SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-20, 11:11 AM   #1
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default French Navy’s New Suffren Class Attack Submarine

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutto...9iYu5ntrUhuJyo

Quote:
Suffren is the first of 6 Barracuda type boats for the French Navy. She was laid down in December 2007 and launched in July last year.
She successfully completed a static dive test, part of the builder’s trials, on April 28.

At around 5,000 tons surfaced she is about twice the size of the diminutive Rubis class. And larger than any non-nuclear types in service around the world.
Yet she is still smaller than either the Royal Navy’s Astute Class (~7,000 tons) and the U.S. Navy’s Virginia Class (~8,000 tons).
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 12:32 PM   #2
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

UglyMowgli is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 12:58 PM   #3
1Nazgul
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Default New sub, very nice.

She looks like one hell of a nice submarine. I have to wonder how she would rate to the newest US subs?

"May we be in Heaven a half hour before the devil knows were dead"
(An old Irish toast)

1Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 01:05 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

1Nazgul!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 10:04 PM   #5
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

To be honest the french pour more money into their SSBN's than they do their SSN's having been on the preceeding Rubis class boats i was left very under whelmed by them.

The Suffren is a new kettle of fish

Size is irrelevent its what you do with it that counts (no pun intended), the Suffren is a major step up from the Rubis but i do think it will fall far short against the Astutes and Virginias (both share the same BAe made propulsion units), i also think it will come up short against the newest Russian boats as well.

While the principle weapon the F21 torpedo has a lot of hype it will have to prove itself in tests (war games and simulations) against the much venerable Spearfish and MK48 ADCAP's and here i think the F21 will actually hold its own, it seems from the brief a balanced torpedo with a lot of capability.

Another note is the Exocet, while probably one of the most battle tested and effective antiship missiles going, it has short comings namely range, generally you would have to be as close as 20nm to fire the thing at target well up against a trained OPFOR ASW unit you would be dead some time before you ever got to the firing point anyway.
What we can deduce is the Russians certainly have the lead in this field with supersonic and now hypersonic long range anti ship missiles and they currently arm their SSN's and SSGN's with.

One area left out in the Suffren, and i think this is crucial in todays age is Land attack; now the RN and USN have long range land attack capability with SSN's (USN also has 4 SSGN's) the latter USN having more capability than the RN as given by the additional VLS installments in the 688i and virginias.
Also the Russians have land attack capability in thier SSN's and we know of atleast one Project 949AM Oscar II SSGN (K266 Orel) that has been converted to carry 72 P800 Oniks missiles (capable of Anti ship and land attack)

Over all though in the grand picture the Suffren is a major step up but measuring up against the major powers it has some way to go before it would be comparable, and of course France has a different doctrine and foreign policy to the US and UK, but this submarine i believe is in keeping with the current policy of France.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 05:23 AM   #6
Exocet25fr
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 254

But Us Navy submarines have a poor failure steel hull!

https://eu.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...ry/3192966001/

And about Exocet missile it has evolved since Argentina episod, it is still called Exocet but it is not really the same anymore...

https://militaryleak.com/2018/10/29/...-mm40-block-3/

Last edited by Exocet25fr; 06-22-20 at 06:42 AM.
Exocet25fr is offline   Reply With Quote