SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-16, 07:06 PM   #1
Mallet
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Manual Targeting in TMO different from stock game?

Hello, I am very new to this mod and more accurately, manual targeting. In the stock game I have for the most part figured out the manual targeting and how to do it. However in TMO, I am having problems where I can reload the same situation several times and follow the same steps to find a solution but miss or barely hit (tip of bow or stern) the enemy ship each separate instance. To cut things short, I just don't know how the targeting changed in this mod. I also no longer really know how to figure out AOB without the ship shapes on the map. Sorry for long first post. I really want to get into this game as much as many of you have and hope to be a regular here.
Mallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 09:22 PM   #2
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There is probably an assist you can follow in the sticky posts. But, briefly, a few suggestions. You don't need the ship's shape to determine AoB, but you do need the target's track, or path of travel. More importantly you need the target's speed. You can determine this in numerous ways, but a simple way is to plot its position twice, at 3 minute interval. This way also gives you its track. Distance travel over 3 minutes yields speed in knots. With the track, use the compass to determine AoB as the angle between drawing the line from your position to the target's position extended thru its track. Now enter the speed first in the TDC, then AoB, and finally distance and bearing to target's position. Turn on the Position Keeper and you have a firing solution. Look for a more complete answer in the stickies.
Enjoy the results, I do! Good luck!
Old 09-04-16, 02:36 AM   #3
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet View Post
In the stock game I have for the most part figured out the manual targeting and how to do it.
Bonjour,

If you understand this with the stock game, apply it with TMO.
TMO has no impact on manual targeting.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 04:51 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > Mallet
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Post #7 Formula For Imperial Speed Calculating.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 03:11 PM   #5
Mallet
Swabbie

Thank you for all the responses! I read through the imperial speed calculation intruction but it asks for the ship length. How do i find ship length? My recognition manual doesnt provide this.
Old 09-05-16, 03:48 PM   #6
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

See the sticky SH2<>tutorial<>How to do it on manual targeting. There are methods described that don't use target ship's length.
Old 09-05-16, 04:01 PM   #7
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet View Post
I read through the imperial speed calculation intruction but it asks for the ship length. How do i find ship length? My recognition manual doesnt provide this.
Ship length? Bah!

Plot the target position on the map. Wait three minutes. Plot the target's new position on the map. Measure the distance in yards, divide by 100.
You now have the target speed in knots, without knowing the length.

By plotting it out on the map, you also figure his course, bearing, AoB, range, etc. A good plot is key to the targeting problem.
Old 09-05-16, 04:44 PM   #8
Mallet
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Ship length? Bah!

Plot the target position on the map. Wait three minutes. Plot the target's new position on the map. Measure the distance in yards, divide by 100.
You now have the target speed in knots, without knowing the length.

By plotting it out on the map, you also figure his course, bearing, AoB, range, etc. A good plot is key to the targeting problem.
Wow, thats excellent! Thank you so much for the help! I hope I can get to the point where I can do these crazy calculations in my head as well as the sonar methods and such! What a helpful community.
Old 09-07-16, 11:48 PM   #9
Gibus
Ensign

Quote:
Plot the target position on the map.
Bonjour,

This only works with the targets on the map.
Otherwise you must use the device superimposed images from the periscope.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 12:26 AM   #10
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibus View Post
This only works with the targets on the map.
Otherwise you must use the device superimposed images from the periscope.
I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you're saying, but if I am getting the message correctly:
You don't need the targets displayed on the map. If you get the range and bearing (by periscope, sonar, or radar), you can plot the target yourself.

Of course, it does become much more complicated to do this method with map contacts off. I'm still willing to pay the full price I paid for the game just for the ability to lock a target, get the range, hit the button, and have the position plotted on the map automatically. (Or at least have the PK marker on the map screen.)
Old 09-08-16, 10:02 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Never in the war was there a single incidence of obtaining target speed by timing the ship's length by the wire. The majority of the time the target was misidentified and that technique would have resulted in bizarre numbers anyway.

We have had several very fanciful targeting techniques developed which are not historically justifiable. This is one of them. It is simply gaming the system by using god's eye information not available to real submarine crews.

Razark has it absolutely correct: plotting is the beginning and end of a successful attack. And TMO has nothing to do with it, except that it shows ship positions by a position dot, not a silhouette, has no explanitory text and the attack map is lacking some extraneous information also.

I believe that you are not using the TDC properly. It is crucial that you obtain and enter information in a certain order not specified in the game manual or any manual targeting instructions that I've seen outside of my own.

