SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-11, 10:51 PM   #61
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ahhh okay, I may just pick up this mod then when its fully released, thank you FK!
Old 05-03-11, 12:54 AM   #62
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Does this mod patch only the sh3.exe file?

So, if I get CTDs, can I go back with a backup sh3.exe?

I have a sh3.exe file with Starforce modded to no Starforce one
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 03:02 AM   #63
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Robin40:
Quote:
Does this mod patch only the sh3.exe file?
So, if I get CTDs, can I go back with a backup sh3.exe?
Almost yes to the first question: it also changes SH3Sim.act and camerabehavior.act (also envsim.act, but that has nothing to do with SH3.exe, cures the famous weather problems in Sh3, and is so useful that you should leave the new version in place).
Yes to the second question. It is not necessary to restore the original SH3Sim.act and camerabehavior.act, but you can do so if it makes you feel happier.

The mod is completely stable - I have used it for a full career with NYGM, but that means it will work with any other supermod too.

In fact, it is difficult to understand how this mod can cause CTDs. There are only two possibilities - either the patch kit functioned correctly, to provide you with a *stable* new version of SH3.exe. Or it could not patch the original SH3.exe, in which case no changes were made to it at all. If you see any CTDs, they must have another cause. [Edit: However, if you are using the NYGM supermod, see my signature below, you must have the 'Realistic Repairs' option toggled OFF. Use the Options Selector provided with the patch kit.]

H.sie is currently in the process of consolidating this patch into his previous work, see the last pages of this thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225

However, the current H.sie version (V15F) lacks my additions at this time. They will be incorporated shortly.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 09:45 AM   #64
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

I have to say, I thought that using this was going to be a real headache and take hours to figure out, because it all seemed so complicated and there was SO much to take in with regard to the changes and new options involved.

But the actual process, once I downloaded and unzipped the file, was pretty painless. I just read the readme and followed the instructions, it only took a couple of seconds to apply the patch and so far I've had no trouble with the revised sh3.exe.

What took me forever was deciding which options I wanted, and whether I wanted to make any changes to the .txt file for new 'congratulations' messages from BdU.

Oh and once you have your new sh3.exe, you can use JSGME to put it into the game (or take it out and restore the previous version) if you have problems. Just make a folder and call it 'Stiebler Hsie Patch' or whatever you like, put the new sh3.exe in it (not in any 'data' or other subfolder) and then drop the whole thing in your MODS folder. Enable with JSGME, it will overwrite your existing .exe file with the patched one. Disable, the patched one comes out, the previous one is restored.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 02:47 PM   #65
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162

Thx buddies

unfortunately I get a checksum error

I have a Starforce sh3 version, which I modded to a no Starforce one

ooppssss...sorry...already informed about it in a previous post
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 03:01 PM   #66
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I have to say, I thought that using this was going to be a real headache and take hours to figure out, because it all seemed so complicated and there was SO much to take in with regard to the changes and new options involved.

But the actual process, once I downloaded and unzipped the file, was pretty painless. I just read the readme and followed the instructions, it only took a couple of seconds to apply the patch and so far I've had no trouble with the revised sh3.exe.

What took me forever was deciding which options I wanted, and whether I wanted to make any changes to the .txt file for new 'congratulations' messages from BdU.

Oh and once you have your new sh3.exe, you can use JSGME to put it into the game (or take it out and restore the previous version) if you have problems. Just make a folder and call it 'Stiebler Hsie Patch' or whatever you like, put the new sh3.exe in it (not in any 'data' or other subfolder) and then drop the whole thing in your MODS folder. Enable with JSGME, it will overwrite your existing .exe file with the patched one. Disable, the patched one comes out, the previous one is restored.
I dont get what im doing wrong here... I created a new folder, unzipped all of the patches to the folder. Copied my original SH3.exe and put it into that folder. Tried to run patch. But it was unable to work... I did all this before i modded my game. Can i still try it when i dock?? Or do i need it completely unmodded?
Old 05-03-11, 03:29 PM   #67
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
I dont get what im doing wrong here... I created a new folder, unzipped all of the patches to the folder. Copied my original SH3.exe and put it into that folder. Tried to run patch. But it was unable to work... I did all this before i modded my game. Can i still try it when i dock?? Or do i need it completely unmodded?
I don't know, unless you've done something to the .exe file itself, modding the game typically doesn't affect the sh3.exe file AFAIK... unless you're talking about applying the standalone 4GB patch to it, or maybe dealing with Starforce stuff? About which I know nothing.

I didn't use the sh3.exe from any of my "playable" installs, I used the one in the original game folder that I keep strictly for file reference and copying purposes. So it was a very clean file, never even run much less patched or modded in some way. And from the post-Starforce era, thank goodness.
Old 05-03-11, 04:17 PM   #68
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
@Robin40:
Almost yes to the first question: it also changes SH3Sim.act and camerabehavior.act (also envsim.act, but that has nothing to do with SH3.exe, cures the famous weather problems in Sh3, and is so useful that you should leave the new version in place).
Okay, I must've missed this part (so much for me not being confused about the process ). I know I got versions of those two files in the download but I didn't swap them with the ones already in my game, now I'm assuming I need to do that in order to get all the desired effects?

Would those effects be anything more than the fix for the weather and the blurring of the 'scope at higher than optimal speeds?
Old 05-03-11, 09:40 PM   #69
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

wow thats awesome to know, wish I Would have known before I just copied over my old exe. at least Ive got the backup \
Old 05-03-11, 10:18 PM   #70
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Default Anti-Virus

I can successfully patch SH3.exe but my Anti-Virus Program (Avira) Quarantines the patched file preventing me from using it.

Avira reports HEUR/Malware suspicious code (AHeAD Heuristic special detection)

Any suggestions?

Thank You!

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 10:25 PM   #71
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Is there some kind of Exceptions list in the AV program that you can add the file too, so the AV just ignores it?

Most programs I've used have a way of telling them to ignore certain files that you already know are safe.
Old 05-04-11, 12:09 AM   #72
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Is there some kind of Exceptions list in the AV program that you can add the file too, so the AV just ignores it?
I don't have the newest version, but it used to be:

Configuration -> Expert Mode -> Scanner -> Scan -> Exception

You can also add it under:

Guard -> Scan -> Exception

Should be the same for the free version as well.

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 06:01 AM   #73
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

I added SH3.exe to all exceptions lists I could find but it is still being snagged by Anti-Virus.

MS Anit-Malware
MS Security Suite
Avira Premium Edition

-=[EDIT]=-
I had the Scan set to intense. I lowered it one level and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish In The Water View Post
I don't have the newest version, but it used to be:

Configuration -> Expert Mode -> Scanner -> Scan -> Exception

You can also add it under:

Guard -> Scan -> Exception

Should be the same for the free version as well.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 06:16 AM   #74
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
-=[EDIT]=-
I had the Scan set to intense. I lowered it one level and it worked.
Glad it's working, and good hunting!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 07:39 AM   #75
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Thanks for all the useful information, everyone, and especially to Frau Kaleun.

@Salvoradeno:
It makes no difference at all to patching SH3.exe however many mods you may or may not have installed.

Just copy your SH3.exe into a separate folder and apply the patch kit, following the instructions provided (place patchkit and *copy* of SH3.exe into the same temporary folder).

If the patchkit says it has worked, then use the Options Selector (part of the patch kit) to decide which options you want active. If you use NYGM you must toggle OFF the realistic repairs option. Then copy the patched SH3.exe into your main SilentHunteriii folder. Or, much better, create a separate folder for the patched SH3.exe, then install it with JSGME as Frau Kaleun described above.

If the patchkit advises you that the patch has failed, then it has found a false checksum value. In other words you have a variant of SH3.exe which cannot be patched because it is non-standard for some reason. Perhaps it has Starforce present, perhaps it was downloaded from Steam, perhaps some other irregular source. In particular, any copy of SH3.exe which you have already successfully patched will NOT be accepted by the patch-kit. You must start with a clean version of commercial SH3.exe with patch 1.4b pre-added by the manufacturer and without any copy protection. In the event of any of these failures, you need to obtain a version of SH3.exe which lacks these problems. Any modern copy (purchased 2008 or later) of Ubisoft's SH3.exe in a DVD wrapping should be acceptable to the patch kit.

However, I know that H.se has been attempting to provide a patch-kit suitable for an extended set of versions of SH3.exe, and this may be the final route we take.

It is very important to understand that the patchkit places modified code into exact places of the SH3.exe file. If the file is non-standard, the patch-code will go into the wrong places with uncertain results - a euphemism for a probable CTD (or worse). That is why we have to be so careful with the check-sums to verify that you have the correct version of SH3.exe for patching.

Stiebler.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote