew that there is a ship or ships in sight. So I only see that on the attack map.

Last edited by easy; 08-21-21 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 01:27 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Thanks for Attention.

1) V1.5
2) C:\Silent Hunter IV
3) No second SH4's
3b) No MultiSH4
4) LAA Yes

I am using V6, see my signature.The only mod I'm using is the V6_splashscreen MOD.

So, for me, everything is plain and as it should be.

Edit: I also don't get any notice from the crew that there is a ship or ships in sight. So I only see that on the attack map.
Know that Dark Waters, does include some... optional mods, that show once you activate the main one in JSGME...

So, you're not using any of the other modes than the main 1 & then japlance's load splash screen fix then...

curiouser & curiouser...

am at a loss here, why that'd be happening then... per chance 1 of the others more knowledgeable, about the inner workings of Dark, or another can perhaps answer that quandary...

If no answer is forthcoming after a few days. perhaps you might make a notation in the main thread for Dark Waters, point them here.. or better yet, leave this post here for other items that baffle you that are not directly related to the mod itself.. & ask about the missing ships in view, despite seeing them on the Nav map... make known that your running with just the main mod itself & japlance's load splash screen fix... & give the main details that I asked you about.

Now, I'm completely baffled as to why you're running into that issue... and I have the same set up with v6... though, I admit.. am running with a lot more, additional optional & not so... optional mods added into My mix.. & not having that issue...

Will shoot ya, a DM of the mod mix that I'm rolling with.

M. M.