Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-19, 10:50 PM   #1
Coyote21
Swabbie

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default Frustrated new TWoS player

So I've come back to SH5 after being a very casual player several years ago. My reading suggested that using the Wolves of Steel Mod pack is the only real way to play the game b/c the stock game is so broken.

But I have to say I've been reading tutorials and playing now (the same first mission over and over again) for 3 days and I've yet to hit a single ship. I try to follow the youtube tutorials on using the Auto TDC and I've tried TheBerbster's tutorial (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=146) but they all seem to be too old to be relevant to TWoS ver 2.2.13. Some of the videos contain options and instructions that I don't even have available. (XO TDC having hyperlink options for speed, heading etc)

I don't have any issue maneuvering into position (approx 700-1000m away at 90deg angle). I just can't figure out how to target my torpedos correctly.

For example, in TheBerbster's tutorial, at step 13 when he "Break Lock" his TSL moves to point at the estimated ship position and not the current position, when I do this my TSL does not change. It always points at the targets current position when I "lock" it. If I unlock and relock it will update the TSL to point to the new ship position but as far as I can tell that's absolutely useless. I need it to point to where the ship will be, why does it keep pointing to where the ship currently is? Its almost like it thinks the ship is stationary.

And before you all tell me I should be using manual TDC to get the most out of the game, firstly, I'd like to master the simple version before I even attempt to hit something using the more complicated system and secondly I'm not sure I want to go through all that everytime I want to fire a torpedo.

Like the enigma machine, it was fun and interesting the first few times but got old quickly, now I've just turned it off. I think the TDC will be the same. Eventually I'd like to try manual targeting but I want to get auto targeting working first.

Sorry for the long rant but, like I said, I've got 3 days of frustration to release. If anyone needs video of my gameplay, just let me know and I'll try to post it somewhere.
Coyote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 11:06 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Coyote21, after a long silent run...rant away unapologetically man!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 11:16 PM   #3
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33

I don't have any issue maneuvering into position (approx 700-1000m away at 90deg angle). I just can't figure out how to target my torpedos correctly

With whatever you are doing thats not fully manual, You are 90% in a position to just set up manual.
The only thing you need is the targets speed if you are certain you are at a 90 degree angle infront of the target.

Getting the targets speed is prob most simple of all things to get manualy.

If your willing to read a tutorial on how to get a ships speed, all you need to do is put the ships speed in the TDC, move your scope bearing to zero, and then put the AOB to 90 degrees. After this all you need to do is move your scope left or right untill the gyro angle meter is on zero. When its on zero you just pull the trigger when the ship crosses your scope line.

Only other thing is put the torp depth on 2m, think it has to be lower in rough weather but youd be good most times.

Sorry man I have never played anything other that full realism, just wanted to let you know how close you are to setting it up manually. You never have to worry about range when doing 90 degree attack. but its best to do what your doing at close range.
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 11:19 PM   #4
Coyote21
Swabbie

Thanks,

Additionally, I've been watching some of the Let's Plays by Taff in Exile and it reminded me of how the stock game worked.

Is it possible to get this stock targeting back using TWoS? That is, you lock the target and get a triangle that changes from green to red to let you know how "good" your shot is.

I really like a lot of the changes in wolves of steel but maybe a different mod pack would suit me better?

Things I like about TWoS:
The campaign, The graphics, The UI, New ships, stability.
The ability to go to "harder" difficulties later (Manual TDC, Real Navigation, etc)
If it behaves as TheBerbster suggests and you can target and hit ships upto 5km away (really hope this is possible)

Things I could do with or without:
Enigma, Crew Morale mini-game / conversations about family etc

Things I don't like:
Torpedo targeting

Oh and what is SOAN? I can't seem to find an explanation of this acronym anywhere. It's something to do with ship recognition?

Last edited by Coyote21; 07-11-19 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 11:29 PM   #5
Fidgety
Mate

Have you looked at the OPTIONS FILE EDITOR VIEWER ?

Im guessing if you are missing something from the original game, you might be able to revert some changes there.

Someone else had best help you really, like I said I only have played on 100% percent.

"Oh and what is SOAN?" I believe its the acronym for the ship recognition manual. The book that pops up when you press E to identify ships.

Last edited by Fidgety; 07-11-19 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 12:00 AM   #6
Coyote21
Swabbie

Yes, I've looked at the OPTIONS FILE EDITOR VIEWER quite a lot and have made several changes based on suggestions from these forums and a few I decided on myself.

tbh, I'm concerned that's what may be the problem. Maybe I've broken my game somehow by messing with these?

If someone can tell me if/where changes can be made in OFEV so torpedo targeting would work like it does in stock? (I'll take some screen shots of my current OFEV settings and post once I organise externally site rego, etc.

And I was looking for an explanation of what SOAN stood for, but thanks for the confirmation that it's something to do with ship recognition (wasn't really sure about that).

TDC.jpg

XO TDC.jpg

Last edited by Coyote21; 07-12-19 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 06:15 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Are you sure you've disabled "manual targeting system" option in gameplay settings? You don't have to use OFEV at all in order to have Auto TDC in TWoS ...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 06:24 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hello Coyote,

I'm currently busy working on a megamod list which will be soon ready for download and will contain a more easy gameplay compared to WoS, more oriented towards the stock game, but with many bugs taken away.

For the moment I can give you these tips to turn WoS into medium difficulty:

- The gameplay options that you use during campaign can only be set in the sub pen, not in the main menu;

- in the game options, switch manual TDC off to play with Auto TDC; also keep the 'hide map contacts' unchecked, you can change the severity of that during game;

- Auto TDC is crazy simple, too simple to my taste:
lock target, unlock target to get the firing solution into TDC computer, fire torpedo; however you can switch to manual TDC by clicking on the WO near the optics to get away from this arcade play, in which case you have to gather and enter speed, AOB, range, bearing that you can determine in different ways.

- You can increase/decrease difficulty by launching the map options in-game and make enemy hydrophones, enemy visibility range appear or disappear on the map; in the OFEV you can set this to be permanent when you launch game;

- Good torpedo firing position is not enough, you need to set magnetic/impact setting for torpedo when appropriate (in bad weather don't use magnetic), then the right depth for the torpedo running; the right speed according to the target range. Then, with the first Steam torpedos, don't be surprised if enemies can easily evade them, the torpedo bubbles were visible at long distances...Better be 800m close and set the speed to be fast.

- For faster ship identification you can set in the OFEV (in the SOAN tab) to automatically launch the Ship ID book at the right page when identifying a ship (you need to load the optional WoS mod)

- Get away from the first campaign missions by typing 'silentotto' in the main campaign screen, you will be able to start where you want in the war. I find 'Coastal Waters' much too difficult for starting players, chose 'Happy times' to start with, enemies won't have radars to spot you yet and the game variety is more interesting.

All in all, I find the damage modelling for the sub much too severe in WoS and the realistic aspect way too overdone, also these guys on merchands that fire deck guns from 4000m away with high precision must be Superman personified.... A reason to also look for alternative mods, although I find WoS the best megamod around for stability, grafics and setting possibilities. You can turn WoS into an easy game, no problem.

I hope these little tricks will help you, have fun!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-12-19 at 06:47 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 06:52 AM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
- For faster ship identification you can set in the OFEV (in the SOAN tab) to automatically launch the Ship ID book at the right page when identifying a ship (you need to load the optional WoS mod)

Note that this won't work every time and that may confuse some players. In TWoS, several variations of the same ship may be represented with only one rec.manual entry, which will render this function useless in some cases ...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 07:50 AM   #10
Coyote21
Swabbie

@XenoSurf, Can't wait for you new megamod. Until then I'll soldier on (seamen on?) and attempt other fixes and/or learn to use manual TDC.

Quote:
- Auto TDC is crazy simple, too simple to my taste:
lock target, unlock target to get the firing solution into TDC computer, fire torpedo; however you can switch to manual TDC by clicking on the WO near the optics to get away from this arcade play, in which case you have to gather and enter speed, AOB, range, bearing that you can determine in different ways.
This is what makes me think my game might just be bugged. When I lock my target the TDC gets updated but then when I unlock the target, nothing changes, so my torpedos run to where the target was when I fired and always end up going behind my targets.

I'm gonna try uninstall/reinstall SH5 and TWoS and start a new campaign.

Thank you all for advice, at least now I'm reasonably confident that I'm doing it right, the game is just not responding correctly.

On the bright side, I'm also confident I can use manual TDC now with just a little practice. I just hope with practice it becomes easier than enigma decoding which still takes me ages.
Old 07-12-19, 03:12 PM   #11
Fidgety
Mate

"On the bright side, I'm also confident I can use manual TDC now with just a little practice"

Once you have done a few manual TDC and you feel confident, Just add one new thing to how you set up on each attempt. Like for instance keep your real nav turned off but practice ranging your target with the RAOBF wheel while you wait for the ship to get into your firing sight. You can mess around knowing you are going to sink it anyway.

Once you are feeling confident enough I highly reccomend learning the 4 bearing method. Its great for immersion and will teach you how to drop a target without ever having to surface and you dont even have to look at the target.

As said above by OP, Danzig bay starting mission can be a little tricky and I would suggest not learning the 4 bearing method on this mission. If you set up a 30km ring with the compass and sit outside danzig port waiting for merchants to come in and out of danzig bay, you might get frustrated with it not working. This is because ships leaving port will make numerous course changes untill they get on a solid course out at sea. You can be left scratching your head as to what went wrong if you didnt know that the ship has made a slight course change half way through your map work.

Go for it man, learn the 4 bearing method, it will make you feel great.