SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-11, 07:40 PM   #91
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

thanks frau!
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:35 PM   #92
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

You're very welcome!
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 09:57 AM   #93
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Saved games may not reload

When testing this mod extensively, and the depthcharges disturbance mod, for a new version of NYGM, I found that it was almost impossible to reload any saved game. (Releases of NYGM are tested with a full career.)

The problem of reloading saved games which then cause CTDs is very well known, and can have a number of causes, but I could not reload *any* game created after sighting any enemy unit (sea or air or convoy), evading it to a safe distance, then making a saved game. I could only reload a game saved soon after departing base, when no enemy had yet been seen.

By a tedious process of systematic trial and error, it became clear that it was one or other (or both) of the TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1.4_SH3 and the TDW_DC_waterdisturbance_V4.0_SH3 that was corrupting the saved game (almost certainly the Ship_Plane_Fire_Dame mod). Once these files were removed, it became possible to save and reload games again - subject to all the usual limitations!

This a great pity, because I think the Ship_Plane_Fire mod is wonderful in operation. But I cannot add it as it stands to NYGM. Sometimes one wants to save one's game.

Has anyone else noted this problem, not necessarily with NYGM?

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 12:24 PM   #94
A6Intruder
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
When testing this mod extensively, and the depthcharges disturbance mod, for a new version of NYGM, I found that it was almost impossible to reload any saved game. (Releases of NYGM are tested with a full career.)

The problem of reloading saved games which then cause CTDs is very well known, and can have a number of causes, but I could not reload *any* game created after sighting any enemy unit (sea or air or convoy), evading it to a safe distance, then making a saved game. I could only reload a game saved soon after departing base, when no enemy had yet been seen.

By a tedious process of systematic trial and error, it became clear that it was one or other (or both) of the TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1.4_SH3 and the TDW_DC_waterdisturbance_V4.0_SH3 that was corrupting the saved game (almost certainly the Ship_Plane_Fire_Dame mod). Once these files were removed, it became possible to save and reload games again - subject to all the usual limitations!

This a great pity, because I think the Ship_Plane_Fire mod is wonderful in operation. But I cannot add it as it stands to NYGM. Sometimes one wants to save one's game.

Has anyone else noted this problem, not necessarily with NYGM?

Stiebler.
Hi,
yes i could confirm your words. After my testings with LSH 5.1, in my opinion it has to be: TDW_DC_waterdisturbance_V4.0_SH3 Mod.
I only could reload when no enemy ship was sunk before.
Best regards
A6Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 01:39 PM   #95
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

p.s link down.

I may have to confirm this too. I didnt realize it but i cant reload my saved games after i sink a ship either (or get depth charged). I am running GWX 3.0 and a lot of other mods, so i cannot be TOO sure, but it looks likely with all the described problems above.
Old 04-25-11, 03:13 PM   #96
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Stiebler,

I've just made a quick test with a scr campaign file containing only a single ship. I had no problems with saving at any instance

I don't know which exe you use, but Privateer once mentioned that the no-cd exe (the cracked one with starforce removed) is less stable than the original exe without any starforce trace (the one h.sie uses for his patches). I use the original one without starforce. I guess you too. If not, this might be the difference

BTW, have you tested the water disturbance mod? I made several tests and could not find any clear sign that it is actually doing what it's supposed to do. My feeling is that it has no influence at all on the AI. See here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=121

and the other posts in the thread. If you have made some tests with different results it would be great if you could share them!

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 03:19 PM   #97
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Interesting observations, I think I'll look into this as well...
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 04:14 PM   #98
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Are these problems only with NYGM and LSH? Or is it happening with GWX as well?

Edit: Never mind, just saw Salvadoreno's post above.
Old 04-25-11, 04:34 PM   #99
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Hmmmm....

You know, I had a CTD after reloading a save after I had sunk a ship and I thought I might finally be the victim of a save game crash. I have always ignored the rules and have never had a problem until then.

I had to restart the career. The last time I played, I had just sunk a ship and was well away from the convoy and getting into position to pursue and reposition for a second attack when I had to call it quits and I saved.

I haven't loaded that save yet but now you really have my curiosity up on what might happen. I do have both those mods enabled and it is the first time I've played with them.

I will advise when I try it.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 04:58 PM   #100
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
Hmmmm....

You know, I had a CTD after reloading a save after I had sunk a ship and I thought I might finally be the victim of a save game crash. I have always ignored the rules and have never had a problem until then.

I had to restart the career. The last time I played, I had just sunk a ship and was well away from the convoy and getting into position to pursue and reposition for a second attack when I had to call it quits and I saved.

I haven't loaded that save yet but now you really have my curiosity up on what might happen. I do have both those mods enabled and it is the first time I've played with them.

I will advise when I try it.
May just be me, but it does seem like we've had quite a few reports lately of people not being able to load any saves made while at sea in mid-patrol. I don't think anyone's specifically mentioned these mods in relation to that, but who would've made the connection without a lot of extensive testing directed at them in particular?
Old 04-25-11, 05:20 PM   #101
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Using GWX 3.0:
I loaded my save after I sunk the ship-CTD.
I loaded a previous save under a different name while I was stalking the convoy and prior to sinking the ship-loaded fine. I saved this one while surfaced, within sight of about a dozen ships, probably within 12km.

Obviously more testing needs to be done. I use the fire damage mod in SH4 and have had no problems but people have had issues with the DC disturbance md in SH4 and I haven't tried that.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 06:21 PM   #102
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper View Post
Keep getting a 'file not found' message on filefront. Can somebody confirm please?

regards

slipper
Gamefront works fine.

Many thanks, TDW, you make ours days!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 03:05 AM   #103
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Uninstalled both TDW mods. Started a new career, sank a ship. Saved and reloaded. BAM! All good! Thats to bad
Old 04-26-11, 08:57 AM   #104
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Many thanks, everyone, for this feedback.

After reading the majority opinion that the real problem was probably the depthcharge-disturbances mod, I played a long patrol in early 1944 with TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1.4_SH3 mod in place, and the TDW_DC_waterdisturbance_V4.0_SH3 mod excluded.

After attacking three convoys and being bombed and depth-charged several times, and making repeated save-games, I was still able to reload successfully the last saved game after nearly three months at sea.

So those who blamed the TDW_DC_waterdisturbance_V4.0_SH3 mod were correct.

That means NYGM can still use TDW's fire damage mod, I am glad to say. I was always doubtful about the usefulness of the water-disturbance mod, after reading the comments of others, so that is less of a loss.

Just for the record, and from long experience, the following combinations of circumstances (no connexion with TDW's mods) continue to cause defective saved games that cannot be reloaded:
1. If two convoys spawn close to your U-boat at about the same time, then any game save made afterwards, wherever saved, will be corrupt.
2. Any game-save made after a convoy has spawned with Sergbuto's AI U-boats attached, will also be corrupt.

It is always safer not to make game-saves when any other unit is within 30 km.

Stiebler.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 09:28 AM   #105
Bakkels
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 6

Guess I'm a little too late with my input, but I can confirm your findings; I've been playing with the Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage for countless patrols now, and I often save and load while at sea (even submerged with a convoy at less than 5 km distance) and I never had a problem.
I don't have the WaterDisturbance mod, but I do have a load of other mods running, and it never crashed.
Bakkels is offline   Reply With Quote