SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DARPA Game – “ACTUV Tactics”
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-11, 03:36 PM   #1
noise_bomb
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Leaderboard (and reporting?) errors

It looks like either the leaderboard is showing the wrong platforms, or the sim is reporting the wrong ones to DARPA. I've completed exactly 2 campaigns, the Gator and the Remora. And my scores show up under Shark and Seahorse, respectively.

Is there anyone who can check up on this? I'm hoping it's just the leaderboard display that's wrong. It would be pretty unfortunate if DARPA is getting bad data.

Last edited by noise_bomb; 04-08-11 at 03:37 PM. Reason: rephrase
noise_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 03:46 PM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

probably should check the other leaderboard threads for similar discussions.....

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 04:07 PM   #3
noise_bomb
Nub

Downloads: 2

I did, but it sounded like a bit of confusion rather than a bug report. All I'm saying here is that I think I can confirm a bug in at least one of those two pieces mentioned.

If you want, I could post into the other thread, but it's not really a "suggestion", so I didn't think it belonged there.
noise_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 04:14 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I dunno, maybe this deserves it's own thread.

It would appear my Shark score is shown as Triton, and my Gator score obviously is incorrect too--quite possibly because my Gator score posted to Remora and vice versa. Or maybe the reason I have no displayed Shark score is because that's where my Gator score went, and it is low enough to be off the board there. That it's happening to at least one other user means there is an identifiable error in the leaderboard.
Old 04-08-11, 04:39 PM   #5
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
I dunno, maybe this deserves it's own thread.
After posting, I figured that was probably true.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think two of our scores got switched.

And yes, this afternoon I've been having issues reporting to DARPA.

Old 04-08-11, 06:03 PM   #6
CAPT ASW
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

I'm sure the right folks are reading these threads and will look into the problem.
CAPT ASW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 08:41 AM   #7
Frying Tiger
Sonalysts Man

They are. Thanks for the heads up.

"the atom-powered submarine: Her engines were to be a miracle of speed and power, her sides strong enough to withstand any blow... The mind of man had thought of everything - except that which was beyond his comprehension!"
Frying Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 09:52 AM   #8
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

When uploading a result, does it upload all previous failed uploads or just that score? A lot of my scores have appeared on the board yet, and I had a day or so of failures followed by some successful uploads.

Old 04-11-11, 12:40 PM   #9
Hutch
Swabbie

The leaderboard has been corrected- sure enough, we had the platform labels mixed up (on the leaderboard only, the data submissions are all correct).

The game saves your latest result per campaign and mission, and will try to transmit results from a failed transmission the next time you hit accept. If in the meantime you have replayed the same mission for the same ACTUV, however, your previous result will be lost.
Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 03:04 PM   #10
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
The leaderboard has been corrected- sure enough, we had the platform labels mixed up (on the leaderboard only, the data submissions are all correct).
I'm sorry, but I believe you are wrong. The maximum possible Gator score is 74500 (9000+20000+20000+25500)... this is assuming HF contact for the full mission durations with no pinging and no fuel consumption. Every score listed (with the headings changed) is greater than this amount. It would appear that after you "corrected" the space in my name my Gator score *might* have migrated to this heading, but these are not Gator scores.
Old 04-11-11, 03:21 PM   #11
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

You can surpass the first mission max if you do not break contact when ordered. there is no penalty, and the next event in the mission is not triggered until you have lost contact for 5 minutes, so you the max is actually infinite.

Old 04-11-11, 03:59 PM   #12
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

When screenshots were posted from the mission editor, I thought some of the triggers shown indicated that SCS was aware of this loophole and closed it.

In any case, it wouldn't be hard... open the scoring triggers, check the doctrine language button, select NOT trigger fired [15/30/60 minute goal]. The scoring trigger would then cease to re-fire once the corresponding goal trigger is fired.
Old 04-11-11, 04:50 PM   #13
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
When screenshots were posted from the mission editor, I thought some of the triggers shown indicated that SCS was aware of this loophole and closed it.

In any case, it wouldn't be hard... open the scoring triggers, check the doctrine language button, select NOT trigger fired [15/30/60 minute goal]. The scoring trigger would then cease to re-fire once the corresponding goal trigger is fired.
I'm not aware of that, I just know that I tagged an extra 5k or so in that mission before i followed orders. That would be about an hours worth of game time in the gator, so maybe it's a 60 min trigger that I just barely missed.

Old 04-13-11, 11:28 AM   #14
StevenLohr
Watch

Downloads: 215
Default Scoring penalizes for accomplishing critical goals

I'm on my second campaign, and played the first scenario "Cat and Mouse" twice. The first time I didn't break off contact, and tailed the sub to the OPAREA boundaries over a 2 hour period and obtained 24000 points. The second time I followed orders, broke contact (thereby accomplishing a critical goal) promptly regained contact when directed and netted only 9000 points because the scenario ended, as I had accomplished my goals.
While I'm not complaining (after all, this is just a game), my concern is that DARPA not look at only the high scores when doing their number crunching, as high scores may reflect increased play (and consequent contact time) at the expense of not accomplishing the mission.
StevenLohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 04:20 PM   #15
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Yesterday I ran a new Triton campaign and wrote down my scores just to see if the board really is working right (and to verify that the problems we see now are problems with the mission, not the board)

Results:
1. 10446
2. 29014
3. 21758
4. 26700
Total: 87918

Today the board updated and changed my Triton score to 80129.

Sorry, but it's obviously not working correctly. Or are results averaged if multiple campaigns are completed?