Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-21, 07:31 AM   #1
newbe80
Nub

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Another new member

Hi all,
Just purchased Silent Hunter 4 Gold (along with 3 and 5 in the Steam pack) last week and SH4 has become my favorite sub game of all, along with quickly becoming one of my top games period.

I had played very few dedicated sub games prior to SH4 but I still have fond memories of SSN from roughly 20 years ago.

Gameplay came to a head yesterday as I managed to ambush a Japanese Task Force just east of Celebes where the Banda and Molucca seas meet. It was February or March of '42 and I'd just been offered the command of USS Drum as a brand-new Gato boat. I'd known from radio reports that a task force was coming through and detected numerous warships at long range via sound but they were moving directly to my position. Dove to 200 feet and made like a hole in the ocean until the maneuvering contacts passed by, assuming those would be the destroyer screen. Returned to periscope depth to find I was in the middle of the main body with the bow pointed at the center line of ships. On top of everything, it was a dark and stormy night...meaning they'd never know I was there unless I scored hits. After some hasty shot setups, I launched all 6 bow torpedoes with two going after a Shokaku carrier (about 1400 yards), two more at a Furutaka heavy cruiser and the last two at a Chitose seaplane tender. Plus one stern shot at a Small Engine Aft tanker as that was the only viable stern target plus I was anticipating an opportunity to spin and continue launching fish at anything flying a Rising Sun. I don't remember what else was in the task force as there were too many targets within knife range and needed killing to look at what was getting away scot-free.

The first torpedoes launched were tubes 3 and 4 at the Furutaka. At about 3000 yards, neither Mk 14 connected. No idea if the aim was bad or if they simply ran deep as I had all set to contact fusing only. Then tubes 5 and 6 targeted the bow of Shokaku as she was off the starboard bow heading away, both of those struck her port side ahead of the island and she quickly sank from just the two hits. Tubes 1 and 2 were launched at the Chitose at about 900 yards but only one of those torpedoes scored a hit and she all but disappeared in a massive fireball. Tube 7 was fired at the small tanker and scored a hit but not a sinking. At that, the closest destroyers began to charge in like a swarm of hornets and my only option became to dive deep and break contact for good.

10 minutes, 7 torpedoes, 4 hits but only two kills although one was a member of the Kido Butai being sent to the bottom months prior to when it otherwise would have taken part in Coral Sea. Ah, what could've been...

So yeah, you could say I'm addicted.

I'm very interested in the Fall of The Rising Sun mod but the download link doesn't appear to work. Is something wrong with it?
newbe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 08:24 AM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 10:47 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 05:29 PM   #4
newbe80
Nub

Downloads: 8

Oh, if anybody still plays the stock SH4 without the Gold Edition installed yet...try hitting one of those landed H6Ks in a harbor with a torpedo. I'm pretty sure the damage model for lifting a small-ish ship is broken when it comes to a plane that's infinitely lighter than any ship worth a torpedo.

The plane gets a final flight...and by flight, I mean a high-angle ballistic arc.
newbe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 10:55 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

newbe80! nice first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 12:37 AM   #6
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Welcome to Subsim newbe80

Simon
Old 07-15-21, 07:46 PM   #7
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Welcome aboard!

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 01:32 AM   #8
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Welcome!
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote