SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-21, 09:16 AM   #1
seaplate hitman
Medic

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 0
Default An urgent problem about my screen.

Dear sir,
I find a very funny problem that it doesn't work for setting window mode after I set up the SH4 again.
In short, Graphic setting doesn't work.
How do make it done? Thanks a lot !
seaplate hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 11:33 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am not certain as to what your problem is. From what I am understanding though, you game is not displaying correctly? There are several things to keep in mind with a Silent Hunter install. Number one is that the game, being an old DirectX v9.0c game, is not compliant with the Windows post-Vista interface, and therefore cannot be installed in a "Program Files" folder. Instead, you should create your own folder to install the game into, such as "Games", and then Windows will not interfere with any modding you might do to the game.

Next would be that once you have the game installed, you should right-click on the SH4.exe file in the game install folder, choose "Properties" from the context menu, and on the first "General" page, make certain that the "Read-only" attribute is cleared, such that the tick box for that is empty. After that, click on the "Compatibility" tab and tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for --> Windows 7", "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and then click on the "Change high DPI settings" button. By the way, this is a Windows 10 example. If you have Windows 7, let us know... Anyway, on the resulting window from the High DPI button, you will have to experiment, but you almost always have to use the "Override high DPI behavior" section, and set it to "Application". If you have to use the "Program DPI" at the top of that page, then set it to "When I open this application", so that it does not mess with the rest of your Windows settings. On the first page, you might have to use the "Run this program as an administrator. Several of these settings depend upon your Windows set-up and how your UAC (User Access Control) is set. There are a few differences between Window 10 and 7 in this regard, but mostly in the High DPI settings stuff...

this is from one of my computers. All three machines that I have, have different settings on them. One is an SLI vid set-up, another is an nVidia GTX 560Ti, and another is onboard Intel graphics...

Inside the game itself, under the Options menu is the Graphic Settings menu, and you choose your video display in there. You should have your display monitor set to its native resolution, which Windows will list as "recommended", and have the video card and windows set to that also. The game should have a listing for most sizes available, but you might have to scroll through the list to find one. If you cannot find an exact listing, choose one that is close, or if you are trying to do 4k, you might have to choose an even divisible of the resolution, such as 1920x1080 or some such. It all depends upon your computer. If I am not understanding your question correctly, please post back with another description, or maybe more information about your issue...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 04:46 PM   #3
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I am experiencing a graphical issue with vanilla SH4 in which the surface of the ocean water has a strange jiggling/flickering effect whenever I move the camera/periscope in any direction and seems to be related to the rate of camera movement. I tried adjusting every in-game graphics option and have tried multiple different resolutions and refresh rates, but cannot figure out what causes it. Have you experienced this issue? If so, do you know how to fix it?

Windows 10 (64 bit)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080ti
Intel i9 10900x
64GB RAM

MSI 1440p monitor @144hz.

Last edited by ApeGorrillo; 09-30-21 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-30-21, 05:09 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeGorrillo View Post
I am experiencing a graphical issue with vanilla SH4 in which the ocean water has a strange jiggling/flickering effect whenever I move the camera/periscope in any direction. I tried adjusting every in-game graphics option and have tried multiple different resolutions and refresh rates, but cannot figure it out what causes it. Have you experienced this issue? If so, do you know how to fix it?

Windows 10 (64 bit)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080ti
Intel i9 10900x
64GB RAM

MSI 1440p monitor @144hz.
Aka "Jelly Water", it sounds like... a pre condition from running in high TC...

Good news is... can do 1 of 2 things...

1. Wait it out & the water will revert ack to the more... as normal as it can look... given the nature of plain, jane.. stock, vanilla SH4.

2. Save, wait abouut 5 miinutes...(both before saving, to gve the PC time to allow the high TC to clear the baffles, so to speak...) then do your save... then give another 5 minutes before exiting.

Side note.... make sure when you do your save, that certain... prerequisite things are achieved 1st... & most importantly... FOREMOST... before saving.

That you have your sub, surfaced... 2ndly, around at, base minimum, 50 nautical miles, away from land, any ships you may have sunk, NOT having any ships or planes in the aforementioned MINIMUM distance... & last, BUT... most definitely, NOT least even though mentioned lastly... either in the control room view or looking at the Nav map (either will do. )

Can't stress that, enough... strongly....

This is to assist in avoiding any possile save corruption, though NOT 100% fool proof... it does help.

