Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 05-19-10, 05:50 AM   #46
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default SF Problems

Kc; sorry to hear about your family problems! What a streak of badluck!!!!Did you break a mirror????? Sorry about your cat too I have a female cat of my own who 's also 9!!!!

And Sf is giving you grief too!!!! Unbelievable. I can't do anything about your wife and son except my best wishes for a speedy recovery .AS for SF here's what I can tell you:

if I remember well your computer has low specs? Refrsh my memory please!!! The minimum specs for the game to start are minimum 3 gigahertz processor speed,( my own is only 2 gigs through and the game runs fine because I have 4 gbs of RAM, and a solid graphic cards with minimum 512 dedicated and double(1028) shared) 1.5 gbs of RAM( although this is rather limited in my opinion), a graphic card with minimum 256 mbs dedicated( they say 128 but I frankly doubt that the game would run properly.I tried on one of my latops with such a cards and the fps were in the order of 4 to 5 ) and at least 3 ggbs of free hard disk space.

However the reason for the game to crash with such a message might be that there's something missing in your files or you haven't got Direct X 9c installed on your pc.Make sure you have it and that you have that Dir. 9C installed or that your sound drivers are also up-to-date.

If neither of the above is your problem then I suggest that you re-install the game into the C: drive making sure you have removed all the files form the previous instal.

Below in bold letters I have pasted what I have from my own SF installation manual.This may help you find out what the problem is:Cheers and better luck!!!!

Recommended:
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200\Intel Pentium D 3GHz
Memory RAM 1,5 Gb
Video ATI Radeon x1600\nVidia GeForce 7600 256Mb
Operational system Windows XP SP2

ATTENTION!
- If you are having problems installing the game or the game won't start (Windows 2000 or Windows XP Service Pack 1), it is necessary to install an updated version of vcredist_x86.exe and Microsoft .NET Framwork 2.0 (dotnetfx.exe), which can be found on the game's installation DVD in a folder called REDIST. It is also recommended to install DirectX 9.0c, which can be found inside the REDIST folder as well.
- The game dos not work on nVidia GeForce FX video cards.
- The game requires a CPU with SSE instructions.
- The game my not work correctly if the CPU or the video card are overclocked.

2 Installation

Install DirectX 9.0c if it is not installed. Make sure to have the latest drivers for your ATI or nVidia video card installed. Run setup.exe and follow the installation instructions. You can start Steel Fury from the menu under Start\Programs\Lighthouse Interactive after installation is complete.

3 Controls

The "Default" control layout is specified in a file called user_controls.pdf. To change controls setting to your likings, choose Options\Controls from within the game.

4 Compatibility

The Game was tested on following CPUs:
- Intel Pentium IV 2,4GHz
- Intel Pentium IV 3GHz
- Intel Pentium D 3GHz
- AMD Athlon 2500 (Barton)
- AMD Athlon 64 3000
- AMD Athlon 64 3200
- AMD Athlon X2 4200

The Game was tested on following video cards:
- nVidia GeForce 6600
- nVidia GeForce 6800LE
- nVidia GeForce 6800
- nVidia GeForce 7600GS
- nVidia GeForce 7600GT
- nVidia GeForce 8800GTS
- ATI Radeon 9550

- ATI Radeon 9600
- ATI Radeon X600
- ATI Radeon X800
- ATI Radeon X1600

5 Mission Editor

The mission editor requires administrator rights to work. For the creation of height maps it is recommended to use a graphics editor that allows you to edit and save files as TGA. Gimp, a free graphics editor, allows you to work with TGA files. Get Gimp from www.gimp.org. It is desirable to save TGA files without compression (Note: Gimp saves compressed TGA files by default).

6 Known Issues

1) With single-core Intel CPUs, the game works about 30% slower than with equivalent AMD processors.
2) For the game to function correctly, it is desirable to have more than 768Mb system memory and 256Mb video memory.
3) The game does not work on nVidia GeForce FX cards!
4) Do not enable anti-aliasing within the video card's settings, as they do not affect the quality of the displayed graphics, but slow down the game considerably and could lead to visual artifacts on some video cards.
5) For the following ATI video cards, accelerated output (instancing) can be enabled: Radeon 9500, 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800.
6) ATI Radeon 9600 video cards might display artifacts connected with some parts of the landscape "dropping out". As a workaround, pause the game, switch to the Desktop (Alt+TAB), start the DOS command line interface (Start > Run Program > type 'cmd' and hit Enter). After the DOS screen is open, press Alt+Enter and the screen resolution changes. Press Alt+Enter a few times, then close the DOS console again. Return to the game and continue playing.
7) ATI Radeon 9600 video cards might display a black or green screen after the game has loaded. As workaround, press F12 (the screenshot key) - this will bring the screen back to live. Continue playing.
8) For increased game performance, turn off active anti-virus software before you start playing.
9) The game requires SSE CPU instructions
10) The game might not work correctly or freeze if the CPU or video card is overclocked.
11) If the game locks-up or reboots the PC after a while, try to disable sound hardware acceleration, high quality sound or disable the sound completely. Also, try to update your sound card driver.
12) If the game was installed on Windows XP Service Pack 1, it is necessary to upgrade to Service Pack 2, or, enable Windows 95 Compatibility Mode for the game application and the game installer. In addition, it is required to install .NET Framework 2.0 as well.
13) Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 might cause the game to crash to the Desktop. It is recommended to update your sound card's drivers with the SB LiveDriveUni-Pack.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 10:55 AM   #47
KnightsCross
Bosun

G'Day, thank you for your kind words
I will go check directX9 i thought it was installed with the game and the other things you have mentioned
I'm a bit drain dead at the moment due to the last few days, my capabilities can't keep up with my desires

here are my cp specs

Windows XP
Home edition
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon(tm)
1.15GHz,512MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Audio Codecs
Vidio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Vidio Capure Devices
Virtual Memory 766MB Recommended, 1536MB Allocated
C drive has 149GB ,30GB Free

Tanks Again
Darren
Old 05-19-10, 12:27 PM   #48
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

Quite a bad run of luck there KnightsCross. Hope your Wife and Son both recover and everything works out fine.
Sorry to hear about the cat,being a cat lover myself I know it's hard.

I don't think your video card meets the minimum spec.
On my copy of Steel Fury the minimum spec card is listed as a Nvidia 6600.

I had one of those FX5200's when they first came out,I got rid of it pretty quick.
According to Wiki,it is only compatible up to Direct X 9.0b,so that may be the problem.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 02:13 PM   #49
KnightsCross
Bosun

Thank you Gents
Looks like at the least I will need a new video card and then, start from there on SFK1942
well I will have to go mount up on a Tiger in TvsT

I can't believe that the night before my cat died I spent a couple of hours going through your subsim cat thread showing my Wife every cat !
You have or in some cases including myself, had some great cats, I will post a pick soon
Thanks Puss 4da good times, rip.
Old 05-19-10, 03:00 PM   #50
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

Where else would you find a thread about cats but on a tank sim forum?
We like to go off-topic
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 01:07 AM   #51
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Graphic Cats

KC it does indeed look like you'll need a new graphic card as your is on the list of those that don't work for SF.

There's a price war between ATI Radeon and Nvidia these days and as a result you can get high end gcs for a good price.I would suggest an ATI Radeon 3850(the one I have).It's considered to be in the 2 out of 6 level of quality/specs and according to the reports I have read one of the best if not the best in terms of quality/price.It gives you 512 mb dedicated , 1024 gbs shared and up to 1368 gbs video memory available when no there are applications are running.

It's the one I have on my laptop and I am very happy with it. But you'll need to upgrade your processor otherwise it will be money wasted.Like giving your car anew n body and suspension and keeping the same old underperforming engine under the hood.Aim for 2.4 ghtz or more depending on your budget.

If you have more money available and want soemthing better you can go for the ATI 4870 which is currently the best (2 gbs dedicated).Otherwerwise Nvidia has competing models but slightly pricier.

Expect to pay anything between $ 120 to $ 200 and above(US dollars).

Cheers.

Since we all love Tigers playing TvsT I guess loving felines is a prerequisite to become a ZW club member. ....

Cheerio
Old 05-20-10, 10:45 AM   #52
morttheslayer
Soundman

Default Hi KC sympathise with your problems

Sorry to hear about your troubles KC. Its not altogether helpful to say; but we all get these setbacks in our turn, however we sincerely sympathise with you.
Also had cats and they were all characters - much missed.
On top of all that your video card (the most expendable thing at the moment!!!) continues to function.
Don't think you wasted your cash on SF though it will be usable for a long while yet, my version runs on WinXP (32 bit) and Win7 64 bit so its flexible and won't age overnight. At worst it can wait until you get upgraded but I would urge you to download a couple of updates/patches (minimum the PzIV sight reticle and the widescreen mod/patch) to make sure you have all you need as and when.
All the Best Mort
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 11:36 PM   #53
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default SF

I concur with Morty. Money spent on Steel Fury is money well spent. That sim with all the mods passed and future is very much alive and is rejuvenated. The Russian modders also seem determined from their chat on the Avia,Sukhoi forum to make some sort of Kursk mod as well.They have asked for maps of the Kursk area and I wouldn't be surpised if they come up with some new mod based on that.

Anyway including user-made missions( mine excluded), single missions and with all 4 Steel Panzer mods plus the Tiger 1.0, the Panther-Hetzer and Stug IIIF mods you have easily right now you have over 200 different missions( many are repeat simply with different tank models).Once you getb the hnag of the mission editor which fairly easy to use you can add your own and once all new tanks models are included in the new Steel Panzer 1.5 mod then you'll the choice between 60 to 70 different tanks and armoured vehicles and over a dozen guns types( artillery and AT).

Like Panzer Elite but more modern.

Not that you should not get interested in TsvT with ZeeWolf's mods and missions. On the contrary ,I think both SIms are great in their own fashion and complement each other.

Re price of graphic cards I was pessimistic you can get a good one for $ 80 these days but don't go beloew 512 mb dedicated. preferably go for minimum 896 dedicated or more.

Cheers
Old 05-22-10, 06:54 AM   #54
KnightsCross
Bosun

G'Day Gents
Wow what a week,
Sorry I haven't been around much, got my Son home Thursday he's recovering well, then Friday had to rush back for my Dad who needs another stint put in, probably early in the week. My Wife still has a huge bump on her head but her head ache is finally going ouch
Thank you all,
For you kind words and support. Also for you advice on upgrades etc, I will be able to think about it now and I will reread your posts so I'm sure to take it in
Cheers

Darren
KnightsCross
Old 05-22-10, 12:46 PM   #55
KnightsCross
Bosun

Is this any good for our games ? I can get 1 for $40
Tanks
Darren
I'm watching some others as well

XFX RADEON HD 4350 512MB GDDR2 PCI-Express Video Card
ATI Radeon™ HD 4350 Home Theater PC Enthusiasts: Step Forward.

If full-speed Blu-Ray playback and HDMI Audio 7.1 capabilities are your thing, then the XFX ATI Radeon HD4350 is your card. Offering 8GB of memory bandwidth paired with DDR2 memory, this low-profile card fits in almost any case or motherboard designed to have a PCI Express video card in it.
KEY FEATURES

• Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
• Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT)
• 80 Stream Processing Units
• ATI PowerPlay™ Technology
• DirectX 10.1 Support
• Low Profile Compatible
• HDCP Capable
• ATI Hypermemory
• PCI Express 2.0
Old 05-22-10, 01:21 PM   #56
KnightsCross
Bosun

Or this ? $70

ATI Radeon™ HD 4350

KEY FEATURES

• Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
• Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT)
• 80 Stream Processing Units
• ATI Radeon PowerPlay™ Technology
• DirectX 10.1 Support
• Low Profile Compatible
• HDCP Capable
• ATI Radeon Hypermemory
• PCI Express 2.0

Specifications Bus Type: PCI-E 2.0 GPU Clock: 600 Mhz Memory Bus: 64 Memory Type: DDR2 Memory Size: 1024 MB Memory Speed: 800 Mhz Thermal Solution: HEATSINK Minimum Power Supply Requirement: 300 Watt Outputs: VGA, , HDTV, , Dual-Link DVI Card Dimensions: 6.6 x 2.73 x 0.75 Feature: ATI Avivo™ HD Video, ATI PowerPlay™ Technology, ATI Hypermemory, Microsoft DirectX® 10.1

Package Contents: S-Video Cable
Old 05-22-10, 01:47 PM   #57
KnightsCross
Bosun

Almost forgot that I may also need to upgrade some other bits, I know I'm probably better to get a new pc but what would I need to change on this as a new pc is not an option atm

here are my cp specs

Windows XP
Home edition
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon(tm)
1.15GHz,512MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Audio Codecs
Vidio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Vidio Capure Devices
Virtual Memory 766MB Recommended, 1536MB Allocated
C drive has 149GB ,30GB Free

Tanks Again
Darren ______
Old 05-22-10, 04:14 PM   #58
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

your computer's RAM is pretty low KC, upgrading that will run your games a little better... another 2.5 gigs will go a long way, I have 3 gigs of RAM in my machine and I can run TvsT and Steel Fury well with my HD3450 512

getting the HD4350 with 1024 VRAM will definitely improve your gaming performance, with said RAM and video card upgrades you should be able to handle quite a few newer games.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 09:45 PM   #59
KnightsCross
Bosun

Tanks Sledge
I don't have a clue what the difference is with these 2 cards and weather the DDR2 memory is a separate item or part of the video card ?

The 1st one $40 XFX ATI Radeon HD4350 says it has 8GB memory with DDR2

The 2nd one $70 ATI Radeon HD4350 says it has 1024 MB Memory with DDR2

Are these the same ?
Is the DDR2 a separate unit ?
Is one of these better than the other ?

Do I need to add any other components, and what exactly please as I am totally noob at this

To me the 8GB memory for $40 seems the best, but I don't know what is actual memory or someone making it sound good ? both items are new

My aim is to be able to-
1. play SFK 1942 which I have just got
2. Join the ZeeWolf $60 club

Hope I don't sound to dumb, I'm slow but worth waiting for

Tanks
Darren

KnightsCross
Old 05-22-10, 09:47 PM   #60
frinik
Grey Wolf

KC as I said in one of my past posts you need minimum 512 mbs dedicated.The HD 4350 you are suggetsing seems quite right.Apparently what matters as well as total video memory is the memory bus ( the higher the better 98 is better than 64) and the memory type DDR3 is preferable to DDR2.But i think your card is quite right and so is the price.

AS Sledgehammerand I suggested you need more RAM.I have 4 gbs of RAM but Vista eats 1 so I basically have 3 gbs effective.The more RAM the faster your programs will run. Otherwise it´s like having a Porsche engine with a 2 speed transmission.Hard disk spcae is also important .If your games are all in the C drive and it´s clogged with limited space available your games will run.It´s important to defragment your hard disk on a regular basis.Some pcs( like mine) do that automatically ofr you every week for example.Finally when you play turn you antivirus off and any other program running, UTorrent , window defender etc.This way all your pc´s resources are mustered for your games not spread around.

8 gbs memory??? for RAM yes but for a graphic card it´s IMPOSSIBLE it must be a typo.The best video cards do not offer more than 2 gbs of video memory and they cost a great deal more money than $ 40.AT that price that graphic card would have been sold out in minutes!!!!!Just go on the internet and check the models specs.There are dozens of websites where you can check it out

Cheers