SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-22, 11:39 AM   #16
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I assume you hear the sinking sound only when the ship is sinking. And that the only change you did is the range of the sound (in Sh3.sdl) ?

Now, some remarks :

- sounds in SH3 are sometimes buggy, especially when you pause the game...

- the order of the nodes in ship.dat and/or .dsd is important, and is the origin of the problems...

- after a ship has broken in two parts, there isn't any sinking sound playing (even if there is a sinking sound node for each part of the ship (bow & stern), it's probably a miss in the hardcode)...

To answer your questions, yes and yes.
Old 01-09-22, 01:47 PM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you have a set of files, such as "M35Hansa" dat, sim, zon, val, and dsd files, then generally, you link to the "mother" that creates the sound, as in

The sim file versus dat files that work on "names", such as prop & ruder, have to be spelled exactly alike in their "Label" nodes, else they won't link correctly. With the turret and similar nodes in the sim, like this link above, you use the node ID of the "instigator". With turrets, I always have a problem of linking to the correct part, and have to "copy" off a Stock game example...
Quote:
I assume you hear the sinking sound only when the ship is sinking. And that the only change you did is the range of the sound (in Sh3.sdl) ?

Now, some remarks :

- sounds in SH3 are sometimes buggy, especially when you pause the game...

- the order of the nodes in ship.dat and/or .dsd is important, and is the origin of the problems...

- after a ship has broken in two parts, there isn't any sinking sound playing (even if there is a sinking sound node for each part of the ship (bow & stern), it's probably a miss in the hardcode)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
It's a strange one Rick. In the dat files for some of them, there is a node listed as ship sinking sound...........but even some of the ships with this node don't make the noise while others do !?! Oh, and if you don't lock onto the target first, even just a lock and release, I don't get to use the external view for testing even though it's an activated option, nor get the sound !?! Lock on, get external view/sound, don't lock on, nothing. With the exact same ship !
But I have it working well for those that do anyway and for those that don't...........an extra torpedo !
I was not aware that the order of dsd nodes mattered, but it holds for reflections, visible underwater, statemachine, etc., it doesn't surprise me. So you want to find a known-good Stock ship and copy it. I wonder if the sound doesn't sound, because you "officially" are not aware of the ship sinking if you haven't "targeted" it? Anyway, make a mini-mod and find a known-good candidate to copy the way things are done there over to another "test" ship that doesn't have the sound yet, being careful of ID numbers and conflicts, of which we could hook you up with s7rikeback for a post-editing review of the Node IDs - but anyway, do the linking as in the top picture, where you match the dsd files sound link to a proper "parent" in the dat file, and see if that doesn't do the trick for that one ship, then spread the good cheer (noise) throughout the Sea folder... I can see it now - "JohnzGWX_SinkingSound mod...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 02:04 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I was not aware that the order of dsd nodes mattered, but it holds for reflections, visible underwater, statemachine, etc., it doesn't surprise me. So you want to find a known-good Stock ship and copy it. I wonder if the sound doesn't sound, because you "officially" are not aware of the ship sinking if you haven't "targeted" it? Anyway, make a mini-mod and find a known-good candidate to copy the way things are done there over to another "test" ship that doesn't have the sound yet, being careful of ID numbers and conflicts, of which we could hook you up with s7rikeback for a post-editing review of the Node IDs - but anyway, do the linking as in the top picture, where you match the dsd files sound link to a proper "parent" in the dat file, and see if that doesn't do the trick for that one ship, then spread the good cheer (noise) throughout the Sea folder... I can see it now - "JohnzGWX_SinkingSound mod...

After I noticed the sinking sound node in a tanker dat file, I figured that is exactly what I'd do; add it to those ships that don't have it and make a mod out of it, though with the myriad of ships out there, each person would have to make their own.
So I did add it to the C2, whipped up a mission, and tested it. Nothing. So I tried the C3 which does have the node. Nothing. Other ships do make the sound. Others do not even with the node.
Also, after I noticed the lock being required (!?) to hear the sound even with a node equpped ship I experimented with that aspect (lock or not).
Long story short, all that is needed is a quick lock; no id nor target data via the lock is required and you can even just do a quick lock/unlock and the sound/view works.
But without that quick lock/unlock, no view, no sinking sound regardless of the ship.
So it would appear something tied to the locking holds a key.
I'm trying to mimic the AOD function that had ship sinking sounds when one was submerged and had sunk a ship.
I've got it working with SH3 but because in SH3 unlike AOD, the sound incorrectly from a "reality" standpoint plays whether one is submerged or surfaced, one has to experiment with the Scufundare vapor.wav range a little so one doesn't hear the sound on the surface when possible.
Also unlike AOD, the sound plays whether your boat sunk a ship or it sunk for some other reason. I.e, another boat sunk a ship, weather damage, etc.
But adjusting the range helps with not hearing that if needed and I've got it working as well as it can in my installs.
Old 01-09-22, 04:57 PM   #19
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
So I did add it to the C2, whipped up a mission, and tested it. Nothing. So I tried the C3 which does have the node. Nothing.
Do you mean that you don't hear the sound when you're inside your u-boat, or also when you're in free-camera view ?
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 05:03 PM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Do you mean that you don't hear the sound when you're inside your u-boat, or also when you're in free-camera view ?

Both no sound. In fact, in my tests anyway, if you can hear it in external/free-camera view you'll hear it in the boat as long as the boat is within range.
All or nothing if you will.
Old 01-09-22, 05:26 PM   #21
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

That's strange, I've never noticed that some ships didn't play the sinking sound, in more than 10 years...
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 06:09 PM   #22
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
That's strange, I've never noticed that some ships didn't play the sinking sound, in more than 10 years...

Well it's only a very few and if your boat isn't in range you won't hear it anyway, so there's a lot of variables there to make something easy to miss.
Old 01-09-22, 06:48 PM   #23
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Check the Zones settings.

[ShipBubbles]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
Critic Flotation=0.300000
Armor Level=-1
HitPoints=1
Destructible=No
Critical=No
Effect1=#sink_bubbles, 1
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None
Crash Depth=3

EXACT Ships you have a problem with would help track issues. Would think you knew better then to say 'Some Ships'
Old 01-09-22, 07:02 PM   #24
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Check the Zones settings.

[ShipBubbles]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
Critic Flotation=0.300000
Armor Level=-1
HitPoints=1
Destructible=No
Critical=No
Effect1=#sink_bubbles, 1
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None
Crash Depth=3

EXACT Ships you have a problem with would help track issues. Would think you knew better then to say 'Some Ships'

Well I haven't tested all the ships, hence "some ships" but for starters the C-2 and C-3 in a stock non-modded install don't.
Old 01-09-22, 10:59 PM   #25
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What is the "AISShipBubbles" in that zones.cfg file, Jeff? slightly different, but not by much other than HitPoints and CrashDepth.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote