SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-07, 12:03 PM   #1
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Matching scale seems difficult

When I paste a nav map view into MoBo, getting the scale to agree is step 1. Unfortunately it seems to be a very time consuming trial and terror process of intuitively tweaking numbers until a measured distance agrees. That's a major stumbling block for me. Situations I would normally load up and use MoBo for, I say the target may switch course in five minutes and I have to start over.

How about having the option to pick the scale based on the numbers that appear on the distance bar in the upper left corner of the SH4 or SH3 nav map? Perhaps it could also be hooked to other games that use binned zoom factors as well. Then it would be a simple matter of picking the correct scale off a drop-down menu.

Once the scales are rectified MoBo is excellent! I'm still learning and I love the tool.
Old 08-09-07, 08:13 PM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
When I paste a nav map view into MoBo, getting the scale to agree is step 1. Unfortunately it seems to be a very time consuming trial and terror process of intuitively tweaking numbers until a measured distance agrees. That's a major stumbling block for me. Situations I would normally load up and use MoBo for, I say the target may switch course in five minutes and I have to start over.

How about having the option to pick the scale based on the numbers that appear on the distance bar in the upper left corner of the SH4 or SH3 nav map? Perhaps it could also be hooked to other games that use binned zoom factors as well. Then it would be a simple matter of picking the correct scale off a drop-down menu.

Once the scales are rectified MoBo is excellent! I'm still learning and I love the tool.
Not sure what you mean... adjusting scale is something you should have to do like once... and then never mess with it again. And it takes all of 5 seconds.

All you have to do is figure out how many pixels equates to your in-game scale bar. There's a specific tool in MoBo designed for that and directions on how to use it in the manual (see page 20). What your asking for is the ability to calibrate MoBo to the map scale... and that's exactly the way I designed it.

Once you figure out the scale is, lets say 243 pixels, then you just set the pixels in MoBo to 243. Now you happen to load a new map scale... say max distance on the scale is 13km. All you do is set 13km to 243 pixels (this is exactly what you're asking for). If you zoom on your map to 5000m and load that image, then you change MoBo to 5000m to 243 pixels. Once you know the pixel distance of the in-game scale you shouldn't have to keep remeasuring it, they don't usually change. Just enter the corresponding max value for the scale: 5000m. It's really very simple.

All you should have to do is enter the max map scale for different in-game map scales. I think I have mine set at 243 or 249 pixels for SH3, and since MoBo remembers those settings, they come up automatically the next time you load MoBo.

Last edited by XLjedi; 08-09-07 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 08:26 PM   #3
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Something else to keep in mind...

Accurate map scale is only an issue for TSD calculations. If you're just trying to work out an intercept angle, distance is not important.

Do me a favor and re-read pages 20-22 of the MoBo documentation and let me know if it makes sense. Setting scale should be something really simple.

Last edited by XLjedi; 08-09-07 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 09:54 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default RTFM huh?

Whoda thought?!!! Shouldn't have wasted your time. Stupidity strikes in five seconds!!!! Love MoBo though. Just have to spend some serious time with it.