SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-11, 03:11 PM   #121
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

When I owned and ran my ISP, We had a Game Server named Tsavo.
It was a dedicated Quake Server with our modifications on it.
The Main work Horse was Named Vanguard.
The accounts Server was named Payme.
Old 01-19-11, 05:25 PM   #122
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Hey all,

I am thinking about switching to the 64-bit OS provided I don't have to completely rebuild my 1 year old machine. Trying to figure out how much of what I have already would be compatible with the switch.

My processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core, the specs for it say "yes" for simultaneous 32- & 64-bit computing, I am assuming that means it will support a 64-bit OS?

If so, what else do I need to verify before I consider making the change? I know I'll need 64-bit drivers for "all devices" which I can check on easily when it comes to printers and external stuff and drives I guess but what other stuff in the innards of the beast do I need to check on?

Thanks for any help/advice!
frau kaleun,

have you managed to switch to win 7 64 from win xp 32n without loosing the careers you had in SHC?

I just switched from xp 32 to 7 64 and I saved all the SHC files, SH3 folder in 'My Documents'. I was wondering whether it was possible to re install the career I had under win xp in SH Commander under win 7 or do I have to start a new career?
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 09:17 PM   #123
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Schutze View Post
frau kaleun,

have you managed to switch to win 7 64 from win xp 32n without loosing the careers you had in SHC?

I just switched from xp 32 to 7 64 and I saved all the SHC files, SH3 folder in 'My Documents'. I was wondering whether it was possible to re install the career I had under win xp in SH Commander under win 7 or do I have to start a new career?
No, I didn't try to save my old careers. I only had one that was active and I'd already done enough patrols that the kaleun would've been close to the end of his time at the front anyway. Plus I knew I was gonna completely redo all my mods and I wanted to start fresh.

I know some people have been able to back up careers and restore them after a reinstall or a change of computers, but I don't know about a change of OS. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible, if the data is there and the game runs I would think it wouldn't be a problem. But I have no experience with doing it. Start a thread and ask, though, somebody here will probably know.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 11:14 PM   #124
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466

Thank you frau kaleun
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote