SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-21, 07:35 PM   #2386
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I remember they turned wrong and did other weird stuff.
I even linked several nodes upside down and such to try to get the extra Guns to behave even close to properly.

Not trying to crush your hopes but save you frustrations!

Do a quick test.
Place a Gun node on a Main Turret then assign any gun to it in the eqp file for said ship.
See for yourself.
Old 08-12-21, 07:44 PM   #2387
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
This is awesome work guys! Cannot wait! Definitely worth a "contribution$" when finished!
No need for that; but thanks! This will be entirely freeware - although I may offer it as having a donation to subsim required for download. Nothing crazy - maybe $5.00 US or its equivalent minimum. If Neal is interested.

Re: TDC: Not 100% decided yet but I may leave in a WW2 TDC or some elements of it just to make it easier & more convenient. Certain items will definitely be stripped out - of course, no FAT/legs setting, no Cuties or any other type of acoustic torpedo or acoustic torpedo interface.

On a related note, one thing I am proud of is all ships are being measured with a "ruler" so accurate length and mast height readings will be present. No more torpedo launch errors due to ship models being too long or tall.

@Roebuck: Due to time constraints there will only be American destroyers and patrol craft - current plans are for Tucker Class & Wickes Class DD's. I would like to have a single mission featuring the Tucker Class USS Jacob Jones fighting against U-53.... the incident was noteworthy for the heroism of Lt. Stanton Kalk, seen in the photo & painting below -. Kalk gave his life to save many of her crew, and was awarded a posthumous Distinguished Service Medal:

@Bubblehead1980:

I found some nice images of the Luckenbach line's ships; they saw pretty heavy use in WWI and WWII, carrying troops & cargo:

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 07:47 PM   #2388
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

You need the Proteus-class colliers?
Old 08-12-21, 08:01 PM   #2389
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

A few more quick screenies:

Stern of a German Battlecruiser in Wings3d, textured:

Got a question on Facebook about civilian shipping; need many more ships but here is the British Collier Birnamwood (engines amidships):

Collier Bitterwood (engines aft style)

Note the pics are from an old enviro. mod that will not be used.

I solved the bug with realistic clouds mod for SH4 (clouds used to only stay in one place and you saw no clouds after leaving port) - now clouds appear throughout mission:

Wings3d render of armament on German cruiser Furst Bismarck. AKA the "Bismarck" no one has ever heard of, and that the British never sunk.

Funnel collapses on "Lusitania", May 7 1915:

Queen Elizabeth ... need to update the 15" gun models

Another view of Queen Mary in Wings3d; waiting for rigging:

Sort of a "Stress Test" with multiple dreadnoughts to see what framerates were like; I was very satisfied ... and note the ships aren't even optimized yet - with minimum render dimension feature in S3ditor I can "turn off" parts/human figures that you would never notice at a distance. Thus, even better framerates.

Old 08-12-21, 08:18 PM   #2390
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am wondering, Jeff and iambecomelife, if a "hanging" node could hold a gun? We have copied different parts from various ships / subs / planes, assigned new node IDs, then pasted them into another item, and you usually have to adjust the xyz of most everything, but that does not prevent something from displaying, maybe several "feet" higher than where they should be, or maybe a crewman walking inside the deck... So, if you have the node for an M01 main gun turret at 0.0, 1.0, 0.5, associated with the ship (main deck) and place an S01 secondary gun at 0.0, 2.5, 0.5, also associated with the main deck, such that it is centered on the M01, but higher in elevation? Assign that "higher" node to the sim file's S01 controller?? You would probably have to do some tedious adjusting and testing to get the proper height... or use the "math" and at least get somewhat close on the first try? - ie: if you forget to assign an M01 properly in the eqp file, or misname the link to the guns.dat, then you might have a secondary battery hanging in the breeze... or is the game too "smart" for our own good, like it is in so many other aspects, and would just generate a "fail" of one form or another?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 08:57 PM   #2391
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Nice thought but if a gun is placed like you suggest?
It will not turn with the M01 Turret in a correct way.

I think I wasted about a week trying things that proved 1 point.
"I have found 10,000 ways that don't work."
Old 08-12-21, 09:05 PM   #2392
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You need the Proteus-class colliers?
I would be happy to have them; thanks!

But more than that, I have a big burning question for you ...do you know how to trigger engine parts to move only when you are surfaced with the diesel on? I know how to animate the parts but I have no idea how to trigger motion only when checking for a condition (surfaced & diesels on). Basically my options are to have the engines always running or always stopped, which is weird.

I already took a look at flakmonkey's work and I am still stumped.

Someone said I can somehow link the engine motion to the depth gauge, so if the sub's underwater motion stopped....but they weren't sure exactly how.

I have a large number of engine/interior photo's and I am anxious to do different rooms!
Old 08-12-21, 11:31 PM   #2393
Roebuck
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
No need for that; but thanks! This will be entirely freeware - although I may offer it as having a donation to subsim required for download. Nothing crazy - maybe $5.00 US or its equivalent minimum. If Neal is interested.

Re: TDC: Not 100% decided yet but I may leave in a WW2 TDC or some elements of it just to make it easier & more convenient. Certain items will definitely be stripped out - of course, no FAT/legs setting, no Cuties or any other type of acoustic torpedo or acoustic torpedo interface.

On a related note, one thing I am proud of is all ships are being measured with a "ruler" so accurate length and mast height readings will be present. No more torpedo launch errors due to ship models being too long or tall.

@Roebuck: Due to time constraints there will only be American destroyers and patrol craft - current plans are for Tucker Class & Wickes Class DD's. I would like to have a single mission featuring the Tucker Class USS Jacob Jones fighting against U-53.... the incident was noteworthy for the heroism of Lt. Stanton Kalk, seen in the photo & painting below -. Kalk gave his life to save many of her crew, and was awarded a posthumous Distinguished Service Medal:

@Bubblehead1980:

I found some nice images of the Luckenbach line's ships; they saw pretty heavy use in WWI and WWII, carrying troops & cargo:

Thanks for the response! I assume more American warships may be added as more updates to the mod come along after the initial release? Again, the work you've done so far is amazing and I'm very excited to see the release.
Roebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 11:58 AM   #2394
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Yes; I plan to have ships from important other navies in an upgrade:

-France
-USA
-Russia

Then, possibly, Austria & Italy.

Will be posting more images of player units and starting work on the huge U-139 class cruiser submarine, so look out for more updates very soon!

Old 08-13-21, 12:10 PM   #2395
Roebuck
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

Russia? Those old battleships and such are gonna be quite the interesting hunt!
Roebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 12:56 PM   #2396
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Yes; I plan to have ships from important other navies in an upgrade:

-France
-USA
-Russia

Then, possibly, Austria & Italy.
Sorry for interrupting, but in case: IABL, let me know if you need any other blueprints ( especially the details) , in addiction of what I just sent to you, for these navies; or for the German Submarines.
BTW, as always, your work is gorgeous.

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 01:47 PM   #2397
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
do you know how to trigger engine parts to move only when you are surfaced with the diesel on?
I just happen to have the files from 2.1D

I'll look at them and see if what I remember is actually how it's done.
Old 08-13-21, 05:00 PM   #2398
Ypsan
Swabbie

Downloads: 60

Ahoy!

I just picked up a 3 part encyclopedia of submarine warfare in ww1 at my local book store. Hopefully, I can help with providing some missing info.

Written by Vojislav Maksimovic and Zvonimir Freivogel, and split by theaters:
1. Adriatic sea
2. Dardanelles-Aegean Sea-Marmara sea- Black sea
3. Mediterranean sea

At a quick glance books not only describe events and battles during the war but also provide specifics on uboats, torpedos, crew and what not for each nation.

How can I assist?

Also, is the list of required info on the first page still relevant?
Ypsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 06:33 PM   #2399
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I just happen to have the files from 2.1D

I'll look at them and see if what I remember is actually how it's done.
Thanks soo much! If you can figure this out you will be my hero forever! If you ever come out to the Pacific Northwest your bar tab is on me !!! Totally! I have tried to understand what flakmonkey did but it's slow going & I have a lot to learn. I'm envisioning nothing too fancy - maybe 2 or three speeds for the diesel rocking arms when the engine is turned on.

Ypsan & Oliver - thank you! I would say my main needs would be images of submarines still, especially conning towers - I have a good collection but the more the merrier. It can be hard to find good images because wartime photography was often restricted, but whatever anyone can dig up helps.

I'd also like to know about torpedo dud rates, crew complement, and land targets close to sea in the Mediterranean/Dardanelles theater.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-21, 06:51 PM   #2400
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks again Jeff for offering to help!!

A few nice pictures of WWI era engines I am using for inspiration:

1) Early small, compact MAN engine dating from before WWI; it would not have been used on larger U-Boats:

2) Larger 850 HP MAN Engine

3) Rival company Germaniawerft also had a large 850 HP engine. Initially, this company's equipment suffered many mechanical problems

4) Large U-139 Class's Diesel

5) Unknown WWI U-Boat engine room.