SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-12, 10:11 AM   #31
codefool
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Not *that* bad...

I had a completely different reaction. The key thing here is that the entire situation - the launch orders, the captain being relieved, etc. - is the result of a conspiracy that will be revealed "in the mysterious future." Since the POTUS is clearly OTL, and there is something going on here outside the DOD, then the captain took the only course of action - to go some place defensible by a nuclear sub, demonstrate will to use specific force, and issue a statement (to prove he is "crazy" - a tie-in to the Reagan reference earlier) about what will happen if he's attacked. Clearly, the Story Arc is for the sub to sit pat, and wait for the world to once again become sane (whatever that is...) In the meantime, you have elements of a confused crew who are torn between the "legal" orders of their captain, and what they perceive is "legal" orders from the CIC. Oh, and then there's the seals and whatever mess they started ("We killed the wrong peeeeople...")

The writing is fast and clipped, and is for the mainstream audience. It seems there's more than a few steps missing from their nuclear launch protocol, but - as the OP remarked - only 44 minutes to get the sub where it needs to be by the end of the show. The acting is good, however, so maybe once they get their "sea legs" this will pick up a bit. I'll give it a couple of more episodes. But, as someone above remarked, if time travel or eternity water or their ilk comes about, all bets are off.
codefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 07:06 PM   #32
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Nice summary!
Old 09-18-12, 11:00 PM   #33
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I am normally not one to take another person's word on something, but it sounds like Bernard wrote the script on this one.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 12:00 AM   #34
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
I am normally not one to take another person's word on something, but it sounds like Bernard wrote the script on this one.
Bernard is a fun loving, good intentioned sailor.

Sure he drinks the peroxide in the torpedoes, but he would certainly be able to write something better than this.

Bernard is offended, I hope he isn't working in your radio room when a destroyer is looking for you.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 10:36 AM   #35
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

My face as I read that whole synopsis

Old 09-19-12, 12:24 PM   #36
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Hey KP, good to see you.

@ thread:

The show just looks too PC for me and they are pushing their women in subs agenda. Now, we've already had that debate here at subsim.

The thing that struck me most funny about the show, and the argument to have women in subs, was how they (the women) are not a distraction to the rest of the male crew. So I thought it was very ironic, that the people pushing the women in subs agenda, would be doing this (the CO and the XO):

Now isn't there some Navy rule that the CO can't be shagging crew members, let alone the second in command?

I bet JAG would love these two in real life. We found our two newest cooks for the Navy tugboats in Alaska.
Old 09-19-12, 12:26 PM   #37
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Bernard is a fun loving, good intentioned sailor.

Sure he drinks the peroxide in the torpedoes, but he would certainly be able to write something better than this.

Bernard is offended, I hope he isn't working in your radio room when a destroyer is looking for you.

Bernard is normally a planesman on my boat. Stupid crash dive bug!
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 01:28 PM   #38
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Sure he drinks the peroxide in the torpedoes...
You know, that explains a lot.
Old 09-19-12, 06:36 PM   #39
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129

I too was United States Navy, an ST (Sonar Technician) in fact to start my career.

I have NOT seen the show yet and am waiting until I can watch it on my HDTV setup. Until then, there is much I do not know yet about the story.. That being said...

Since seeing the trailer for this show I have wondered a few things and I also knew immediately that this show was just not plausible nor believable although perhaps it looks cool.

First, a sub captain cannot launch his nukes on his own. And even if the entire crew agreed, he still could not launch them without one major step in the process. There is much more involved than just turning some keys, entering some codes and pushing of some buttons. Of that/those other steps I am not going to say nor discuss because it is still and will probably always be very highly classified. Let's just say it cannot happen.

My first thought when I saw the trailer was that the ONLY way anything like this had any possibility was if someone very high in the government somehow went rogue, was able to obtain launch codes, other procedures needed AND had access to some other very important parts of the government in this process and then somehow sent a legitimate launch order to the sub only for them to find out it was not valid and now the real government thought they went rogue.

But even that premise would just be so far out.

Thankfully I can say from experience that this scenario is pretty much impossible. There are too many checks and balances, way to many questions that would be asked and MUST be answered and so forth for there to be a launch. And that even includes in the case America is struck or launched upon first. Something known as the 'deadman's switch or scenario'.

I personally am more interested in the new show Revolution because it is more plausible albeit that is also a stretch in the sense all electricity is forever turned off and cannot ever be turned back on... even on that one I cannot think of any scenario that could change physics to such a degree and yet mankind survive...

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 09:24 PM   #40
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Looks like the NavyTimes is reporting on this show as well. Apparently, there's a retired Navy O-5 submariner who loved the show.

http://militarytimes.com/entertainme...esort-092412w/

I'm still looking forward to Robert Patrick as the COB. That guy is a beast. Braugher's not so bad, either. I liked some of his other work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Now isn't there some Navy rule that the CO can't be shagging crew members, let alone the second in command? I bet JAG would love these two in real life. We found our two newest cooks for the Navy tugboats in Alaska.
Fraternization, homie. The XO and an LT? No way, Jose! Besides, if you're fraternizing in-service, you must really be desperate. Surely there are better choices!

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 09-21-12 at 10:01 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 08:37 PM   #41
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

In all realism, if something were to happen in real life, would multiple officers onboard have to "agree" for a lack of better words.?

One man is never given such a decision, it makes no sense. Also the 2 key stuff we see in movies, is that real too?

I am interested on how a launch would be initiated on a real boomer.

I know subsim can deliver!

I do not want classified stuff, just hypothetically asking.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 10:43 PM   #42
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
The thing that struck me most funny about the show, and the argument to have women in subs, was how they (the women) are not a distraction to the rest of the male crew. So I thought it was very ironic, that the people pushing the women in subs agenda, would be doing this (the CO and the XO):

Now isn't there some Navy rule that the CO can't be shagging crew members, let alone the second in command?
That's not the CO and XO. She's a defence contractor and he's some kind of metrosexual eye candy, or something. They are nowhere near the sub.
Old 09-25-12, 11:47 PM   #43
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
That's not the CO and XO. She's a defence contractor and he's some kind of metrosexual eye candy, or something. They are nowhere near the sub.
Eh.
Imagine if you made it so that that scene was what the crew of U-156 was watching at the beginning of The Sinking of the Laconia.
I assure you, nobody would be cheering in that version!
Old 09-27-12, 08:16 AM   #44
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Airs tonight. Let' see what you think.
Old 09-27-12, 10:42 AM   #45
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Airs tonight. Let' see what you think.
Admin, user. Letting you know what we think. Aye, sir!
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote