SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-20, 03:08 PM   #61
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 0

Welcome to Subsim ...

The answer is yes.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 04:41 PM   #62
Aquelarrefox
Commander

Downloads: 159

After years I become sure this is the best of 3 fixes, even with the reload variation. Only the h.sie original fix is so bad that could be compared to stock (well his masterpiece should have errors as a persian tapiz).

But i find something I didn't notice until using weathermeter... Have winds between 6-9 m/s is harder, as a fast view, low winds is 30% chance, high winds 50% but I'm sure 6-9 m/s is no much than 20%.

I know game model way up to much than 15m/s . Since a time I believe the issue is linked to the higher value in winds and maybe a minor maximum should fix it in some point for playability (no for simulation).
Old 01-01-21, 01:14 PM   #63
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7
Icon14 Stiebler: Congratulations on a Job Well Done!

WOW!!

After being away for several years, I come back and discover that Stiebler has apparently solved the persistent weather bug(s) that have plagued SH3 since it was released. This is a fantastic effort and I am very pleased that the weather has finally been repaired. I only regret that I was unaware of the fix when it was released over four years ago!

Although I am very eager to install the mod to see how it actually works, are there any issues installing it before or after other mods (other than NYGM or other super mods, and Hsie's hard-code fixes)?

Again, great job Stiebler and thanks!

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 01:55 PM   #64
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtype Zero View Post
WOW!!

After being away for several years, I come back and discover that Stiebler has apparently solved the persistent weather bug(s) that have plagued SH3 since it was released. This is a fantastic effort and I am very pleased that the weather has finally been repaired. I only regret that I was unaware of the fix when it was released over four years ago!

Although I am very eager to install the mod to see how it actually works, are there any issues installing it before or after other mods (other than NYGM or other super mods, and Hsie's hard-code fixes)?

Be aware that if you use this EnvSim.act, you must deactivate Hsie bad weather fix...otherwise your Hsie Night Vision fix will not work (it’s mentioned in Stiebler documentation)
Not a big deal, as this EnvSim.act replace the bad weather fix code.

Perso, i prefer the EnvSim.act dated 2012 coupled with Hsie Bad Weather Fix (and Night Vision fix). Because you can adjust to your liking the Bad Weather fix duration in the Hsie.ini file.

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 02:38 PM   #65
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
WOW!!

No issues installing it after other mods though if you want to be sure it is used, install it after both H.sie's and Stiebler's patches as both of them have their own envsim file already.
Old 01-01-21, 03:10 PM   #66
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Be aware that if you use this EnvSim.act, you must deactivate Hsie bad weather fix...otherwise your Hsie Night Vision fix will not work (it’s mentioned in Stiebler documentation)

Perso, i prefer the EnvSim.act dated 2012 coupled with Hsie Bad Weather Fix (and Night Vision fix). Because you can adjust to your liking the Bad Weather fix duration in the Hsie.ini file.

FiFi, if you're meaning Stiebler's envsim10 file I see no mention of having to not use H.sie's bad weather fix because otherwise NV won't work in it's readme.
My understanding was one wouldn't use H.sie's bad weather fix if using Stiebler's envsim10 file was simply because you'd have two weather files trying to do the same thing then. Both files are coded for the NV fix iirc.
Is the info. you mention found elsewhere ?
Old 01-01-21, 05:14 PM   #67
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
FiFi, if you're meaning Stiebler's envsim10 file I see no mention of having to not use H.sie's bad weather fix because otherwise NV won't work in it's readme.
My understanding was one wouldn't use H.sie's bad weather fix if using Stiebler's envsim10 file was simply because you'd have two weather files trying to do the same thing then. Both files are coded for the NV fix iirc.
Is the info. you mention found elsewhere ?
EnvSim.act dated 2016 (i believe it’s the present one you call 10) do not work with Hsie Bad Weather fix without breaking Night Vision fix...we tried it in Onealex, and activating BWF, the NVF do not work. Deactivating BWF, the NVF works!
Old 01-01-21, 06:11 PM   #68
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
EnvSim.act dated 2016 (i believe it’s the present one you call 10) do not work with Hsie Bad Weather fix without breaking Night Vision fix...we tried it in Onealex, and activating BWF, the NVF do not work. Deactivating BWF, the NVF works!
Ah, might be something particular to Onealex mod then as I believe the BWF is a strictly weather related code.
Old 01-02-21, 10:16 PM   #69
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Quote:

