SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-09, 12:20 AM   #46
dbf574
Mate

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torps View Post
Hey Neal,

I have been using 7 RC for quite a few months. It runs great. No problems with drivers, no freezing at all, even though I have 40+ programs installed. It is almost as fast as XP. I will be upgrading to the full version soon. Go to newegg.com and you can get the "system builders version" for $109. Not an upgrade, the full version. You have to choose between the 32 bit or 64bit. I would suggest the 64bit especially if you have more then 3gigs of memory. Howver you can pay for the full retail version which includes both.

GL Neal.
Neal,
The 'Upgrade' version has both (32bit & 64bit) cds'.
Old 11-16-09, 08:07 AM   #47
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

New 7 Laptop on its way.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 09:09 AM   #48
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152

I have it and am just about to post a thread to pick brains on any problems that might arise when installing SH3 GWX, having given a decent interval for others to find the pitfalls....
Old 02-08-10, 08:13 AM   #49
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

About to order Ultimate retail edition... €270,-... that's $370,- at the current rate.

Guess that new graphicscard will have to wait.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 08:28 AM   #50
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
About to order Ultimate retail edition... €270,-... that's $370,- at the current rate.

Guess that new graphicscard will have to wait.
This price is INSANE. Thats why I will keep on using XP until its not supported anymore (around 2014) and then I'll just go on to linux.
Its absurd that the price of Windows represents in some cases around 50% of the cost of a nice computer.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 AM   #51
Arclight
Navy Seal

I can build a complete system for €300... not a good one, but complete non the less.

Thankfully found a company that sells for €220,- / $300,-

Here's the thing; they send me an e-mail confirming my order, immediately followed by 1 confirming the payment... but I haven't payed yet.

Should I wait to see if it arrives, or should I just transfer the money? And if I wait and it comes, will it turn around and bite me on the ass?

Old 03-12-10, 05:51 PM   #52
nycoroner05
Soundman

Downloads: 144
Default Win 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Anyone? If so, how? New computer with 7 installed? Upgrade from Vista? Any XP converts to 7?
runs great and SH 3, 4 and 5 play great!

Went from XP to both vista and then 7. All installed fine and all games run great
Old 03-15-10, 02:19 AM   #53
Spotter
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycoroner05 View Post
runs great and SH 3, 4 and 5 play great!

Went from XP to both vista and then 7. All installed fine and all games run great
That doesn't exactly answer the question of getting the game to run in WIN7

I have a new AMD quad with 6gb RAM and the latest ATI video card of 1gb and DX10... installed my original CD SH3 per Neal's instructions, patched her up and BOOM! "your drivers appear out of date" then ka-BOOM game refuses to load.

Checked video drivers to find the message lied. I am up to date on all Win7 patches and updates.

Quadruple checked I installed SH3 correctly (I did) and retired twice more, with the "Ka-BOOM" results (Note; I did not try to make the Ka-BOOM on purpose) Un-installed SH3, then noticed my brand new top of the line uber gaming PC running weirdly slow. (uh-oh)

Okay, let's do a roll back three days and everything will be fine. Not! The rollback failed to roll back, and the screen stopped at total black after the Win7 4 color balls rezzed to the MS logo. Total black? WTF over... I always thought I'd see this BSOD.

Anyway, in my ramblings I'll make it shorter... PC's at PC in patient care now. And my finger hesitates over the fire button on ordering SH4 and/or SH5. (Yes, Uncle Neal, I am relegating the SH3 CD to my coffee coaster pile.)

My question, which I know should be at the top, but I am on a typing roll so... Question is: Are SH4 and SH5 as big a pain to install on Win7?

Thanks for putting up with the rant.

PS I'm running a lot of legacy XP games fine; UFO: Aftershock, Afterlight, Spore, the FALLOUT trilogy and so on... This is the first game I could not get to run in Win7, and it is a sad thing my PC porked out after the uninstall and rollback.

Last edited by Spotter; 03-15-10 at 02:25 AM. Reason: almost forgot to add
Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 02:37 AM   #54
Arclight
Navy Seal

Haven't had any issues to date, neither with 4 or 5. Just install and it works as far as I'm aware.

Old 03-15-10, 08:21 AM   #55
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Arclight, you do know that there are OEM copies of 7 that are cheaper, right? Also, you may not need to shell out for Ultimate...most of the time, HP or Pro will be sufficient to meet your needs.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 08:49 AM   #56
Arclight
Navy Seal

OEM means the copy is tied to your machine, I can carry retail over to new systems. At least that's how I understood it.

Was going for Pro, but Ultimate was only 20,- more. Difference small enough to not care about, so just went with Ultimate.

Old 03-15-10, 05:30 PM   #57
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Spotter - welcome aboard!

Sh3 actually runs fine on Win7. The "driver out of date" message your getting is actually one created by the SH3 starforce drivers - nasty drm that can and did break a few dvd devices. Still just use the starforce removal tool to get rid of that - and use the steps provided here by subsim and sanctioned by Ubi to bypass the copy protection.

The wonderful mods for SH3 - including GWX - install just fine after that.

Edit - SH4 also installs with no problems on my windows 7 machine. I cannot speak to SH5 personally - as I don't have the game. However, a friend does have it on his 7 machine and he never indicated any problems.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 08:09 AM   #58
Spotter
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Edit - SH4 also installs with no problems on my windows 7 machine. I cannot speak to SH5 personally - as I don't have the game. However, a friend does have it on his 7 machine and he never indicated any problems.

Thanks Haplo, for the greeting and the info. I agree that Starforce thing is a bit of a pain, and can't thank you guys enough for all the support here.

However, I'm going to order SH4 for the Pacific side of the fight. Installing SH5 in a few minutes.

Here's to many tonnes under the belt
Old 03-22-10, 10:16 AM   #59
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post

Sh3 actually runs fine on Win7. The "driver out of date" message your getting is actually one created by the SH3 starforce drivers - nasty drm that can and did break a few dvd devices. Still just use the starforce removal tool to get rid of that - and use the steps provided here by subsim and sanctioned by Ubi to bypass the copy protection.

The wonderful mods for SH3 - including GWX - install just fine after that.

Another option is to obtain the latest version of starforce (Gasp).
Old 03-27-10, 10:38 AM   #60
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbf574 View Post
Neal,
The 'Upgrade' version has both (32bit & 64bit) cds'.
Thanks, mate.

Well, Win7 on my new post-motorcycle crash laptop is proving to be pretty nice. No real testing, just first impressions.

Tags
windows 7