SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-19, 02:37 PM   #1
LeBueno
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default GWX Destroyer depth charging

Hi!

I am playing a campaign in GWX and as I intercepted a convoy in bad weather I found myself in middle of it and almost immediately charged at by at least 2 destroyers. At the first pass I heard the ASDIC as it pinged me at increasingly fast intervals and finally dropped some charges on me. I dove to 160m and started evading. However, no matter what I do I can not shake those two (or three) destroyers off from me. The weird thing is that

a) my hydrophone guy doesn't call the closest destroyer from me but rather sometimes another guy who is at constant range while another one is closing on me and dropping charges on me

b) the destroyers haven't used ASDIC on me after the first pass, however, they can pinpoint me all the time even I have silent running and also when I have my engines completely off. This seems pretty weird, as I am currently at 210m under the surface and they still know where I am. Can the ASDIC penetrate that deep?

I go either full halt or minimum speed and only use full speed when the enemy drops charges - nothing seems to do the trick. I find it weird that they still can find me as it seems they do not use ASDIC as there is no pingin sound to be heard.

Any veterans who know what is going on? Thanks
406 suffers failure on launch again.
LeBueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 02:49 PM   #2
LeBueno
Watch

Oh, one more question. I had saved the game at the point where I was 200m deep and the destroyers were hunting me. As I now loaded the game it started with my boat having a few leaks and a sound of shattering glass and my depth was over 250m. I tried quickly to rise to 200m but the game just tells me my boat has been crushed from the pressure.
Is this a bug because I saved the game where there were multiple ships near me? Is it even possible to save a game in a situation where I am e.g. shadowing a convoy?
Old 06-26-19, 04:25 PM   #3
Eikson
Seaman

Downloads: 54

Hey,

a) Your hydrophone has a dead zone in front and behind the boat (the angle depends on the hydrophone type). It might be that when you gave the order to track the destroyer the closest destroyer was in that zone.

b) If detected, try to lower your engine RPM to around 50 for actual silent running. The RPM gauges are close to the depth gauges.

c) The game usually gets ****ed when saving underwater. Are you using h.sie's hardcode fixes? They contain a fix for some issues with depth keeping when loading saves.
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-19, 10:25 AM   #4
LeBueno
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikson View Post
Hey,

a) Your hydrophone has a dead zone in front and behind the boat (the angle depends on the hydrophone type). It might be that when you gave the order to track the destroyer the closest destroyer was in that zone.

b) If detected, try to lower your engine RPM to around 50 for actual silent running. The RPM gauges are close to the depth gauges.

c) The game usually gets ****ed when saving underwater. Are you using h.sie's hardcode fixes? They contain a fix for some issues with depth keeping when loading saves.
I can't find the RPM gauges anywhere
No, I do not have h.sie's patch but I will install it next. Do you have any idea why the destroyers where not pingin me after the first pass?
Old 06-27-19, 11:08 AM   #5
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default my escape tactic

I myself cut the engines back to 50rpm as mentioned above and keep it there changing course by 3-5 degrees to the port or starboard and never more. I never go to flank while depth charges are raining down. I maintain 50rpm. Most have had good results with this tactic, I haven't. Maybe my timing's off, cause all I accomplish is re-alerting them. As for depth, I like to maintain the option of being able to dive deeper if need be. I don't like to loose my depth option right away. so I usually like to be at between 140-160 meters for starters. That way I can go up, down, port or starboard, if I need to. I also never ever use time compression to speed thing up, you might not be able to react to something in time or worse, recover. I play it like this and eventually they move off. Finally when the do give up, I wait for them to get about 6km away before coming off silent running and slide away at 3kts and reload tubes. When they're 10kms distant, I surface, recharge, and send BDU a patrol status report. I find that escaping is just as or more exciting then hunting
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-19, 01:10 PM   #6
LeBueno
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
I myself cut the engines back to 50rpm as mentioned above and keep it there changing course by 3-5 degrees to the port or starboard and never more. I never go to flank while depth charges are raining down. I maintain 50rpm. Most have had good results with this tactic, I haven't. Maybe my timing's off, cause all I accomplish is re-alerting them. As for depth, I like to maintain the option of being able to dive deeper if need be. I don't like to loose my depth option right away. so I usually like to be at between 140-160 meters for starters. That way I can go up, down, port or starboard, if I need to. I also never ever use time compression to speed thing up, you might not be able to react to something in time or worse, recover. I play it like this and eventually they move off. Finally when the do give up, I wait for them to get about 6km away before coming off silent running and slide away at 3kts and reload tubes. When they're 10kms distant, I surface, recharge, and send BDU a patrol status report. I find that escaping is just as or more exciting then hunting
Thanks, good advice! However, I can't find the RPM gauges. Are they hidden somewhere?
Old 06-27-19, 02:48 PM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBueno View Post
Thanks, good advice! However, I can't find the RPM gauges. Are they hidden somewhere?
They're on the starboard side (right) side of the sub if you're looking toward the forward command room hatch.
Right click on your engineer/helmsman and pivot your view 90 degrees starboard and you'll get a closer view which you can set the rpm at. Right click again to go back to the preview viewpoint.
Old 06-28-19, 03:31 PM   #8
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

There are RPM repeaters in the conning tower of the Type VII and IX that may be easier to read. I don't use a wide-screen GUI and set turns for the props to ~50 RPM from the conning tower screen.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote