SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-19, 12:56 PM   #1
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default TOTALLY AWESOME! ...and some questions...

Hi guys,

okay, first of all some quick Questions:

1) Is there any way to SAVE the game? I am playing solo right know and enjoy sailing around (not interested in warfare so far, I just want to roam around and OPERATE this U-Boat!!!)

2) Are the Devs going to build the rest of the U-Boat interior?

3) Is there an Option to set time or Speed up time? (Don´t want to start at nights all the time!)

4) Blowing the Ballast tanks takes about 70-80% of compressed air. I do know that the type VII hadn´t much compressed air compared to other Subs at that time, but I also know that they only needed a little bit to surface (they used the Diesel exhaust-pressure to blow out the remaining water) - reportedly they sometimes had to crash dive, surface, crash dive several times in a row, so using up so much compressed air cannot be realistic.
On the other hand, refilling compressed air with the compressor seems way to fast, it only takes 2 minutes or so.

Okay, so much for my questions. Now here are my first impressions:

This sim Looks AMAZING and is so immersive I was totally stunned just walking around for some minutes. I was inside the real Type VII U-Boat in Laboe (Kiel, Germany) twice, read "Das Boot" when I was 11,
I have played sub-sims for 35 years now starting with Silent Service on my C-64 and my room is cramped with books and model kits of all sorts of submarines.

So yes, I do know where most of the technical things are in a U-Boat...but this time, I actually OPERATED them all by myself. Being in my mid40s now it feels almost surreal to "touch" These handwheels, open and close vents, press These buttons etc. It also felt both strange and highly satisfying diving "Das Boot" for the first time while actually knowing where things are. When I surfaced, I noticed that I don´t have enough compressed air for another dive. I turned on the Diesel but didn´t get any compressed air from that. Then I thought: well, maybe I have to switch on the compressor manually? I did remember where the compressor is in the REAL U-Boat, so I WENT there and guess what: there it was.

Remember when People modded SH5, made new Skins etc.? And despite all their efforts, SH5 never looked quite right. The textures Always looked like plastic, artificial like a painting. Now WOLFPACK looks so crisps and realistic, I guess you guys took original photos from the real Thing. Awesome.

I know my enthusiasm might sound silly, but please keep in mind that I have been interested in submarines since I was a child.

So now I´m really looking forward to watching this sim develop. PLEASE give us a solo/ single player mode. I´ve always been a lone wolf, not a wolfpack type of guy ;-)
Old 03-17-19, 03:07 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS View Post
Hi guys,

4) Blowing the Ballast tanks takes about 70-80% of compressed air. I do know that the type VII hadn´t much compressed air compared to other Subs at that time, but I also know that they only needed a little bit to surface (they used the Diesel exhaust-pressure to blow out the remaining water) - reportedly they sometimes had to crash dive, surface, crash dive several times in a row, so using up so much compressed air cannot be realistic.
On the other hand, refilling compressed air with the compressor seems way to fast, it only takes 2 minutes or so.

)
I can help with Q4: When the ballast tanks are full, you will be able to change depth using the dive planes and forward motion. You want to wait until you are at PD or above to blow the tanks. If you are at 50m, the water pressure is greater than PD and thus takes a lot more air to move the water out of the tanks.

Yes, the devs did model water pressure on the hull.
Old 03-18-19, 06:01 AM   #3
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Thanks Neal.

Another Thing I really find urgent is the option to SAVE a running game. You know, there is family around, nagging wife, sick Kids, PC crashes, in short: real life, so saving a game is a MUST to me.