SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-19, 03:36 PM   #1
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Addled old salt requesting assistance from veteran modders

Hello all.

As mentioned earlier, upon my return to the forum after being absent for some years due to a serious health issue, I am getting back to the game. I used to run it on an ASUS gaming notebook, quite well; before that on a decent desktop system under XP. I was very adept at installing patches, mods and manually editing game files.

In late 2014 I had a set of seizures in one day, never having had any seizures before then, so an out of the blue thing. Upon investigation it was found that I had a brain tumor with large fluid sac which was building pressure inside my skull. In the spring of 2015 I had surgery to remove it. Fortunately it was benign, and I am recovering, though I do seem to have some lingering issues. The most serious are short term memory impairment and difficulty converting short term memory into long term memory, and a tendency to cognitive overload. I can absorb so much new information and handle so much stress, then I start to "blue screen" like an old Windows computer. I also feel rather "diminished" in a way "upstairs." This is why I am struggling with reinstalling and configuring this game, whereas in the past it was rather quite easy.

As a result of this I am struggling with game installation on my old ASUS notebook; [I am planning to try LSH2015 when my new desktop arrives] but it is slowly coming back to me. I know the usual suggestion is to "read the manual" and I have been doing that, but I would just like to ask a simple question and then not bother anyone again. I can get the game going, patched to version 1,4b with no disc in the drive [I own a North American DVD version with Starforce, which has not been enabled via the "no disc" files.]

My simple question has to do with in which order I install the following:

Game is patched to 1.4b, no disc installation. Running as administrator in W7 compatibility.

Would like to install:

JSGME 3.2
SH3 Commander
JSGME config files for GWX
GWX Gold
H.sie patch V16B
Stiebler's 4C_V16B1 patch to H.sie patch V16B
A 1020 x 1980 widescreen GUI, likely ARB
Das Boot crew mod [makes officers look like Das Boot actors]

I suppose the gist of it is, do I install the H.sie and Stiebler files before GWX or after? Also, at what point in the above do I enable the mods within GWX Gold, and should a GUI be the last mod to go in?

Thank you in advance for your tolerance and patience.

K-61

Last edited by K-61; 11-29-19 at 03:54 PM.
K-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-19, 04:19 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi RandyYou need the Config files for GWX Gold and SH3 compatibility.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1421
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-19, 04:35 PM   #3
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61 View Post
JSGME 3.2
SH3 Commander
JSGME config files for GWX
GWX Gold
H.sie patch V16B
Stiebler's 4C_V16B1 patch to H.sie patch V16B
A 1020 x 1980 widescreen GUI, likely ARB
Das Boot crew mod [makes officers look like Das Boot actors]

I suppose the gist of it is, do I install the H.sie and Stiebler files before GWX or after? Also, at what point in the above do I enable the mods within GWX Gold, and should a GUI be the last mod to go in?

Thank you in advance for your tolerance and patience.
I’ll explain on the fingers. You will play with the settings that are set last. Those. if you put the interface, and then put the GWX, then you will have the GWX interface. The patch requires manual modification of the base files GWX. You will install the interface last, because You will want to make a wide map for ARB. The crew of Das Boot does not affect the latter.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-19, 04:52 PM   #4
K-61
Grey Wolf

Much thanks, Anvar. It really disconcerts me how I could so quickly lose all of the accumulated knowledge that was once second nature to me.

So if I understand correctly, on top of the stock game I install GWX, which includes JSGME, then activate the mods in GWX. Next SH3 Commander and the config files to make Cmdr compatible with GWX. Then H.sie and Stiebler's patch to H.sie and finally the GUI?

Thank you.
Old 11-29-19, 07:11 PM   #5
K-61
Grey Wolf

I've hit a mine. All is good up until I try to use H.sie to patch my SH3.exe file. I believe I have followed instructions to the letter. I have copied my 1.4b SH3.exe into a working folder, put the patch .exe file into the same folder and double clicked the patch .exe file. It tells me to press space key to continue, and when I do it attempts to run and then tells me there is no compatible SH3.exe file to be found and exits.

Anyone have any ideas?

If I can't get this to work, would it be a good idea for me to ask someone to send me a copy of their original SH3.exe file?
Old 11-30-19, 03:42 AM   #6
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61 View Post
Sh3.exe file

PM
Old 11-30-19, 04:44 PM   #7
K-61
Grey Wolf

Thanks, Anvar. I tried but to no avail.

All I seem to need is the exe for GWX Gold with the H.sie patch applied. I've tried countless times to get the patch applied and I believe I am following the directions correctly. I put the patch exe and the SH3 exe in a working folder, click the patch and some words quickly flash by and then the no compatible exe message is displayed.

If I can't get this resolved then I am going to play GWX without H.sie until the new computer comes.

I have also decided that once I have the new desktop I am going to wipe the W10 upgrade on my notebook and go back to W7 64 bit. I will keep the notebook as a gaming setup and use the desktop for my online stuff. All thanks to King Billy's decision to orphan his W7.

I did manage to get the Ahnenerbe GUI going, so at least I can see the game in proper full screen.

Thanks for helping.
Old 11-30-19, 05:28 PM   #8
K-61
Grey Wolf

What a trying few days. I finally got GWX Gold going this afternoon. Could not get the H.sie patch to work, but did get the Ahnenerbe GUI installed and it looked gorgeous, seeing my SH3 in widescreen for the first time ever. I decided to to do the naval exams as a way to get reacquainted with the controls and was doing fine in the navigation exam when it seems my notebook overheated and had a stroke, the screen going white blank.

It's been a great notebook except being prone to overheating. Every year and a half or so I have to take it apart, clean it out and reapply thermal compound the to the CPU/heatsink. Then it runs fine until next time. I think ASUS knew this was a flaw in the G73 series and they corrected it for newer models. My brother has a newer version of this notebook and it runs great for him. I'm hoping to get SH3 going on his rig, too. I also noticed this notebook giving me some grief when I installed Steel Panthers World at War, an old SSI tactical ground combat game. Took me so many clicks when adjusting my artillery barrages. Not sure if it was the computer itself or having to run it in W10. So frustrating. Much better being a sailor than a soldier.

Anyhow, I have to give up my attempts with this notebook and hope to get going again when the new desktop arrives. Much appreciation to those who have welcomed me back and helped me with my troubles.
Old 12-01-19, 02:43 AM   #9
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

FRONT-END
Old 12-02-19, 01:01 PM   #10
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65

The h.sie changes need to be applied to the original SH3.exe file, not the one modified by GWX. I did the same mistake too, at first. From there, you put that modified SH3.exe inside the folder you have to put in the MODS folder for h.sie fixes to be applied.

I'm at work right now, but I'll give clearer instructions when back home.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 03:11 PM   #11
K-61
Grey Wolf

Oh, lovely! Thank you for making that ring clear.