SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-19, 06:24 AM   #1
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Default Stewy's Navy List - released!

G'day guys,
I've just uploaded a collection of Word documents that list the year of commission of a range of countries' naval vessels in Dangerous Waters RA.

Hopefully it'll help with your mission-making, especially if, like me, you like setting missions in a distinct time-period.

It's for RA 1.39 and not every country is mentioned, though I'm happy to take requests - or you could do your own updating!

Research was done through publically available means (mainly Wikipedia!)

If a date is wrong, don't flame me - I was mainly going off the year the first of class was commissioned.

The countries I've done are:
Argentina
China
France
Germany
India
Indonesia
Iran
Japan
Pakistan
Taiwan
Australia
Soviet Union/Russia
Thailand
United Kingdom
United States
Vietnam

It's in the 'Missions and Maps' section of the DW downloads.

I'm happy to do a 'Pack 2' if there are requests!

Disclaimer:
Naturally, download at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any adverse effects to your computer by downloading this file.

Cheers,
Stew

Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 08:41 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Hopefully it'll help with your mission-making, especially if, like me, you like setting missions in a distinct time-period.
hmm i think your list gives NOT accurate informations for this task. Year of commision doesn't means all weapon systems were the same until decomission.

For example Lutiens class (ex-Chales F. Adams class)

in your list:
Charles F. Adams class destroyer - 1969

...but some systems were added:
- in 80's (Mk 13 launcher for SM-1 & Harpoon missiles)
- in 90's (RIM 116A RAM)
... and in DW this DDG have it.

So in DW Lutiens class is not version from 1969 but from mid-90's

Also you should to define upper limit because in real some of warships from DW were modernised or upgraded but in DW they are still in versions from 1990-2000. Its problem because Russia in DW via RA mod adds ultra modern ships like Project 20385 Gremyashchiy class. And for example Arleigh Burke class are still in "pure" Flt I, II and IIA - without any modernisation (which is continuous process in USN)
Old 04-10-19, 02:36 AM   #3
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Thanks P7, yes, I appreciate what you say - the dates aren't totally authentic to the technical make-up of the ship, which evolves over time.

Defining the dates of decommissioning for each class would be a whole pile of work - that might take me a while!

It's not perfect - but at least it gives a feel for what ships would be operating at certain time periods. If you set a mission in 1984, playing as Soviets against Japan (for example), you'd have a rough idea of which units would be authentic to the time-period, and which ones wouldn't.

Cheers P7,
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 11:08 AM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
It's not perfect - but at least it gives a feel for what ships would be operating at certain time periods.
It's more complicated because it's also matter of weapom. For example:

Akula class was commisioned at end of 1984 but in your version of RA 1.39 or vanilla this submarine uses supersonic sizzlers (antiship missiles)

Btw, your Navy List still could be useful for mission designers. I hope you will make update with "current in game" ship versions.