SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-11, 02:57 PM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

My NSWP (new system welcome package ) has arrived today, it looks like this:

Once the new rig is here, no SBP for me in the following weeks, I assume.

Now I just need a new chess program, but I am not sure that I like these new menus by Microsoft, what are they called in English? Ribbon menus? Also, I do not like the trend with Chessbase to now have two engine versions (single versus multiple CPUs, the latter costing twice the money, almpost 100 Euros), and selling the opening book separate: another 30 Euros. Maybe I just stay with the old software I have. If it becomes something new, it most likely will be the new Hiarcs or Rybka. But only if I do not need to invest into a new wheel.

Any recommendations for a good but not too expensive FFB wheel? The G27 is not acceptable for me (pricing). Something in the 90-150 euro range, please. Not many PC wheels seem to be around anymore, but some PS3-wheels that claim compatability with PC via new drivers. Example wopuld be the Logitech FF GT. Good one? Alternatives?

Last edited by Skybird; 03-01-11 at 03:11 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 07:35 PM   #47
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I ordered a system today, it will be built from individual components, they just wait for delivery of the new revision of the board I ordered. It was the shop I used to go to since years, it's good people in the knowledge of their stuff, and I have a good talking wire to them. After one hour, we agreed the make the following exchange in 7-10 days:

I give them 810 Euros and they give me

i5-2500 4x3.33 (costs the same like an i5 661 2x3.33)
Asus P8H67 3rd
8 GB DDR
1TB HD
GTX460 1GB
DVD burner
Chieftec tower + 750W Nitrox
add. fan
Windows 7 Home Prem 64 Bit

Good deal or not?!

Oh, and it is USB 3.0.

In this day and age having a computer with only 1 hard disk is incomprehensibile. You should have bought 2 hard drives and put them in raid 1. At least if one of them goes kaput you still have your system going strong and can later add a new disk and mirror automatically.
In this way there is no need to backup your data on an external hard drive.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 03:37 AM   #48
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Whoops ArmA 2 Combined Operation! Make sure to try ACE 2!!! Won't regret it a bit!

Shogun 2 Total war is not bad either if it's your thing. Probably not because sim is your thing and Total War is not a sim.
Ext HDD is much safer for keeping backups as it's not always connected imo!
Old 03-02-11, 07:35 AM   #49
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Ext HDD is much safer for keeping backups as it's not always connected imo!
Right that.

However, there is a small chance a second internal drive will be added later in case I find that I have compatabolity issues with FS9 or GTR2. The second drive then becomes an XP boot. If there is no need for a separate XP boot, I do not need a second itnernal drive. That simple! To have a second drive just because it is en vogue, is no argument for me.
Old 03-02-11, 07:40 AM   #50
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Right that.

However, there is a small chance a second internal drive will be added later in case I find that I have compatabolity issues with FS9 or GTR2. The second drive then becomes an XP boot. If there is no need for a separate XP boot, I do not need a second itnernal drive. That simple! To have a second drive just because it is en vogue, is no argument for me.

Then you have misunderstood what raid 1 is about. Its not about having a backup, its about redunduncy so that when one of the hard drives fails you can still use your computer. With only 1 hard drive, if it fails you're going to be without a computer even if you have a backup on an external disk.
Old 03-02-11, 07:46 AM   #51
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Then you have misunderstood what raid 1 is about. Its not about having a backup, its about redunduncy so that when one of the hard drives fails you can still use your computer. With only 1 hard drive, if it fails you're going to be without a computer even if you have a backup on an external disk.
Rescue or windows disc after having mounted a new drive. Indeed the volume image function of W7 does exactly that - I have tried it out just three days ago on the W7 laptop of a friend of my parents. First it created an image to an external HD, then it burnt a rescue disk.
Old 03-02-11, 08:03 AM   #52
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Rescue or windows disc after having mounted a new drive. Indeed the volume image function of W7 does exactly that - I have tried it out just three days ago on the W7 laptop of a friend of my parents. First it created an image to an external HD, then it burnt a rescue disk.

Exactly. And from the moment the hard drive fails to the moment you install a new fresh drive your computer is down. See, with a raid 1 you wouldn't have to take down your pc, just take out the failing drive and put in a new one, all the while your pc is still working. No downtime.

