SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-02-07, 01:53 PM   #1
anhinga
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
More info about attached triggers?

Hello Everyone,

[newbie alert!]

having just obtained DW, I immediately started fiddling with the Mission Editor to make some simple scenarios, great fun!
On the whole it works very well for me, but I seem unable to come to grips with Attached Triggers.

For practice, I made a minimalistic "sitting duck" type scenario, just with an Akula and a Civilian car carrier as the target. The Akula has a Kill trigger attached which points to the car carrier. (That should work, even though it's a Civilian platform -- or?)

When running the scenario, the car carrier is sunk in due course, and Mission Status as well as Debrief screen then correctly list it as killed.

But still, the attached trigger doesn't fire -- neither report nor sound come up.
I also tried to add Doctrine Language, but it didn't help.

Strangely enough, if I use a global trigger instead, with "Automatic" activation and Doctrine Language (car carrier damage > 95%), it all works like a charm.
But of course it would not count as "success" nor award points, not being connected to a controllable platform.
So I still would like to figure Attached Triggers out.

I must be missing something very obvious.

Are there perhaps any tutorials / FAQs around which specifically deal with triggers?
On the whole the DW ME manual is very good, but somehow it's not enough (for me) in this case.

I have of course also searched this forum first, but the level of my question is probably below the radar of the forum...

Thanks in advance for all pointers to further info!

Cheers,
Martin
anhinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 02:50 PM   #2
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Hi Martin, welcome.

I think you should print the Mission Editor, most answers will be found there.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 02:58 PM   #3
anhinga
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Hi Martin, welcome.

I think you should print the Mission Editor, most answers will be found there.
Wow, fast reply, thanks!

I haven't printed the ME manual, but have been studying it religiously, on a second monitor, side by side with the Editor.
However, it seems to mainly describe the various input pages/fields, but doesn't have any "troubleshooting" info.

Can you give me a hint perhaps (such as a page number)? :hmm:

Cheers,
Martin
Old 08-02-07, 03:59 PM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

You have it attached to the Akula? The way I do kill triggers is attach them to the target to be killed.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 04:50 PM   #5
anhinga
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
You have it attached to the Akula? The way I do kill triggers is attach them to the target to be killed.
Thanks! Now there's an interesting suggestion!

And it works, too! (well, it would, coming from one of the Masters...)

Maybe I read the manual too much?

p.49 (about attached trigger properties):
  • Apply Trigger To: Options in the list include ALL and any controllable platform in the mission. When a specific controllable platform is selected in this drop-down, this trigger is only generated in the game if the player selects that platform to command.
I had read this as to imply the trigger should be attached to the killer rather than the killee, but OK: come to think of it, "Apply to" is not the same as "Attach to"...

However, it also says (my emphasis):
  • Kill: tests for the attached platform damaging a specified object within the constraints of the criteria found on later pages.
so, not "the attached platform being damaged by...". Oh well...

(Or may be the car carrier "damages" the Akula along the lines of "I'm sorry, guys, for running in front of your torpedo and blowing it up" ? )

Anyhow, problem solved, and fast, too!

Thanks again!

Martin
Old 08-03-07, 10:07 AM   #6
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinga
Anyhow, problem solved, and fast, too!

Martin
Good!
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 02:22 PM   #7
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinga
p.49 (about attached trigger properties):
  • Apply Trigger To: Options in the list include ALL and any controllable platform in the mission. When a specific controllable platform is selected in this drop-down, this trigger is only generated in the game if the player selects that platform to command.
I had read this as to imply the trigger should be attached to the killer rather than the killee, but OK: come to think of it, "Apply to" is not the same as "Attach to"...
Yea what this means is that if you have a kill trigger (Trigger 1) applying to 'Boat A' then have it "Apply to" 'Sub A' and another Trigger (2) Applying to 'Sub B' then when Sub A kills Boat A causing Trigger 1 to fire it will only fire that trigger and Trigger 2 (Boat A killed by Sub B).

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote