SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-19, 07:36 AM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Windows 7 64-bit on my machine has issues even running Windows Media Player a 2nd time - it won't start at all. If you look in the "processes" of the Task Manager, you'll see an extra rundll, and in the "applications" you'll see winmp or some-such. MS buggered something up - again... all the issues probably have not been found yet.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-19, 04:07 PM   #17
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Have spent some more time on this and like Propbeanie there may be multiple Rundll32.exe running. Attempting to start SH3 using SH3 Commander (SH3Cdr) result in the main program stops running but remains active in the Process's list. As noted above, terminating the idle SH3.exe in the File Manager also terminates the SH3Cdr process and then SH3 will run normally with SH3Cdr if you run the latter immediately. Having multiple SH3Cdr does not make any difference, run and terminate any one and any other one will run normally next time.

Curious. This problem seems tied to the Rundll32.exe file, which remains active and eating CPU cycles after exiting SH3. I terminate them manually and doing so even with SH3 running frees up the CPU but does not seem to affect SH3.

Looking at the issue with multiple Rundll32.exe online indicates that the problem may be related to malware but scanning with Malawarebytes and ESET-32 came up clean. I noticed that this SH3 problem started after a Windows-7 update was executed but I cannot honestly determine whether this is causal or coincidental. That others seem to be having similar issues points to some Windows update as being a suspect.

So no cure but a clumsy work-around. I wonder if it is significant that there are no apparent issues with any iteration of SH4 on my machine (FOTRS-U, TMO/RSRD, Stock, Soviet Waterways v110 and Operation Monsun w/Fifi's mod).

Maybe somebody else has better insights.

Chris
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-19, 05:12 PM   #18
propbeanie

Try a fresh re-boot of your machine, and see if you can get it to function as intended the first time... I haven't tried enough of that to know for certain, but after the computer has been on a while, it won't run the first time, but will after doing as you describe... - mine is an old E8600 something or other quad-core, 8 gig of ram, nVidia 560, multiple SATA hard and optical drives. No floppy, no USB boot. I do multi-channel audio mixing on the same machine, and have been having some issues with audio apps & plug-ins not wanting to start correctly, besides the Windows Media Player doing what it does. All of this after the update the other day, of which I would have to do some digging to figure out which one(s) was the latest... no issues with SH4. I have not been in SH5 much lately.

Old 06-27-19, 09:50 PM   #19
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Actually a cold boot was my initial go-to solution but it makes zero difference. The thing is at some point the behaviour of SH3Cdr and SH3 changed and while it would be nice to know that the cause was some MS upgrade, I really cannot assert that with significant confidence. So there very well may be some malware doing the dirty deed. Seems a rather specific species of malware though...

Mine is an older, rebuilt duo-core I3 3.00 GB CPU with 8 GB RAM and using a NVidia GForce GT710. Not a powerhouse but it used to run SH3 and SH4 mostly stutter-free and with the graphic sliders maxed out. I do not recall any Rundll32.exe issues or multiple copies of that file before this started. MS flight simulators and complex games like CMANO, Scourge of War and Wings Over Flanders Fields-Ultimate run fine and do not trigger the Rundll32 problem.

At some point the plan is to take the machine into the local computer shop to be disinfected but that's probably a bit down the pipe.

-C
Old 06-28-19, 08:55 AM   #20
propbeanie

Another note on my computer is that Fifi and I were discussing his imported submarines in his Compilation for SH4 OM, and he commented on the poor quality of my screen shots, and supplied me with his nVidia settings - which are very similar to what mine are supposed to be. Lo and behold, Windows had installed a different nVidia driver from what I had, and re-set the display properties back to the "default", and I no longer have an "SH4" profile in the nVidia Control Panel. Also, my nVidia Inspector folder and app were gone... I still had the zip archive, but the un-zipped folder was gone... ?? - very strange stuff.

Old 06-28-19, 11:18 AM   #21
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

I remind you that the registry is the most vulnerable element of Windows, and any incorrect intervention in its subsoil can partially or completely deprive the system of working capacity. Therefore, I recommend before starting the experiments to create a backup copy of the registry.

Start-line: find programs and files .. Enter: regedit (call the registry keys).
Open the first scroll - HKEY CLASSES ROOT. Next in the hierarchy: Local Setting - Software - Microsoft - Windows -GameUX - ServiseLocation .. Two keys appear in the right window. We are interested in the second (Games). This address should be erased: double-click on the key, delete the value in the pop-up window, complete the operation Ok. The Rundll32.exe process is stopped.

I can not guarantee that it will work after rebooting the system.

Last edited by Anvar1061; 06-28-19 at 11:38 AM.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 12:05 PM   #22
propbeanie

Interestingly enough, I do not have that key in my registry... However, a reference to it is further down the list under the "Explorer - Desktop - NameSpace" in the "Removal Message" key...

Edit: Nutz... none of my SH3 installs work, no matter the mod... what thuh??? - now Steam is telling me that I'm missing an update for it... wow

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-28-19 at 12:18 PM. Reason: It's broken...
Old 06-28-19, 03:25 PM   #23
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Thank you for the registry info, that particular key is exactly where you pointed but I am not sure that I am prepared to mess in the registry. Have done so before for non-SH3 related issues and with success but given that I have an effective, if clumsy work-around and the means to terminate an out-of-control Rundll32.exe as necessary, deleting registry items is probably not yet required.

-C
Old 06-29-19, 10:04 AM   #24
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146
Default Silent hunter Commander 3.2 download

Where can I download SH3 Commander 3.2? Not the installer for GWX 3 the actual Commander 3.2?
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 10:26 AM   #25
johnlax
Navy Dude

Downloads: 21
Default SH3 commander and SH III

I am having the same problem as stated above SH3 will not launch SH III
I agree it may have something to do with Win 7 going away

I have a good friend who is very good with computers and that was his first
johnlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 11:33 AM   #26
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

I had a little upgrade on my pc, with a new installation of Win7.

I just installed SH3 now and after I run the game with out success. The same problem and rundll32 spiking!
SO it is a win7 problem, do to something. Any one want to join and march through MS with pitch and forks?
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 01:04 PM   #27
propbeanie

You'd get arrested for inappropriate behavior and bullying...

Old 06-29-19, 01:30 PM   #28
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You'd get arrested for inappropriate behavior and bullying...
So, you're not coming?

Last edited by Rhodes; 06-29-19 at 05:24 PM.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 09:11 AM   #29
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360
Default SH3 Commander

G-Man,

Do a Google search for "SH3 Commander 3.2" should come right up.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 01:35 PM   #30
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
So, you're not coming?
I missed that the other day! - but only if I get to wear one of those funny face mask things!...