SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-20, 10:35 PM   #1
gurudennis
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Nuke 0.21 player name bug [SOLVED]

Exhibit 1:

Exhibit 2:

This is happening in both lobbies I played so far. Also, none of the people's Steam avatars are showing in the sub pen any more.

Bonus bug: the ping sound on the hydrophone is bugged (unnaturally short duration).

As a software developer myself, you have my full respect, but I think this is a pretty nasty regression. Was this build tested enough in multiplayer? Do you guys need help with testing?

Last edited by gurudennis; 03-06-20 at 11:13 PM.
gurudennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 09:56 AM   #2
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

I agree that setting a small player patch-testing unit would be very worthwhile, if only to release some of the dev's time in testing it as much themselves. Ideally a system could be set up for two installs of the game, for these testers, one with the proposed patch installed, and a normal one. On being provided with a private-link to an experimental patch, they can patch the relevant install, play and report issues privately. The other install would be for regular play.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 02:53 PM   #3
derprophet
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidd View Post
I agree that setting a small player patch-testing unit would be very worthwhile, if only to release some of the dev's time in testing it as much themselves. Ideally a system could be set up for two installs of the game, for these testers, one with the proposed patch installed, and a normal one. On being provided with a private-link to an experimental patch, they can patch the relevant install, play and report issues privately. The other install would be for regular play.
They most likely do. The official Discord has a tester role and you can give only certain users access to Steam betas in the properties of the game which is a much simpler solution than you propose as a private-link.
derprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 09:59 PM   #4
gurudennis
Mate

Downloads: 2

Thing is, they most likely don't do nearly enough of it. With small teams in my experience, testers are probably a very small circle of friends who aren't necessarily the most competent with the game mechanics nor with testing as a whole, and certainly aren't numerous enough to stress-test.

There needs to be a broader beta testing program, otherwise the playerbase as a whole becomes beta testers. This of course does little to build a reputation for quality. While every single update since launch has improved the game in some ways, every single one of them also introduced new and entirely avoidable bugs (some of them quite bad). This is not even to mention that some of the long standing, well known bugs, remain consistently unfixed - something a competent group of core testers would perhaps facilitate. Just yesterday, I once again broke the convoy AI on the first try using very well known steps that I had reported months ago...
gurudennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:41 PM   #5
derprophet
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudennis View Post
Thing is, they most likely don't do nearly enough of it. With small teams in my experience, testers are probably a very small circle of friends who aren't necessarily the most competent with the game mechanics nor with testing as a whole, and certainly aren't numerous enough to stress-test.

There needs to be a broader beta testing program, otherwise the playerbase as a whole becomes beta testers. This of course does little to build a reputation for quality. While every single update since launch has improved the game in some ways, every single one of them also introduced new and entirely avoidable bugs (some of them quite bad). This is not even to mention that some of the long standing, well known bugs, remain consistently unfixed - something a competent group of core testers would perhaps facilitate. Just yesterday, I once again broke the convoy AI on the first try using very well known steps that I had reported months ago...
I 100% agree with this but you have to realize the game is still in VERY early stages of early access, we are all really considered beta testers at this point but a lot of the bugs I've seen are easily avoidable and they need a broader audience of private testers and test for at least a few days before they release a patch.
derprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 01:58 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Noted, thanks! I will see about getting a patch for testing. We knew there were issues with people who are not Steam friend not getting IDed, so that's to be fixed.