SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-09, 06:31 AM   #31
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Gee I'm rather peeved off!! I gave the company a ring today to see if the monitor has arrived, they tell me it's no longer available and they don't know the replacement model or price, nice of them to let me know!! now back to searching for another!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 08:39 AM   #32
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Now that is some excellent customer service if I every seen it Back to square one.
Old 01-30-09, 11:11 AM   #33
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomen
I got a 4 year old 17 inch Xerox LCD. Best monitor I ever had. Unfortunately, they don't built those anymore. That thing has a glas plate in front of the matrix, so touchy touchy is allowed.

Been thinking about buying a new set of bigger monitors for some time, though. But my Finance Secretary (aka, my wife) will object when I buy 3 new screens for my computer with the old ones still working just fine.
That problem is easily fixed.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 11:13 AM   #34
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
You need to gaze at her when she's in a good mood with big soulfull eyes, look down every now and then and lower the bottom lip, Ive got it down to an art!

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 06:06 PM   #35
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I like these new smilies, obviously FIREWALL does too!!

Old 01-30-09, 07:31 PM   #36
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
I just ordered a 22" KDS for less than $180 (US) with free shipping. KDS has been making monitors for years and they are good quality. Biggest plus is the 3 year warranty - though I have never liked their stands much.

It will be replacing my 3 yr old Samsung that is only 19". I paid twice this much for the Samsung, and would have been a little concerned had it not been for the fact I have worked using KDS monitors many times and know they are good.

If you were not in Australia it probably wouldn't be a problem - but have you checked places like Newegg, TigerDirect, or even pricewatch to see if you can find a good monitor that won't cost an arm and a leg to ship to you?

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:20 PM   #37
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Good news anyway, I just located a site in Adelaide that has one in stock and only $7 dearer, so I asked them to put it to one side till I can get down to the big smoke on thursday!!

Old 01-31-09, 11:44 AM   #38
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

What would you do:

Samsung 2253BW with 8000:1 and 2 ms for 190 Euros,

or

Samsung 2233BW with 20.000:1 and 5 ms for 190 Euros

or

LG Flatron W2252TQ-PF with 10.000:1 and 2 ms for 180 Euros?

They are all 22".

I tend to Samsung 2253, since I have very good experience with my new TV of that brand, and bad experience with a refrigerator by LG.
Old 01-31-09, 03:30 PM   #39
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Skybird, go with the 2233 with the higher contrast ratio. While there is no specific standard on contrast measuring, one would assume that Samsung would use the same standard between monitors. This means simply a sharper image.

The 5ms/2ms debate rages - but unless you have the 2 screens next to each other you wont tell a difference. Honestly - who the heck can tell a difference of 3 microseconds (.03 of a second) anyway? I sure as heck can't!

You should stand behind a company that has given you good expeiences in the past. Support with the $!

Captain Haplo
Old 01-31-09, 04:27 PM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

thanks, I am considering it.

I will go to a store on monday and just watch both monitors side by side, I think. This is my third attempt on over two years to got for a TFT. My CRT went bad some month agao - and then recovered all by itself. Very mysterious. But it consumes four times as much power than those Samsungs with 45W.

I have an AGP-connected 7900GS (256 MB), with (unused)DVI-D and (used) RGB-connectors, running at 1280x1024, usually. I wonder if demanding games will show a frames drop with that higher resolution you run a 22" widescreen display at, 1680 x 1050 i think. I am especially worried concerning FS9, and Oblivion.
Old 01-31-09, 11:33 PM   #41
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

The video card doesnt care how big the screen is. It will draw for example - 1280x1024 - at the same framerate on a 22" as on a tiny 14". It has to output the same number of pixels regardless of the real screesize. Thats really where you get into that "response time" thing. How fast are the pixels refreshed - every 5 microseconds or every 2? If you figure 5 microseconds - that means its updating the PIXELS 200 times a second. At an "average" of 60 frames per second gaming - its refreshing the pixels a little over three times per frame. At 2 microseconds your getting a pixel refresh (or change) up to 500 times per second. Thats 8+ times per frame rendered. Are you really going to notice the difference? The human eye is only so quick - most people can't tell a framerate difference above 60 - can they tell an individual PIXEL change 3x (or 8x) times faster?

Not this guy.

Captain Haplo
Old 02-01-09, 05:23 AM   #42
Skybird
Soaring

I think you misunderstood me. I am currently on an old 19" 4:3 CRT, using 1280x960. The Samsung panels 22" 16:10 are recommended for best picture sharpness to be run at 16XX x 1050. Isn't that the new resolution I would need to run the graphics board at? In FS9, which is aleady balancing on a thin line between settings and frame rates, it certainly makes a difference in frames whether I run it at 1024x768, or 1280x960. 16xx x 1050 certainly are more pixels the board has to work on. Around 40% more.

Or do I fundamentally misunderstand something here?
Old 02-01-09, 06:05 AM   #43
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Your right Sky, running the 22" in its native resolution 1680x1050 will push the computer more. In short, less good Fps. Especially if you crank up the Anti aliasing to x4 or beyond. The graphics in other than native resolutions are generally crap.

This is because the default way Nvidia drivers handles this, is that even if you choose say your old resolution 1280x960, the scaling will fill up the whole 22" and you loose the correct aspect ratio for this resolution. That looks really really bad. Your beloved Leopard tank will look too long for example... Things that are supposed to be circular are oval etc...

The trick I use, is to change how the scaling is done. In the Nvidia control panel you can change the "flat panel scaling". You can then pick "use Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio" or "no scaling" . First option fills out the screen as much as possible, but keeps correct aspect ratio, for example 4:3. Then the outpout will be reasonably crisp and clear, but you will have black borders around the picture, but only at the sides, as you don't use the full 22". The no scaling option will give you a really crisp picture, but if you go for say 1024x768 the display will look very small on the 22" monitor, probably with black borders even above and under the output.

This is the way I handle games that simply gets too demanding in the monitors native resolution. Or older games that doesn't support higher resolutions out of the box. Sure you miss out on the full 22" experience, but I prefer good and fluid games with crisp graphics. This way you can still choose how you want to do in every case, just as with your Crt. And you still have the full 22" for some games and desktop work, and with less power consumption.

One last thing that complicates this a bit is that many Nvidia driver versions won't allow the scaling options I mentioned. They will be greyed out or revert back when changed. You need to download and run a small exe thing called "Enable overscan compensation", and then restart the computer. In most cases (depends on driver version) you now have access to all scaling options in the control panel and they should stick, so you only need to do this once. all this works with Nvidias latest certified driver for my 8800 GTS.

Good luck with the new monitor. I haven't missed my old Crt, and I run the Samsung 226BW with 2 ms and 3000:1 contrast.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.

Last edited by porphy; 02-01-09 at 06:16 AM.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 07:04 AM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

Thanks Porphy, that info comes handy. the only two games where i must worry over frames, is FS9, and Oblivion. While the latter is no porblem to be run in letterbox mode, with FS9 the smaller picture size may be a problem, since I use very complex cockpit modules with plents of small letters in virtual cockpit mode. A 22" widescreen is as high as a 19" 4:3, so loosing a quarter of height really makes it smaller.

On the bother hand, all other applications may benefit from a new screen, since I am not interested in new games and play very very rarely only. And if so, it is mostly Chess and CoSims.

SBP will implement a new, more detailed and I think more hardware-friendly data standard for the vehicle models when the new upgrade is released. I do not expect serious problems there anyway, since i run it with good frames. And one day, a new computer becomes mandatory anyway, this current one will not live forever.
Old 02-01-09, 11:37 AM   #45
Skybird
Soaring

Do TFTs make noise?

I have very often now read complaints by customers that their TFTs make whimpering, high pitched, squeaking sounds. I have very good ears, and I am sensitive to such things, I hate them. I want my display working silent.

Is this a real issue?