Hope this helps with your... quandary, about the water...

M. M.

Old 09-30-21, 06:43 PM   #5
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Aka "Jelly Water", it sounds like... a pre condition from running in high TC...

Good news is... can do 1 of 2 things...

1. Wait it out & the water will revert ack to the more... as normal as it can look... given the nature of plain, jane.. stock, vanilla SH4.

2. Save, wait abouut 5 miinutes...(both before saving, to gve the PC time to allow the high TC to clear the baffles, so to speak...) then do your save... then give another 5 minutes before exiting.

Side note.... make sure when you do your save, that certain... prerequisite things are achieved 1st... & most importantly... FOREMOST... before saving.

That you have your sub, surfaced... 2ndly, around at, base minimum, 50 nautical miles, away from land, any ships you may have sunk, NOT having any ships or planes in the aforementioned MINIMUM distance... & last, BUT... most definitely, NOT least even though mentioned lastly... either in the control room view or looking at the Nav map (either will do. )

Can't stress that, enough... strongly....

This is to assist in avoiding any possile save corruption, though NOT 100% fool proof... it does help.

Hope this helps with your... quandary, about the water...

M. M.

I tried waiting it out as well as saving in the manner you described, and there seemed to be little to no change with the jelly water. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with time compression. I have this effect as soon as I start playing, without having used any TC at all. Sometimes it is worse than others, but is always present. I have both steam versions of the game (with and without U-Boat addon), both have the same issue. Any other ideas? Appreciate your help.
Old 09-30-21, 06:52 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

ApeGorrillo! after a ten year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 07:34 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeGorrillo View Post
I tried waiting it out as well as saving in the manner you described, and there seemed to be little to no change with the jelly water. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with time compression. I have this effect as soon as I start playing, without having used any TC at all. Sometimes it is worse than others, but is always present. I have both steam versions of the game (with and without U-Boat addon), both have the same issue. Any other ideas? Appreciate your help.
Hmm.... Is about the only thing I know of, save for 1 other thing, but... no guarantee's that it will work or not. What I outlined was what I'm recalling seeing being said as likely culprit for "Jelly Water" syndrome....

That 1 other thing, was recalling seeing mention of a mod that was "supposed to resolve" that happening...

Again, as i say, only saw a glimpse about that mod & to be frank... can't recall the name of the mod exactly or the creator of said mod.

Start with #7 post here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho....php?p=2761621

Can also check here... :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=157934

Hope this helps... cause outside of that, am drawing a blank here (had a ton of notes covering a wide variety of things related to SH: 3, 4 & 5... an lost all of it when My ext. HD kicked the bucket on Me... no warning of impending doom... : timeout:

Hopefully someone else might be able to assist on that, as well... Best of luck.

M. M.

M. M.

Old 09-15-21, 02:03 AM   #8
seaplate hitman
Medic

Appreciate your kind help.I will try it .
Old 10-25-21, 05:46 AM   #9
seaplate hitman
Medic

Dear sir
I tried several times but I found that maybe the game Vision is not as the same as yours

I can not find the operation of disable the full screen
Old 10-25-21, 10:49 AM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaplate hitman View Post
Dear sir
I tried several times but I found that maybe the game Vision is not as the same as yours

How about we start off with the following info...

1. Your computer specs... always a good place to start with... yes...

Computer maker, Win Opsys version, processor, RAM specs... no need for the wifi/net specs.. since is not much out there now left, to attempt to do multi player with SH...

2. Version of SH4 you have & source of it...

3. Where, exactly... that you have SH4 installed...

The 1 area you do NOT want to have SH4 (or any game that you intend to mod, for that FACT... is in either of Window's "Program" folders... EVER.

Win's UAC... does NOT like any tampering of folders/files, under it's iron claw grip to be well... tampered with... & attempting to mod SH4... is to it... tampering.

side note, are you trying to mod SH4 or run it plain jane stock... would also be helpful info to know.

If attempting to mod this copy (or multi copies... is a good idea to have the following:

JSGME: This allows you to be able to add in or dump mods, while leaving the base SH4 part, unchanged.

Adding in mod folders/files & injecting them directly into the base SH4 install folder itself... will lead to having to dump/delete the entire install.

before activating any mods, the process that propbeanie, is needed to be done, on at least.. the 1st 2 steps, at base minimum... some need to do the rest, some don't. It'd independent on the computer... & NOT sure if there is a guide that says ok, this computer needs to go through all those steps & these, only the 1st 2... *shrug* Maybe someone with more knowledge, on that process, can chime in here... & confirm, clarify or put that puppy to bed...