And if you're worried that raid 1 doesn't work with xp don't. I have xp, and its installed in a raid 1 configuration with multiple partitions. I've had it since 2006, and in fact 1 year ago one of the drives went bad. No problem I still continued to use the computer while the new drive arrived. And then took out the failed drive and installed the new one. The system continued working and remade the raid 1 in the bakground automatically.

Believe me motherboards supporting raid 1 (even without a dedicated hardware controller) is one of those thing that make computing less stressing in case something goes bad. Not using this feature, with drives that cost pennies these days is just a bad tactic.
Old 03-02-11, 08:34 AM   #53
Skybird
Soaring

The issue I rate as more liekly than hardware failure, is malware. and to have both drives permanently connected to the systems meas that if you detect a malware on one drive,m you cnanot trust the other any more.

And there you are in need to copy back a backup from an external source with an image, and manually copy all changed datafiles since the image was created.

I don'T know how fast Windows 7 will slow down over weeks and months (during booting), but with my old XP system i made it a habit to make a total cleanup and do a fresh install once a year. A RAID 1 does not store the original, fresh state of the installation on the day you built it, but accumulates all faults and changes and complications and slowdowns that have been stockpiled since then.
Old 03-04-11, 09:33 AM   #54
Skybird
Soaring

Got a phone call from that shop just a minute ago.

Ich bin dann mal weg...

Old 03-05-11, 02:04 PM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

I'm back with a wide big grin on my face! It's fast, it's quiet, it looks good. And by mistake they gave me a Win7 Professional instead of the ordered Home Premium - but billed me for the latter.

I was lucky that they had ordered new boards with the new non-defective intel chips already a long time ago - else, so I learned today, i would have needed to wait until late April, or even May. That recall must have been a big and very costly mess for Intel.
Old 03-05-11, 04:45 PM   #56
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

You've got those B3 huh.

7 Professional arrrgh why lie is so unfair.
Old 03-05-11, 05:38 PM   #57
Skybird
Soaring

Less than 5 minutes after I typed about grining face and fast system - the whole new shine ended abruptly and brought me back to harsh life's reality.

System suddenly rebooted automaticall into a startup repair procedure, found some missing files, repaired them, rebooted again, scanned again, then had a system restore point activated from DOS screen, rebooted a third time and then produced errorcodes over startup repair procedures being offline, some number stuff, then auto failover and corrupted files, and finally a HD cycling through the latter steps over and over again. All the time booting started with "scanning devices, no device found!", but for six hours the system ran nevertheless. Ventilators are very qiet, so is the PSU, just the HD was amazingly loud.

I think it is either the HD, or some controller on the mainboard. Typoing this from my old system again. I already have had options tweaking and installing done worth 6-7 hours.

oh, I already had that...

Gloomy mood, great disappointment - and no glorious new flyight simming over here. But a long sunday ahead instead.

Will use the opportunity to get another HD installed anyway. It was the only component I left to their choice, and they gave me a Hitachi with 16 cache, while all others they have have 32 cache - and down to one Euzro for exactly the saqme price (for a 1 TB drive). Want that WD they have instead.

If you have any theory what it could be, let me know.
Old 03-05-11, 05:40 PM   #58
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
You've got those B3 huh.
Yes, an Asus P8H67-B3. If it is the mainboard and not the drive, then I am screwed. All 30 boards they got Friday morning, were already out of stock after just one and a half day. With my money gone I then can wait a very long time.
Old 03-05-11, 06:04 PM   #59
Skybird
Soaring

I don'T believe it, the web is full of people hjaving the very same problem like I have:

Quote:
First, the screen showed loading files(which i never seen before). Second, The screen showed my startup repair. While it was searching for the problems, Last, it said that it "Startup Repair cannot repair the computer automatically. And ive looked at the problem details:

Problem event name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: -1
Problem Signature 05:AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 28
Problem Signature 07: Corrupt Registry
Some were given answers that they have changed their hardware. But I haven't changed hardware - the whole combo is brandnew...?!
Old 03-05-11, 08:21 PM   #60
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

try this skybird:
plug the new drive into the old system
test the drive

or plug the old drive into the new system