SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-17, 11:05 AM   #1
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default Losing the Wire

Since 1.09 came along I had a sense of how to fire a torpedo; go slow, have an even keel, and don't wrap the wire around the periscope as it is running.

Sure, I push the boundaries when the situation calls for it and I learned where the limits were. Over the last few days/week I noticed that I lose the wire rather often, even when I am well within the variances that I learned. Generally as it is just coming out of the tube.

I wanted to reach out to the other Skippers and see if it is noticed by them. If it is, Big Navy needs to know.

I am running a LA V1 boat.

Any ideas, noticing of change?

Thanks,
Del
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 01:00 PM   #2
supraoptimo
Watch

Downloads: 3

I've noticed this too lately, and it's rather strange because wire breakages seem to clump for some reason. I'll get three dozen good launches, then have three or four wires break in a row, even at a complete standstill firing straight ahead.
supraoptimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 03:53 PM   #3
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

I've noticed that too, I'll shoot one over the shoulder or something that I'm sure is going to break the wire and it holds, but then I shoot an easy one straight ahead and the wire breaks
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 10:25 PM   #4
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

I agree. I'm busy tomorrow, but I'll look into this. Killerfish will fix it but maybe I can help reduce the broken wires. The issue is when they break 8 times out of ten they will home on a friendly. There is no penalty for that yet, but it will come for sure.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 12:20 AM   #5
supraoptimo
Watch

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post
I agree. I'm busy tomorrow, but I'll look into this. Killerfish will fix it but maybe I can help reduce the broken wires. The issue is when they break 8 times out of ten they will home on a friendly. There is no penalty for that yet, but it will come for sure.
Oh, there's a penalty now, at least in campaign. Torpedo enough neutral shipping and you win a free trip to Club Fed. I'm not sure what the actual threshold is though.
supraoptimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:33 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > supraoptimo
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 09:17 AM   #7
Naftis
Watch

Downloads: 20

The same issue here, although I noticed that the wire breaks, as a general norm, when the torpedo sonar is set to passive. I fired a dozen with active sonar and the wire stayed intact!
Old 12-27-17, 06:23 PM   #8
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Maybe we have to be first inducted into the Order of the Blue Nose? Are those Arctic Waters?
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:49 PM   #9
Naftis
Watch

Downloads: 20

I don't think that it would do any good to the wire, but hey... Let's just be on the safe side, shan't we...?
Old 12-27-17, 10:49 PM   #10
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Well currently the files say you're risking a break at 15 kts or above with a 10% chance of break on launch. I'm not sure how it calculates probabilities beyond that.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 08:28 AM   #11
RobRem
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

i too am finding breakages 95% of the time firing within parameters.

makes it hard to play
Old 07-04-21, 05:43 AM   #12
Morrissey
Swabbie

Downloads: 29

I returned to CWs yesterday after a wee break and downloaded the newest version of epic mod and found I had the same problem.

Thought initially it was an AI thing, but did a test firing at 50 feet, 5 knots and straight and level and every wire broke.

Very strange indeed?

Any advice Shipmates?
Old 07-24-21, 07:32 AM   #13
itsjero
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

Ive had wire breaks so often that it made me sorta hate that part of the game. I know it has to have some realism to that, but im pretty sure that in the newest of new subs, and specifically the newest torpedos such as the mk48 adcap and its latest rev, wire breaks most likely wouldnt happen as frequently in real life as they do in the game. Sometimes, ill launch a torpedo from like 150-200 feet, on super quiet, at 5knots and sailing straight.. basically a hole in the water.

And the damn wire will break on launch, or for some other seemingly rediculous reason.

Youd think the latest and greatest torpedo from the U.S, or even the U.K and russia, that would be something that rarely if ever happened.

Also considering that a brand spanking new mk 48 adcap ( or any other nations top torpedo ) that runs a cool 3.8 million bucks EACH, the wires would just not break unless you cut it off because you had to, or you go full rudder left or right at like 30kts.

So, my resolve for this situation is simply editing the .txt file in the games directory ( id go into depth on how to edit a .txt file but there is plenty of how tos out there, along with posts ( ive made a few on the cold waters sub on reddit ) so i wont go into that. ).

But, i just simply found the .txt file for the weapons, and then found the adcap in that text file and changed the wirebreak possibility value. Also, i went to the subs .txt files that i use a lot in the game, and changed the wire break value on those files as well, including the "possibility of wire break on launch" value that you will find if you look.

Ive toned them way down, and the only wires that break on me if ever are from shkval rocket torpedos ( just due to their nature and crazy high speed ). Funny thing about the shkval torpedos is that even if the wire breaks, that torpedo will make its run and if it gets to where you shot it in the area and the boat ( or any boat really ) in that area still is on that bearing or close.. it will track that sucker and punch a hole in it.

It can also come back at you.. so im usually careful when messing around with shkval torps as ive had a wire break, the ship i shot it at was sunk before it got there from a previous launch or launch of a missile that simply beat it to the punch. And i had that mofo chase me around the map relentlessly until it ran out of juice and blows up.

But yeah.. my suggestion to you and those who hate the wire break %, on launch and during its run, is to edit the values for wire break, and wire break on launch.

You can even go so far as to make the wires almost unbreakable. I tested this by making a boat capable of 900knts, surfaced or submerged, and i could launch all of my tubes.. from 4 to 8 or more depending on boat, take a 90 or 180 degree turn after shooting and then speeding to a new part on the map at speeds from 60kts - 900kts, and the wires dont break.

Hell i have shot 8 torpedos, hooked a left and sped at 900kts to an area on the map 100's of kilometers away from my launch position and depth, and when i got to that point, turn back towards the enemies i was engaging and gone quick quiet or all stop or whatever.. and i still could not only activate my torpedos, but steer them to their targets as well with the wires that were still attached to my sub.

Just edit your .txt files. Once you start doing that, youll figure out that being able to edit your .txt files is absolutely awesome, and you can dial this game in to the way you want it to play. From how fast your sub can go, how deep, how quiet it is ( even undetectable ), how much ammo it holds ( 500 of every torpedo, missile, and ICBM if you want ), have it make zero cavitation regardless of depth or speed ( even 30,000 feet and 900kts or surfaces and 900kts ) and so on.

Teaching myself to edit the .txt files with no help from anyone was a fun and sometimes confusing deal, but after you edit them awhile and figure out what values the game will accept and what values that breaks it, you will get a feel for what you can do and it is amazing how easy it is to edit the .txt files for everything in the game, and how far you can dial this game in to make it play how you want to. Harder, easier, a little of both, hell i have 2 different installs - 1 for "arcade" mode where everything is a bit faster if i only want to play for like 30mins or an 1hr. And then i have a sim mode where ive edited a ton of values so that weapons are as damaging, but they are far faster, and so on.

I could type about this for a long time.. as you see.. but really i just try to comment on how great this game is and how easy it is to mod .txt files and make the game your own.

I also even changed the in game music so it plays hunt for red october hymn on startup, and then has other hunt for red october music during combat, and more music from other sub movies i converted to .ogg ( music format the game uses ). Its pretty cool having that epic hunt for red october music playing while you play the game. Generates a great atmosphere for me at least.

Good luck, and this is an easy fix if you wanna spend the time to do it.
itsjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 01:17 PM   #14
RobRem
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

good one itsjero

q pls.... where do aI find those .txt files and what are they called pls?