SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-21, 09:04 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Talk about "real world" excerise (lol)

exercise*

TMO 2.5 Started new career as finished the war on last patrol Want to see if can make it with Drum from new construction until the end. Part of my Drum" mod plan to be part of the TMO update.

Departed Mare Island early morning of 16 February 1942 15 NM out of San Francisco Bay. Just as sun was breaking, off to our west lookouts spotted a surfaced submarine. While most likely was a friendly, wary of this contact ordered a turn to starboard to to present stern. Just moments later a large shell slash landed not far ahead of Drum. Ordered a dive to 80 feet (near bottom in this area). Sound began tracking the contact as crew went to General Quarters. Sound check also revealed what sounded like torpedoes nearby. Entirely possible was fired upon as did add AI torpedo firing subs, whether they work is hit or miss at times. Since it was early, suppose this boat had not "submerged " (reached last way point to delete, which spawns a submerged submarine to patrol in the area )for the day.

Back at scope depth fired a snap shot of four torpedoes from 2000 yards, the submarine evaded Fired two more, one of which ran just under the stern and exploded, the second hit amidships and caused a massive explosion, the I Class submarine sunk in less than 20 seconds. (will add photos soon)

Quite the live fire "drill. Note: I added as part of TMO upgrade, a few IJN submarines marauding off west coast in 1942. Surfaced at night, submerged in day. Did not expect to encounter one right out the gate lol.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 07:34 PM   #2
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

well, that adds a new element of surprise.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 07:52 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
well, that adds a new element of surprise.

Absolutely. Just had another on the way home from first patrol in June 1942. Fueled at Midway and next morning, made trim dive. Sound picked up...submerged enemy submarine off to port and sound of torpedoes in water. Submerged japanese submarine had fired torpedoes (finally!) at me. Part of the patrol line of IJN subs meant to detect the US fleet.

I was surprised sound did not hear it approaching since usually report ships even on surface due to chin mounted sound heads, perhaps due to damage suffered on patrol (noticed had stopped working as well after a really tough depth charging, guess was not repaired at midway) and choppy seas. Trim dive saved my boat.
Old 06-23-21, 08:27 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Absolutely. Just had another on the way home from first patrol in June 1942. Fueled at Midway and next morning, made trim dive. Sound picked up...submerged enemy submarine off to port and sound of torpedoes in water. Submerged japanese submarine had fired torpedoes (finally!) at me. Part of the patrol line of IJN subs meant to detect the US fleet.

I was surprised sound did not hear it approaching since usually report ships even on surface due to chin mounted sound heads, perhaps due to damage suffered on patrol (noticed had stopped working as well after a really tough depth charging, guess was not repaired at midway) and choppy seas. Trim dive saved my boat.
so....can you hear incoming torpedoes on the hydrophone or not?
just want to know what i can expect because i have not had that experience. my standing orders are to steer clear of IJN subs.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:35 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes, if YOU have the head pointed in the correct directlon. Your sonarman does not know what a torpedo is, and therefore says NOTHING!!! You don't even get a "three seconds to impact sir!"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:57 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
so....can you hear incoming torpedoes on the hydrophone or not?
just want to know what i can expect because i have not had that experience. my standing orders are to steer clear of IJN subs.

Yes, if player is manually manning the hydrophones (which I always do during trim dive or when first submerge, before I surface etc, because crewman assigned does not always hear what player can(one of those sad bugs in SH 4) .

Well, trying to fight at submerged sub is a waste, best is to go deep and and get away. I even tried to get one with homing torpedo in 1945. Their prop sounds are too light apparently as watched a cutie passed by at very close range.

In testing , I turned into one on surface and pulled along side, depressed my deck gun down, could kind of see him in the clear seas depending on how light hit and fired the gun . Got some hits I believe and he disappeared off sound and visual. Did not get credit for sinking but yea lol.

Although, if the AI sub is close enough, your sonar operator will report them like he does any other warship contact, even if you are surfaced, since have the "chin mounted" sound heads which allow boat to hear when surfaced. Only thing is have found if AI subs do fire, its typically before sound operator hears them. Have more testing to do with it, only two times have had them fire torpedoes. Have not seen them yet, only heard. I assume they have wakes, just have not seen them.

The encounters are still quite rare though but simulates that the threat, is almost always there. Most likely to encounter in early part of war when enemy subs are prowling off west coast, hawaii, midway.. and thee lanes between them . Also just before or after the major battles in 1942 as added them per history, used as scouts of the fleet. Later war mostly making runs representing their cargo missions. The one that shot at me was no doubt part of the japanese patrol line sent to screen for carriers east of midway in advance of the operation.In reality, just missed Yorktown, Hornet and Enterprise by a day I believe it was.

Still not exactly how I want it, a lot of the time the AI subs, esp the submerged will not engage player and ran into some texture issues and bugs caused to native TMO IJN subs. The US submerged sub works pretty well but does not always engage either. The surfaced AI fleetboat which fires torpedoes caused CTD. still trying to work it out.

Its a great element to have in the sim though, combined with mines than can get player on surface and possible friendly fire...oh yea.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 06-23-21 at 11:04 PM.