SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-21, 04:52 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Complaining for a moment...

Hi fellow captains,

Installed Sh4 perfectly, enabled the desired MODs correctly via JSGME and read and saw a lot of advice from learned captains via YOUTUBE....

I'm going to start!

Yes, but where? Where can I find the situation I see in the videos and discussed there? I would so love to reenact those movies to play SH4 in this way as well as I can. It is really incredibly interesting to see how the experienced captains manage to get the enemy down.... Very interesting techniques... For example "Skippers Bag Full of Tricks". But, where do I find that specific situation that the filmmakers present?
To look for such a situation, do I have to go to sub-school and look for that situation there? Or in one of the many other options that SH4's start menu offers me? Uneventful work...

I wonder, why don't the creators of those videos give the situation they are presenting with it? I mean they could provide a link where you can find that specific situation!
Then you can find that situation through the start menu and reenact it as the teacher plays it. Right now I have no idea how to find that specific situation. Just start and then hope you find something at some point?
How did you guys do that, experienced captains?

I'm sure there are hundreds of novice captains here on SUBSIM also watching all those videos and wondering coyly "I want to learn that too, but where do I find that situation?"

You see, the creators of those movies, at the time of making those movies, had the situation IN THEIR computer! What was easier than putting a copy of that file somewhere on SUBSIM? Then, of course, it would have to include what MODs they had installed, or it still wouldn't work...

Understand that there are now a lot of beginner captains here on SUBSIM who would like to get started, who look at those tutorial movies, and think: "I want to learn that but don't know how to start!"

Actually, the filmmakers started one step too far: They should first make the situation clear (see above) and only then show the solution!

But in the meantime, fellow captains, what do you advise me when I want to re-enact the very important "Sub skippers Bag full of tricks"? I am hoping for some well thought out advice. Not something like "just start" because now you understand that doesn't work....

Last edited by easy; 05-28-21 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-28-21, 06:00 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

With the Mission Editor, you can attempt to re-create similar, though there is a learning curve associated with the editor, and it can be extremely uncooperative, as well as cranky as you try to use it. There are a few tutorials on its use, but probably the best reference is from the old 17th Flotilla group, which I'll try to find a link to later... Most of those tutorial videos though, are for illustrative purposes, basically speaking in general terms, to be applied in many situations. What you propose would be a good idea though, for future video makers to consider.

Edit: found them finally:

Dietrich's v17 SH3 Mission Editor User's Guide
Is SH3 specific, but able to be cross-referenced for SH4. Main difference between the ME in the games is the Menu structure for the Mission Parameters. Extremely useful.

SH4 Mission Editor Walkthru
Picture examples used extensively (better for me... ) and is SH4 ME specific. This will get you going, and the v17 above is for in-depth study and reference.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-28-21 at 09:07 AM. Reason: linkies
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 03:20 AM   #3
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@Propbeanie:

Thank you. The first one I had already, because I'm interested for making a situation for myself.
But your second is really great! I didn't know of the existence of that paper!

Again: thank you!