SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-19, 04:57 PM   #16
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Just tried it - sadly, without luck. Proxy clone exhibits the same behaviour unless it's given its own gr2 files.
Okay, I have finally found the discussion that I was telling you about. I didn't re-read it all (yet), but it might contain the key to your problem:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...15#post2053415

Quote:
Floating Plane's folder in TWoS contains some rather unusual files compared to other aircraft's folders:

Looks like two planes (dat and gr2) sharing single folder, but I haven't seen the dat version in game, nor any roster entry referencing it.
If memory serves me well those files were inherited from OHII, and they are the remains of an attempt to import a more realistic Catalina model in SH5. IIRC the model used was the one contained in GWX, but after some failed attempts to make it damageable by other units, it was finally discarded.
After many years, I think that problems wasn't insurmontable, but I don't think that retrying to import the same plane again is worth it: I seem to remember that some later supermod for SHIII or SHIV has a better Catalina model, and some even better models are on my HD
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 05:23 PM   #17
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Okay, I have finally found the discussion that I was telling you about. I didn't re-read it all (yet), but it might contain the key to your problem:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...15#post2053415
I know this thread :-) That's where I've learned how to make main model accept multiple textures. The problem is, LOD file for any gr2 plane in my game, even when I change its main material from "skin" to "cfg#TXRskin", keeps using only default texture.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 06:58 PM   #18
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I know this thread :-) That's where I've learned how to make main model accept multiple textures. The problem is, LOD file for any gr2 plane in my game, even when I change its main material from "skin" to "cfg#TXRskin", keeps using only default texture.
Okay, from the day after tomorrow I won't be at home and probably I won't have time to test anything, but maybe tomorrow I will; I want to see if the same problem happens on my rig and with vanilla game...
Old 05-22-19, 03:35 AM   #19
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Default Test mission

For Gap or anyone who'd like to help test it: I've put a simple single mission on file sharing website:

https://ufile.io/c5i2m7up

Unpack into "Single Missions" folder. It puts British Catalina right above player's boat, if you go to external camera and look up you should see it.

Speaking of LOD models, I was suprised to find that FloatingPlane_LOD.gr2 is actually.... the same model as FloatingPlane.gr2. At least, its number of vertices is the same and I don't see any visual difference either. And its not just this plane - half the GR2 format planes have LOD models with equal or higher number of vertices than the "detailed" model: US Heavy Bomber, Beaufort, Fulmar, Me 109, Arado, FW200, Savoia, C200 fighter...

Ok, I'm not a game designer or 3D modeler but I don't get what is the point of having a LOD model that is more complicated than regular model?

Last edited by kapuhy; 05-24-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 02:30 PM   #20
Oby
Medic

Downloads: 458
Uploads: 0

This mod is a great idea. I'd like to contribute a little. Let me present to you one of the less known plane from WWII era, Grumman J2F "Duck". For me the most badass plane ever build. Let's just enjoy the video:

Found this forgotten legend somewhere on subsim long time ago. The model creator is Testpilot1978. It was created for SH3 with GWX. I just converted it for SH5 very quick and unpolished.

If there is interest I can provide files for implementing it in this mod.

Last edited by Oby; 06-20-19 at 03:29 PM.
Oby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 12:37 PM   #21
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oby View Post
This mod is a great idea. I'd like to contribute a little. Let me present to you one of the less known plane from WWII era, Grumman J2F "Duck". For me the most badass plane ever build.

Found this forgotten legend somewhere on subsim long time ago. The model creator is Testpilot1978. It was created for SH3 with GWX. I just converted it for SH5 very quick and unpolished.

If there is interest I can provide files for implementing it in this mod.
Hi Oby!

Sorry for belated reply, I've not been very active on forums recently but I plan to find more time for SH5 modding this month. Lovely plane! Provided Testpilot1798 gives his permission as well, sure, it would be a great addition. And, since quick Wiki check tells me it was also used by Argentinian Navy, it would (after making a second paint scheme) allow to add one more airforce that is not currently represented in game.
Old 03-16-21, 01:24 AM   #22
Oby
Medic

Downloads: 458

I promised this long ago. Sorry for the delay but RL kicked in. Anyway here are the files for Grumman:

https://mega.nz/file/PeowGaBK#NjEKgl...y1OdESS9Xh4x3Y
Oby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 03:37 AM   #23
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I promised this long ago. Sorry for the delay but RL kicked in. Anyway here are the files for Grumman:
Hi, and thanks I'll look at the files in the evening. From your screenshots though it looks like it's all ready and working in SH5
Old 03-16-21, 05:27 AM   #24
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

https://mega.nz/file/PeowGaBK#NjEKgl...y1OdESS9Xh4x3Y
Such a nice plane, thank you Oby and Testpilot1978
Old 03-22-21, 09:00 PM   #25
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks!