I think I saw that somewhere either in the NYGM thread or in the documentation.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Ah, might be something particular to Onealex mod then as I believe the BWF is a strictly weather related code.
I bet the problem is that both the Night Vision Fix and the BWF replaces the entire EnvSim.act file instead of just individual variables within the file. Someone with more sophisticated hex editing skills than me could probably combine the two files into one that would work.

Looks like I will at some point test both Fifi's and John's approach and see which I like best, but before that, I have to do a lot more loading of other mods and testing to make sure I have a stable setup. So far so good!

Old 01-03-21, 01:46 AM   #70
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:

I bet the problem is that both the Night Vision Fix and the BWF replaces the entire EnvSim.act file instead of just individual variables within the file. Someone with more sophisticated hex editing skills than me could probably combine the two files into one that would work.

Looks like I will at some point test both Fifi's and John's approach and see which I like best, but before that, I have to do a lot more loading of other mods and testing to make sure I have a stable setup. So far so good!
Exactly, there are 2 approaches for weather changes:
- One with this EnvSim.act dated 2016 & no bad weather fix in Hsie (to keep working the night vision fix)
- One with the EnvSim.act dated 2012 & bad weather fix in Hsie

Both are fixing the long storms bug, and both have plenty weather changes…
But I find the first one too brutal in the changes, very often jumping from zero to 15ms and inverse, without transitions as in real.
I prefer the second one, giving some transitions (sometimes just of few hours) before big changes in sea state, simulating sea slowly raising or decreasing …
Furthermore second one can have longer medium sea states, that I prefer.

Also there are some more important settings to be done inside the scene.dat suitable for nice weather changes.

Old 01-03-21, 03:10 AM   #71
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:

The only two (that I know of) envsim files that will work with the NVF are H.sie's 2012 files included in his patch and Stiebler's envsim10 file version that is stated in it's read me to use with H.sie's patch.
To my understanding there is code in these files that enable the NVF to work per H.sie's method of having the NVF work (fog wall).
There is also an older envsim file in Stiebler's patch that probably is also coded for the NVF as it was made around the same time; I just have never tried it so don't know.
I've also not seen any documentation from either H.sie or Stiebler stating that using H.sie's BWF with Stiebler's file messes up the NVF but as I said earlier, there is no reason to select it anyway if using Stiebler's if for no other reason than a person would be using two weather fixes at the same time if so.
Here is a thread I dug up from long ago regarding the code of the files. Link is at post #6. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=247531

Last edited by John Pancoast; 01-03-21 at 03:53 AM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 10:39 AM   #72
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Back in 2008, I helped Stiebler in some of his earlier attempts to fix the weather (I believe I was the one who discovered the bug where loading a save resets the weather timer), but obviously a lot has changed since then!

Old 01-03-21, 10:54 AM   #73
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Back in 2008, I helped Stiebler in some of his earlier attempts to fix the weather (I believe I was the one who discovered the bug where loading a save resets the weather timer), but obviously a lot has changed since then!
Yes, I remember seeing you involved !
Old 03-13-21, 10:26 AM   #74
pegasusairandspace
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Default Location of file

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new here and I'm desperate to improve the weather because I'm getting the same clear conditions all the time. I click on the link on page 1 and all it does is bring me back where I started on page 1. Where is the working link that actually downloads it?

Thank you.
pegasusairandspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 10:32 AM   #75
pegasusairandspace
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Default problem solved

Hi again. This must be the shortest gap between messages I've ever sent but I've solved it. If you find it won't download, simply highlight the link and paste it into a new tab. That seems to do the trick. I'll test this at some point. Sounds promising. Heil und sieg, und fetter beute!
pegasusairandspace is offline   Reply With Quote