If you're interested, I could tell you about it, but it's a large post on its own! But when I'm done you will understand why you're doing it wrong, I will prove why order of operations is crucial and you'll be able to visualize the process in a way that will ensure your setup is right every time. It's not enough to memorize a list of things to do. You have to know why each step is in that particular order and understand what each step accomplishes. Without in depth understanding of the process you will miss and never know why.

Oh, mallet, quite the opposite of doing calculations in your head, every operation you can unload from your head and make the TDC or plot do will increase your accuracy. You will want all operations to be self-validating so mistakes are OBVIOUS. Numerical calculations are garbage in/garbage out with no obvious error trapping. They're very bad ways to run a war!

Vector analysis, for instance, beats trigonometry every time!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-08-16 at 10:15 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 05:00 PM   #12
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
If you're interested, I could tell you about it, but it's a large post on its own!
I'm curious. I've seen it asserted that there is a certain order, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it laid out, nor the reasoning behind it.

I do know that whatever I've been doing seems to work. I put in the AoB/target course, then speed, and finally the bearing and range, which I'll update as needed. Only after that do I turn on the PK. (But then, I've got a number of mods that might affect data input.)

Quote:
Vector analysis, for instance, beats trigonometry every time!
I use vector analysis quite often, and always in S Boats.
One of the first things I do when starting a patrol is go to a quiet area of the map, and draw out a diagram setting up angles and circles I manipulate to solve the problem. I keep meaning to learn the Is-Was.

Last edited by razark; 09-08-16 at 05:15 PM.
razark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 06:54 PM   #13
Barkerov
Soundman

Quote:
I'm curious. I've seen it asserted that there is a certain order, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it laid out, nor the reasoning behind it.
I am curious to see RR's post about this as well. I have always thought that the hierarchy of input to the TDC was speed first, AOB second and Range third.

My reasoning is based on the fact that the TDC input has to be done in real time and the ship is always moving. Once I obtain the speed, that wont change unless the target changes course so I want to do that first. If I do it last then I am racing around the screen clicking at the end and that is a perfect breeding ground for mistakes.

That leaves the two things that do change in real time. AOB changes the slowest of the two, especially if you are plotting way ahead of firing time. This is because any angular change between me and the target happens slowly until the target is crossing in front of me.

The range I enter last and once I do, I click the PK as soon as possible because the range constantly changes. Remember that the estimate of range is only valid for a single moment in time because we are looking at a moving target. The real drawback of the TDC is that the stadimeter is rubbish, but that's another story.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 08:17 PM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Okay, I was wanting to know I was talking to interested people and not just pushing my ideas on unreceptive mindsets. It doesn't do any good to do that because all listening is voluntary

Okay, let's first look at what the TDC does when the position keeper is on. What it's really doing is setting up an artificial target. When you shoot, you are not shooting at that ship out there, you are shooting at the TDC's artificial target. You WILL hit the artificial target. But, because it really doesn't exist you don't get booms! That is, unless there is a REAL target occupying the same spot where the artificial target is hit.

Our job is to make the artificial target move at the same speed and course as the real target and be superimposed exactly on top of the real target. Kapeech? Ever thought of it that way?

Well, if you do it aids your visualization of the targeting process and makes your targeting much more intelligent. Let's set up a target and do it all wrong. I'll explain every step of the way.

Target sighted! AoB is set zero, speed zero and range/bearing 0/0. It won't be set that way in the game but you gotta start somewhere. So right now the TDC plots the target right on top of the submarine, but not moving. It's facing north. As the sub moves the target stays right there and the sub moves away from the artificial target, doesn't it?

Let's get a stadimeter reading on this puppy! We find his range at 2000 yards and bearing 90º. The TDC plots the artificial target at that spot in the ocean. It isn't moving, The real target is so it just runs away from the artificial target. We won't hit if we shoot now, will we?

So let's get a speed. A three minute run is 600 yards so he's running 6 knots. We enter that. What happens to our artificial target. NOTHING! It sits there motionless, farther and farther away from the real target at a rate of 200 yards a minute!

Now we'll work out angle on the bow. We connect the two points, extend the track and use the protractor and get an AoB. We enter that in the TDC. What happens? NOTHING!! The artificial target is still sitting there motionless in the position we fixed several minutes ago.

Turn on the PK. NOW finally, the artificial target begins to move in the same direction and at the same speed as the real target. Unfortunately, the artificial target is several hundred yards behind the real one. You're about to waste some torpedoes.

Let's do things right. The very first thing you should do is turn on the position keeper. Why? Because otherwise you'll forget, that's why. Without the PK on, the artificial target won't move, either rightly or wrongly, at all. So turn on the PK first.