A small update from this weekend - it's Hurricane season:

Egypt:

Free French:

Portugal:

USSR:

Turkey:

Yugoslavia:

I'd hate for my last thought to be "Hey, these textures are all wro..."

It is. In test mission I've created to take aircraft screenshots, I've seen them drop bombs on ships.

-------------------------
I am struggling to find a workaround for a problem - despite switching material name from "skin" to "cfg#TXRskin" as Gap suggested in this post, LOD file seems to ignore other textures. This happens to Catalina model as well (only aircraft I know to use multiple textures in stock game):

So far only way I found to work is to remove LOD file altogether. Even overwriting it with copy of full resolution GR2 file doesn't work, which suggests the issue is not with GR2 file but the game being configured to ignore additional textures with all LOD files. Another way that would probably work is creating a separate folder with main and LOD GR2 files for every texture version, but I suspect this might be quite taxing for game engine.
I think it's not about the LOD at all. The whole problem lies in the MipMaps DDS texture. I save in MipMaps 8 and this is quite enough to display the texture while reducing the visibility of the model. I have already encountered similar problems when I modified the games of the series in F1 Codemasters.
Here are my latest modding works for this game:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...res-mod.38363/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...res-mod.38248/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...res-mod.38173/
U-190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 02:55 AM   #26
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-190 View Post
I think it's not about the LOD at all. The whole problem lies in the MipMaps DDS texture. I save in MipMaps 8 and this is quite enough to display the texture while reducing the visibility of the model. I have already encountered similar problems when I modified the games of the series in F1 Codemasters.
Hi, thanks! I'm not sure I do quite follow though. The problem I described only happens when:

- aircraft has separate main and LOD models (named, for example, Thisplane.gr2 and Thisplane_LOD.gr2)
- aircraft has two or more textures (for example, it is used by several countries and each country has its own camouflage)

Normally, in GR2 file you can set texture name to cfg#TXRskin which tells the game to check units cfg file in roster folder for which texture to use. If no texture is specified or the above naming convention not used, plane uses default texture.

Except this does not work for LOD gr2 file, so when (like in my example) when a plane that which has American texture by default, but cfg file tells it to use British one, gets far enough away for the game to switch to simplified LOD model - British texture is replaced by American (default).

If there's no separate LOD model (even with the same textures used) the plane uses correct camouflage at every distance.

I don't see how changing texture's mipmaps would help, but if you know of a way I'd be grateful for explaining it because this problem is not only causing trouble with multitextured planes, but also prevents us from making varied, colourful skins for merchant ships. Solving it would be great.
Old 03-23-21, 03:01 AM   #27
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Hi, thanks! I'm not sure I do quite follow though. The problem I described only happens when:

- aircraft has separate main and LOD models (named, for example, Thisplane.gr2 and Thisplane_LOD.gr2)
- aircraft has two or more textures (for example, it is used by several countries and each country has its own camouflage)

Normally, in GR2 file you can set texture name to cfg#TXRskin which tells the game to check units cfg file in roster folder for which texture to use. If no texture is specified or the above naming convention not used, plane uses default texture.

Except this does not work for LOD gr2 file, so when (like in my example) when a plane that which has American texture by default, but cfg file tells it to use British one, gets far enough away for the game to switch to simplified LOD model - British texture is replaced by American (default).

If there's no separate LOD model (even with the same textures used) the plane uses correct camouflage at every distance.

I don't see how changing texture's mipmaps would help, but if you know of a way I'd be grateful for explaining it because this problem is not only causing trouble with multitextured planes, but also prevents us from making varied, colourful skins for merchant ships. Solving it would be great.
I am currently drawing Messerschmitt BF 109 E and can see for myself exactly what the problem is
Old 03-23-21, 03:26 AM   #28
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-190 View Post
I am currently drawing Messerschmitt BF 109 E and can see for myself exactly what the problem is
Great Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 03-23-21, 04:00 AM   #29
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Last edited by U-190; 03-23-21 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 01:46 PM   #30
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Last edited by U-190; 03-23-21 at 05:30 PM.