SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-19, 08:31 PM   #1
UnqualifiedOfficer
Swabbie

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default What just happened?

Had an odd problem. I was heading back from the area under Surabaya with normal speed, on the surface, after bagging a Tennessee, when something odd happened. My sub was destroyed, and I don't know why. I was using TC ~3500 and was looking at my maps for a planned raid on Allied Harbors. Suddenly, I was thrust out of it, and I was in the Command room with the camera circling. The insides of the ship was at a weird angle, glass was breaking then t It said my sub was destroyed. I don't recall having my mouse anywhere near the depth control, so I don't think it was that, but heck anything could be possible. Was it a TC bug, or something else?
UnqualifiedOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 09:23 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnqualifiedOfficer View Post
Had an odd problem. I was heading back from the area under Surabaya with normal speed, on the surface, after bagging a Tennessee, when something odd happened. My sub was destroyed, and I don't know why. I was using TC ~3500 and was looking at my maps for a planned raid on Allied Harbors. Suddenly, I was thrust out of it, and I was in the Command room with the camera circling. The insides of the ship was at a weird angle, glass was breaking then t It said my sub was destroyed. I don't recall having my mouse anywhere near the depth control, so I don't think it was that, but heck anything could be possible. Was it a TC bug, or something else?

Could a number of different things, you might also have hit a mine.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 09:54 PM   #3
UnqualifiedOfficer
Swabbie

Wasn't mined on the .scr file, so I don't think its that.
Old 10-26-19, 10:33 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you're doing 2048x TC, you are "living" over 30 minutes of game time per second of real life. An airplane can drop a bomb on you six times in that time from, or you could be shelled by a shore emplacement, rammed by a ship, or shot at by a ship. The game generally does an OK job of dropping out of TC in good order, but not always, especially if there is a "hiccup" in the system just then as it tries to spawn the world around your submarine. If you don't see a minefield around your area as cdrsubron7 suggested - but minefields can be in several mis files in SH4, then I would suspect an airplane next. It's there, it has released its bomb, and it's gone before you drop out of high TC. Death spiral...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 07:04 AM   #5
UnqualifiedOfficer
Swabbie

Well, that seems to be it. Good thing I saved not too far behind. What took me by suprise however, was the fact that I was so close to Surabaya, And it was only the second Patrol, but hey, anything could happen in war.