Next, MultiSH4... a must have (if you intend to or are running more than 1 instance of SH4) as this nifty tool... (which is what this is, as is JSGME & the next item up.. ) that allows you to setup separate game save folders for SH4, most assuredly necessary if you are going to run more than 1 copy of SH4.

Ok, last.. but certainly NOT least...

doing either of the following 2 steps...

patching the SH4.exe with a 4GB RAM patch... following precisely the directions for doing so...

or...

Large Address Aware tagging the SH4.exe, which.. by My opinion.. is simple to do. So simple, a cave man could easily do it... :

Simple 3 steps... point LAA (as some refer to this program by...) to where your game/sim's .exe is located... step 1. Check mark the box, in step 2., to lock it in... then finally click accept/save &... Done.

This tool, can be downloaded & installed in any folder.. but I recommend dropping it into your fresh created Games folder, for ease of locating it.. since this tool works for games/sims... which just makes sense to drop it there.

Hopefully, I didn't lose you there in all of this.. info & that it's found helpful...

M. M.
Old 11-03-21, 12:34 AM   #11
seaplate hitman
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
How about we start off with the following info...

1. Your computer specs... always a good place to start with... yes...

Computer maker, Win Opsys version, processor, RAM specs... no need for the wifi/net specs.. since is not much out there now left, to attempt to do multi player with SH...

2. Version of SH4 you have & source of it...

3. Where, exactly... that you have SH4 installed...

The 1 area you do NOT want to have SH4 (or any game that you intend to mod, for that FACT... is in either of Window's "Program" folders... EVER.

Win's UAC... does NOT like any tampering of folders/files, under it's iron claw grip to be well... tampered with... & attempting to mod SH4... is to it... tampering.

side note, are you trying to mod SH4 or run it plain jane stock... would also be helpful info to know.

If attempting to mod this copy (or multi copies... is a good idea to have the following:

JSGME: This allows you to be able to add in or dump mods, while leaving the base SH4 part, unchanged.

Adding in mod folders/files & injecting them directly into the base SH4 install folder itself... will lead to having to dump/delete the entire install.

before activating any mods, the process that propbeanie, is needed to be done, on at least.. the 1st 2 steps, at base minimum... some need to do the rest, some don't. It'd independent on the computer... & NOT sure if there is a guide that says ok, this computer needs to go through all those steps & these, only the 1st 2... *shrug* Maybe someone with more knowledge, on that process, can chime in here... & confirm, clarify or put that puppy to bed...

Next, MultiSH4... a must have (if you intend to or are running more than 1 instance of SH4) as this nifty tool... (which is what this is, as is JSGME & the next item up.. ) that allows you to setup separate game save folders for SH4, most assuredly necessary if you are going to run more than 1 copy of SH4.

Ok, last.. but certainly NOT least...

doing either of the following 2 steps...

patching the SH4.exe with a 4GB RAM patch... following precisely the directions for doing so...

or...

Large Address Aware tagging the SH4.exe, which.. by My opinion.. is simple to do. So simple, a cave man could easily do it... :

Simple 3 steps... point LAA (as some refer to this program by...) to where your game/sim's .exe is located... step 1. Check mark the box, in step 2., to lock it in... then finally click accept/save &... Done.

This tool, can be downloaded & installed in any folder.. but I recommend dropping it into your fresh created Games folder, for ease of locating it.. since this tool works for games/sims... which just makes sense to drop it there.

Hopefully, I didn't lose you there in all of this.. info & that it's found helpful...

M. M.
Dear Sir, Thanks a lot ! I have just solved my question. I can run the game with Window mod every time. The way is making a change of the file of main.cfg which passage about the resolution. Thanks a lot for your kind help!
Old 10-26-21, 07:22 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaplate hitman View Post
Dear sir

That is a Windows 10 screen grab on a computer with an nVidia GTX560Ti in it, with a 1920x1080 60Hz LCD display monitor (I think... ), so any one of a number of pieces of gear different and / or OS set-up, and you might have something completely different. If I am not mistaken, that is not in the Windows 7 dialog either, so it could be that. Windows 10 really wants to do everything for you, including spoon-feeding you information on the world around you, and it definitely does NOT like anything older than 3 years old, especially DirectX v9.0c games... much much too old... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote