SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-21, 11:45 PM   #1
kangjiajinlong
Swabbie

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Epic mod 2.33 game battle freeze

Epic 2.33 freezes every 1 or 2 seconds in certain battles, especially those involving capital ships (e.g. aircraft carrier group). Reloading or reopening the game does not solve the problem. I haven't seen other people reporting this issue so I just wonder if anyone also sees this problem. Epic 2.32 does not have this problem.

Just checked on what actually happened. It appears that in 2.33 GPU usage is only 1-3% during battle with capital ships, while the usage is about 40% in 2.32. Not sure why this happened

Last edited by kangjiajinlong; 12-18-21 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-18-21, 08:06 AM   #2
SpeedyPC
Officer

Downloads: 67
Icon9

Had the same issue when I was playing as the Russian on the Golf Class 68's SSBN, I THINK I've found the bug issue is causing the freeze up problem, however, I need backup help to confirm the issue.

The issue is only causing when playing as a Russain not British or American.

1. Look out for an American warship called Garcia Class Anti-Submarine.

2. Chances are 1 or 2 maybe more Garcia Class Anti-Submarine warships will keep causing the game freeze every 2 or 3 second.

3. WHY! Well... When the Garcia Class Anti-Submarine warship gets hit by one or two torpdeos, because, Garcia Class will NOT sink. The Garcia Class warship will be dead on top of the ocean water, and won't sink to the bottom.

4. Somewhere along the issue is the mod game is trying to force Garcia Class to sink to the bottom after being hit instead of being dead on top of the water.

5. Every time I restart my autosave about 3 or 4 times, until, there wasn't a single Garcia Class Anti-Submarine warship in the autosave mission, and the freezing issue is completely GONE!!!.

6. I strongly believe the Garcia Class Anti-Submarine warship is the main bug issue, beacuse the ship will NOT sink after being hit by 1 or 2 torpdeos.

7. IF, there's more than one Garcia Class Anti-Submarine warship you will have a freezing problem.

8. Please double check on your end of the issue causing above.

Last edited by SpeedyPC; 12-18-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-18-21, 12:38 PM   #3
SpeedyPC
Officer

Here's a screenshot of the Garcia class anti-submarine warship is completely dead above water, unable to move or sink to the bottom after been hit by a single torpdeo... FYI above the freeze issue.

Old 12-18-21, 09:23 PM   #4
kangjiajinlong
Swabbie

Good catch! Yes I think the presence of Garcia class ship is indeed the source of freeze. I do not know how to fix it, but as a temporary workaround I changed every Garcia class to Knox class in the campaign folder and it seems to solve the problem.
Old 12-18-21, 09:35 PM   #5
SpeedyPC
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangjiajinlong View Post
Good catch! Yes I think the presence of Garcia class ship is indeed the source of freeze. I do not know how to fix it, but as a temporary workaround I changed every Garcia class to Knox class in the campaign folder and it seems to solve the problem.
May I ask.... how did you resolved the issue through campaign folder???
Old 12-19-21, 01:42 AM   #6
kangjiajinlong
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyPC View Post
May I ask.... how did you resolved the issue through campaign folder???
Under ColdWaters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\epicmod \campaign\campaignXXX\missions, there are many txt files that specify enemy ships of each type of encounter. Just open each of them and change "usn_68_ff_garcia_ai" to some other ship, like "usn_84_ff_knox_ai".
Old 12-19-21, 07:42 AM   #7
SpeedyPC
Officer

I think I've done a very smart way, quick and simple without going through the campaign folder.

Goto ColdWaters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\epicmod \vessels

1. Rename original file as shown usn_68_ff_garcia_ai.txt_BUG

2. Copy original file usn_84_ff_knox_ai.txt and rename it to usn_68_ff_garcia_ai.txt

3. DONE!!! Until the bug problem of the US Garcia class anti-submarine warship issue have been resolved ASAP.

Last edited by SpeedyPC; 12-19-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-19-21, 11:43 AM   #8
kangjiajinlong
Swabbie

By the way, do you feel laggy (drop in FPS) in game? I use RTX 3090 and the fps is very unstable on ultra high 4K. Basically 40-60 fps. I feel that this game is poorly optimized.
Old 12-19-21, 04:23 PM   #9
SpeedyPC
Officer

Quote:
By the way, do you feel laggy (drop in FPS) in game? I use RTX 3090 and the fps is very unstable on ultra high 4K. Basically 40-60 fps. I feel that this game is poorly optimized.
I don't have a graphic desktop computer anymore, before I was medically retired from structural engineering design draftsperson for 20 years.

I have a gaming laptop which is a ASUS G75VX-T4020H, I never overkill my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670MX, because, I don't overkill or overclocked the GPU graphic chip which can shorten the hardware lifespan.
Old 12-20-21, 01:37 AM   #10
kangjiajinlong
Swabbie

Found another strange bug. The propeller of the borei class submarine is not rotating at all despite having a speed forward.
Old 12-20-21, 02:44 AM   #11
SpeedyPC
Officer

Quote:
Found another strange bug. The propeller of the borei class submarine is not rotating at all despite having a speed forward.
Confirmed and it's a BUG error showing the Borei class SSBN propeller isn't rotating when moving through the ocean or under the sea water.

Edit:- Also the tail rudder showing on the Borei class SSBN doesn't move left, right, up and down.

Are you passing all the information to the Epic mod, as I have no details to be able to report errors.

Last edited by SpeedyPC; 12-20-21 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-20-21, 04:07 PM   #12
kangjiajinlong
Swabbie

I have no good way to report the bug either. I replied under the steam thread and also in epic mod's discord server but they seem to be very inactive. Not sure if any epic staff is monitoring the message.
Old 12-20-21, 05:49 PM   #13
SpeedyPC
Officer

Quote:
I have no good way to report the bug either. I replied under the steam thread and also in epic mod's discord server but they seem to be very inactive. Not sure if any epic staff is monitoring the message.
Give him time and space, he's properly taken a break to focus on the mod, and he needs to enjoy life as well
Closed Thread