SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-07, 05:06 PM   #1
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
cant use TSD

thank you for that great tool, works fine on my rig. though, there is a prob while using the TSD calculation. Mobo always gives me a speed calculation of 0 knots. i have connected both nodes (or contacts), set up the time and pressed "Y". but it doesnt show me the correct speed...

thanks for help, greetz, Jaeger
Old 06-22-07, 09:51 PM   #2
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Aways set your "first" time to 00, it appears that the "default" time of "0" fails to work correctly
Old 06-23-07, 06:59 AM   #3
Jaeger
Chief

hello lurker,

your hint does not run. i have used 00 as my first time, and i have the same result. other hints for this?

Thanks, JAeger
Old 06-23-07, 08:54 AM   #4
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
hello lurker,

your hint does not run. i have used 00 as my first time, and i have the same result. other hints for this?

Thanks, JAeger
What's your range scale in the lower left corner? The only way I can recreate your problem is if the range scale is set to 1yd
Old 06-23-07, 08:58 AM   #5
Jaeger
Chief

1000 yards to 50 pixel, thats the default value. perhaps i made mistakes while installing the mobo. before running the mobo.exe i tried to execute the mobo application manifest. there, he gave me an error (connection problems). after trying this, i used the correct one, which has an icon, too. i have reinstalled framework 2.0, nothing happend.

i tried to delete the mobo directory, and installed it a second time. nothing changed, same prob as before.

edit: i tried to change the scale unit from yard to km, nm etc. result is, that it only gives me a speed, when using nm. all the other scale units show 0 knots

Last edited by Jaeger; 06-23-07 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-23-07, 11:39 AM   #6
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

go to "C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Local Settings\Application Data\XL-Logic.com\" and remove what ever is in that directory, then rerun the MoBo.exe
Old 06-23-07, 06:18 PM   #7
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Very bizarre... I can't recreate it. :hmm:

Make sure your directory has only the following 6 files:

MoBo.application
MoBo.exe
MoBo.exe.config
MoBo.exe.manifest
MoBo.pdb
MoBo.xml

I can tell you it has nothing to do with the .Net Framework 2.0 so don't bother reinstalling that again (you're using the 2.0 framework and not one of the other 1.x versions right?) There isn't really an "installation" process to follow with MoBo, you just unzip it to it's own directory and run the MoBo.exe or create a shortcut to it.

To uninstall it, delete the directory... to reinstall unzip again.

On a side note, there should also be no problem with entering a time as a single zero "0".

I'm sure we'll figure it out...
Old 06-23-07, 06:22 PM   #8
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Let's back up a minute...

First, try displaying distance, bearing, and AoB, on the line... are you getting accurate readings with those?
Old 06-24-07, 04:27 AM   #9
Jaeger
Chief

thanks for your notice. i am temporally not at home (am on another pc now), so i can try it not until evening. but i am sure not to have other files in the mobo directory. and yes, i am using framework 2.0 (i have reinstalled 2.0 yesterday). i know, that i have only to unzip it (i chosed the word "to install" because i couldnt find the word "unzip" in a rush (now i am using a distionary )

and i yes, i can see correct bearings (using the "b" button), correct AOB circle and so on. only the speed calc is zero all the time. i think there are probs with the scale. i can see a speed calc while using "nm" as unit...

Lets wait for tonight...

edit: as i have said before, i am sitting at another pc at the moment. i installed framework 2.0 and unzipped mobo. then the first thing i did, was placing my own ship and two nodes in the map. i connected both nodes by a line and setted a time to each node. then i activated the TSD by pressing "y" while holding the cursor on the second node. result is the same: zero knots! i think that it is an operating error, caused by me...

edit2: and there is no folder called C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Local Settings\Application Data\XL-Logic.com\ at this pc, where i could delete anything...
Old 06-24-07, 08:32 AM   #10
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Alright, let's not focus on the TSD "Y" button. Apparently it's working fine; in your case it's able to determine the elapsed time. I suspect your scale and distance calculations are not working properly for some reason. I think if we fix the distance calculation we'll also solve your TSD problem.

With default scale settings at 1000 yds to 50 pixels, try to duplicate the following:

Add a single node, connect to OwnShip, display B-D-A for the line, position at 270° and 5000 yards.

Add two nodes, connect them, display "Scale" for the line, measure distance between OwnShip and connected node.

I want to narrow down your problem to see whether it has something to do with: screen resolution, the distance calculation, or language translation issues for a non-English PC related to character codes and English alphabet.
Old 06-24-07, 09:08 AM   #11
Jaeger
Chief

here is the result, seems that everything runs correct...

Old 06-24-07, 01:51 PM   #12
Jaeger
Chief

i think the prob is part of the scale unit. i made a screenshot while using nm as scale unit.

when switching back to yard, the speed becomes zero...

Old 06-24-07, 07:46 PM   #13
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Ah, I see you have comma's as decimal placeholders.

In your windows control panel...

Select: "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options"
Select: "Change the format of numbers, dates, and times"

...and tell me please which country you have selected.
Old 06-24-07, 08:27 PM   #14
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

I think I have your problem solved now. :hmm:

I believe it was an international number format issue. Seeing your screen print with the comma as a decimal tipped me off.

I reviewed the code and noticed the logic for the TSD was based on a text string as opposed to a numeric double. (I should know better ) I corrected the code so the comma decimal seperator should no longer trip up the TSD calc.

What was happening in your case was that some decimal factors in string format were not being interpretted properly when the comma was used as a decimal seperator. It caused the values to be interpretted as strings which equated to zero... and the resulting multiplication by zero was always yielding zero speed. The only reason NM worked was because it's the only mult factor that is the whole number 1; in which case, no comma decimal error.

I re-uploaded the MoBo file with the tweak and now it should work for you. That was a bug in the program... nice catch!

Please re-download and try the corrected version...
Old 06-25-07, 02:04 AM   #15
Alyebard
Medic

Downloads: 5

I had the same problem, but i assumed that i was doing something brong. And was a bug with the "coma". My PC also uses coma as a decimal separator. :rotfl:

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse
Navegar 'es necessari. Viure no