SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-19, 01:37 AM   #1
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default With Regards To Manual Targeting...

Heyo folks. Long time no see.

Been playing SHIII despite my absence from the forums, and while in the past I've always used the automatic targeting provided by the game due to difficulties I had with manual, I've started training with the manual system again, and seem to be getting it down (randomly generated multiplayer missions work well for testing).

However, just to see if y'all might be able to help me understand: my issues in the past were that the torpedoes never seemed to take the right speed, or were simply fired down the bearing I had the periscope pointed. In order to eliminate that issue, perhaps someone here knows where my problem lied?

Now that I've started using manual effectively, I'd like to continue doing so, as it feels more, well...realistic.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-19, 03:31 AM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Kaptlt.Endras Welcome Back Chief check this out it might help you

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243298

Useful Docs below Uboat Comanders Handbook Translated into English by derstosstrupp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u_W...GSI_pCmH4/view

Happy Hunting Chief

Last edited by blackswan40; 12-25-19 at 03:52 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-19, 06:51 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

There is a bug indeed with switching between torpedo tubes with different speed torpedoes. (T1 slow, medium, fast, T2). When you select a different tube with a torpedo going at a different speed than the torpedo calculations were based on before, they are not updated. Be mindful to (re-)set the speed switch before aiming whenever to switch tubes. Or never use different speeds all together, use the common speed.

It could also be that you forgot to set the TDC update setting to on. Then it keeps firing the torpedo to a constant angle. (which could happen to be 000)

Edit: If the torpedoes are fired along the line of periscope sight then the speed is set to 0 kts or AOB is set to 0 or 180.
Old 12-25-19, 08:03 PM   #4
Seaman

Downloads: 63

just use one of Micropoint method and you wont anymore miss your target.

426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-19, 03:16 AM   #5
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Thanks y'all! The AOB charts especially, as I can have difficulties with some of the ships.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 12:16 PM   #6
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

The video is helpful indeed but i am confused about the 30 knots speed of the torpedo. He measures 30 km from the intersect point to the sub? This is very far away. This part is that i don't get. Or maybe it's 3 km, watching from my phone doesn't really help.

Last edited by foo_jam2002; 01-15-20 at 01:48 PM.
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 04:42 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_jam2002 View Post
The video is helpful indeed but i am confused about the 30 knots speed of the torpedo. He measures 30 km from the intersect point to the sub? This is very far away. This part is that i don't get. Or maybe it's 3 km, watching from my phone doesn't really help.
The line is about 3km, a scaled down length representing the torpedo speed. (he says so to make it 4km for medium speed torps, 4.5 km for fast)Later he draws a line along the target course of 0.9 km to represent it's speed and close the triangle with the line of sight. With 30km and 9 km it would just be uncomfortable large on the map.
Old 01-15-20, 05:32 PM   #8
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Thank you mate, appreciated.
Old 01-16-20, 12:25 PM   #9
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

The AoB is 0 but shouldn't be something different? The sub doesn't look to the ship exactly at the middle of it. Also, the torpedo goes towards the 0 bearing but the periscope is turned at 344 degrees.

In the TDC targeting, i remember that the bearing was always the number of the direction the sub looks to the ship just before it shoots. But in the manual targeting i read that the bearing must be left to 0.

I am into the game after a long time trying to remember everything and i am thinking of learning to do the targeting manually. Great game but very demanding learning curve.
Old 01-17-20, 02:01 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

What you are talking about is setting up the periscope to 0 and AOB to 90 to synchronize them, as you are on a perpendicular course (in this particular case, you don't have to be 90 degrees in general). You first have to flip the auto-TDC switch to 0 (if I remember correctly, it might be the other state), then set up the periscope and AOB to a predicted situation when the target is right in front of the tubes (so 0 bearing and AOB 90, what it would have once there), then flip the AutoTDC back to 1. After that you can change the direction of the periscope anywhere and the AOB dial is changed in step. When you look at whatever angle with the scopes the TDC will calculate the proper gyro angle based on target speed, torpedo speed, range, target bearing according to the proper torpedo turn geometry. And if the speed is constant for all targets you can shoot at any of them in the convoy as long as a ship is visible (meaning not behind another) and the range is roughly correct.
Old 01-18-20, 08:59 AM   #11
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Thanks for the info. In the manual targeting I don't have to look to the book for identification, right?
Old 01-18-20, 09:02 AM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

The identification is only required to get the mast-height for distance calculation (or length for speed). This you should work out yourself. The TDC itself doesn't do anything with it by itself.
Old 01-23-20, 08:38 AM   #13
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Thanks again mate. I managed to make it work in my third attempt, i followed the steps in the video but i failed 2 times.

I had an angle of 10 degrees, i turned the scope to 0, then to 10, waiting for the cargo to appear there. When it entered the 10 degrees mark i fired but by the time the torpedoe got to the ship, it had moved, so i missed miserably.

Then, i did exactly the same except that when the cargo entered the 10 degrees mark, i turned the periscope to 0 and fired. That shot was a success. I had to experiment because i was rusty but i am starting to get the hang of it.

When i used my own manual system, passing all the necessary info in the TDC, i succeeded so i have 2 ways of manual targeting that i can use and i am confident about my progress in the game.

I know you tried to explain and it's not your fault but i still can't understand how in the above video he fires at 344 degrees but the torpedo is following a line from 0 degrees. If you change the direction of the periscope as you stated, the torpedoe follows that direction. But, oh well, it's ok.
Old 01-28-20, 03:32 PM   #14
Sugardust
Watch

Downloads: 32
Default RAOBF

If you can get your hands on a GUI with a RAOBF tool in the periscope, then I highly recommend it. MaGUI has one, and I've always played with MaGUI because of that fact.

The RAOBF allows you to get a ship's distance, speed, and angle-on-the-bow using nothing but your stopwatch and periscope markers.

I simply lock my periscope on the ship and that's all I have to do and I get a hit if all the RAOBF calculations are correct.

Sugardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 09:31 PM   #15
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Thanks but it seems very confusing for me. After a long time reading the same notes again and again and watching videos again and again, having to concentrate on something like this will consume much of my time and make things complex. Now, i am at a point that i can play the game normally so i will stick to what i know. This magui seems interesting though.