Second and third, and these two can be done in any order you want, speed and course/AoB can be entered. Use your radar to get two positions 3 minutes apart. Now you have speed, and that usually is what I'll get entered first. Make sure you press the send traingle button TWICE.

Then extend the track on the nav map out in front of the target for a distance that you won't have to fiddle with later. Now what's happening right now is you have an artificial target that is moving at the correct speed, but in the wrong direction and at the wrong position. That's what we want.

Enter the AoB determined by your protractor into the TDC and press send twice. Yes, I'm afraid that's necessary. So now we have an artificial target moving at the right speed and course, but not in the right position.

Can you see why we absolutely HAVE TO do the range/bearing last? It's because the artificial target is ALREADY MOVING at the correct speed and course. As soon as we peg the position, it will immediately begin moving at that speed and course JUST LIKE THE REAL TARGET. Therefore your artificial target, which your torpedoes WILL HIT is and will stay exactly on top of the real target.

If you want to be really fussy and verify your solution is good, go to the attack map and read the torpedo run time. Suppose it's one minute. If your artificial target, plotted on the attack map (!), stays on top of the real target for one minute you have sufficient accuracy to shoot. This is exactly analogous to the check that was done every time submarines shot a several thousand dollar torpedo in the war. They didn't just enter the numbers, trust they made no errors and shoot. If they didn't verify, they didn't shoot. That's why the attack map is an essential part of realistic targeting.

Now after your check the artificial target is no longer on top of the real target. Fix that by doing another stadimeter shot, which fixes the position of the artificial target back on top of the real one.

You're ready to shoot and you'll get booms, I guarantee it! And now you can visualize what is happening as you enter those numbers. They aren't meaningless digits any more. Each one of them now means something to you. Something important. Something you can visualize clearly. You're a sub commander now.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 09:48 PM   #15
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I put in the AoB/target course, then speed, and finally the bearing and range, which I'll update as needed.
Wow. I am wrong. I forgot how I do it.

Speed and course are usually known from radar well in advance of visual sighting. Once I am in position ahead of the target and he's in visual range, I start entering the data. First, get bearing. Range doesn't matter at this point (and the stadiameter is crap at long range, anyway), I think I usually just run it up to maximum. Send that to the TDC. Then I get the AoB, which isn't actually AoB. I enter it by watching the target course dial. Once the course matches, AoB is set. Then enter the speed. After that, turn on the PK, and update range and bearing. Then watch the PK to check the actual target against the artificial one. Adjust target speed as needed, and update range and bearing occasionally.

There's a mod that slightly changes the way data input works. Once you set the AoB, it updates whenever you change bearing. If I have a ship dead ahead (bearing of 0/360), and I set his AoB at 90 degrees starboard, then turn the scope to 300 and send a new bearing to the TDC, the AoB automatically updates to 30 degrees starboard. Send a bearing of 315, and the Aob sets to 45s. Convenient for attacking convoys, where everybody's going the same direction.

There's also this one that updates the dials as you move them, so long as the PK is off. This makes entering the course much easier. It's the reason I don't turn on the PK until later.

Quote:
Let's do things right. The very first thing you should do is turn on the position keeper. Why? Because otherwise you'll forget, that's why. Without the PK on, the artificial target won't move, either rightly or wrongly, at all. So turn on the PK first.
Can you see why we absolutely HAVE TO do the range/bearing last? It's because the artificial target is ALREADY MOVING at the correct speed and course. As soon as we peg the position, it will immediately begin moving at that speed and course JUST LIKE THE REAL TARGET. Therefore your artificial target, which your torpedoes WILL HIT is and will stay exactly on top of the real target.
Basically, it boils down to having the AoB and speed set, and the PK turned on, before you enter your critical bearing and range.

In my procedure, since the scope is locked on target, the bearing is spot on and the angles work out for entering the course. Quite often, I don't have the artificial target on top of the real target until quite late in the attack. I just watch it relative to the target to make sure speed and course are good. Once I'm into the final phase of the attack, I make sure I've got the range correct. Soon after, it's time for a shooting observation and a final bearing/range update and fire.

Quote:
Make sure you press the send traingle button TWICE.
Yes. Every time. It quickly becomes a habit. It's a minor annoyance, but quite important.

Quote:
And now you can visualize what is happening as you enter those numbers. They aren't meaningless digits any more. Each one of them now means something to you.
Indeed. Understanding what the numbers mean and how they relate to the targeting problem is vital to putting holes in marus on a regular basis.

Tags
aob, missing, targeting, tdc, tmo