SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-19, 07:21 PM   #8341
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
I apologize if this has been brought up before. I am on my first patrol out of pearl and was told to patrol two areas of the Marshalls. You can see if have to binocular icons but the patrol circles don't match up. This is the beginning of the war.

The second circle is to the right of the lower binocular icon. It's hard to see.
I see it finally, in-line with your submarine's set course... Somebody must have sneezed when they built that... don't touch anything around there unless you use alcohol wipes or hand sanitizer... - I'll check it out and move it back where it belongs... maybe the enemy was attempting to sabotage your mission, and you caught them in the middle of moving the markers in the field... but the "Star" with the binoculars is the place to be. For now, just draw your own circle the size of the mis-placed one, centered on that "star", of course...

Thanks for the report and pix!

Edit: OK, found the issue Sniper450 - I mis-dated the patrol circles that draw on the map. There is a hidden primary objective, and the circle is supposed to draw about the time the orders come across for that. Missed with that, and put the dating in the other circle... whoops - correction will be in the next version.

Also, found a reason some folks might get a CTD out of Pearl Dec 1941 - do NOT take the Sargo out... Fixed for the next release

If you take an SBoat out from Manila December 8, 1941, and you are assigned to do Puerto Galera and go back to Manila for fuel, you might not be able to complete all of the objectives the way that mission is currently built. Just go off and do whatever you want, and we'll have that one straightened out also in the next release.

Also, there are Australian and other Allied ships going through the Marshalls at very inappropriate times. I can see them being there in December 1941, caught with the situation, but there should be no Allied traffic attempting to go through the Mandates in the middle of 1942 or 1943... There are a LOT of changes to do for that, and I haven't even started...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-12-19 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Lots of stuff
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 10:34 AM   #8342
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Hi fitzcarraldo

As the fella who originally made Razzle Dazzle, and also ported it into FOTRSU a few years ago, I can give you a definitive answer on this.

Short Version:
You do not need to add Razzle Dazzle into FOTRSU. It is already in the mod.
In fact if you try to apply Razzle Dazzle on top of FOTRSU, you will end up with less variety of skins for about 15 merchants, rather than more.
Please don't do it

Long Version:
A few years back, when Rockin Robins first started this project, I volunteered to port my Razzle Dazzle skins from TMO into FOTRSU, and also do new skins for the many many ships that FOTRSU added.

My plan was to do every ship originally, but I got a bit burnt out, and ended up doing all the freighters, tankers and troop transports - and nothing else.
Still - that's pretty good - I am happy with that.

However, whilst playing the latest build, I can see that there have been a few freighters, tankers and troop transports added since then.

So there will be some ships you see that will not have the old Razzle Dazzle applied.

I might get to these, or I might not - who knows??

However it is important to realize, that when I ported Razzle Dazzle into FOTRSU, I expanded the number of skins per ship.
In the original mod for TMO, it was 6 skins per ship (I think?!)

However the files I gave to the Mod team for FOTRSU was 10 skins per ship (again, I think, my memory is not what it was)

So if you try and enable the old Razzle Dazzle on top of FOTRSU, for about 15 ships (that are in TMO) you will be reducing their number of available skins from 10 to 6

Hope this makes sense mate
OK! Many thanks!

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-19, 12:11 AM   #8343
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65

Might be a stupid question, but I need help with a photo recon SpecsOp issue.

Got a mission from PH to infiltrate Wake Island at the beginning of the war. I was able to enter Wake harbor during rainy weather, under Periscope depth, and got close enough to the photo icon targets on the beach to lock my periscope onto them.

However, pressing the Take Picture button seems to do absolutely nothing. I tried without pressing the ID Target button - and then tried after pressing it - but no result whatsover. The only reason I can see is that it is due to bad weather, but I'm still close enough to the beach to lock vision onto them and identify them. So I am at a loss.

100% Realism, manual targeting, map contacts on.

Thanks!
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-19, 06:13 AM   #8344
propbeanie

From testing for the next version here, I am finding that the changes to the AI settings has made the PhotoTarget difficult to target, requiring the player to get in real close, like less than 1000 yards. The "sonar line" does help in finding them, when there are only a few, but can get downright confusing when there are several in a small area, so I'm working on trying something different there.

However, in what you are doing there at Wake, if I am remembering correctly, the PhotoValue is not set correctly, and it will be next to impossible to complete the Photo portions of the mission, even if the rest of it was set correctly. When I first built the mission, there were quite a few more PhotoTargets sprinkled about the shores of the atolls, but since the sonar lines made things into a confusing mess, I deleted most of the PhotoTargets, but neglected to re-set the score needed to complete the mission, so with that, don't try to do the photographs.

Second with that, is the journey to Wake was actually conducted after December 28th, 1941. In other words, when the Japanese had wrested control of the atoll from the US - therefore, you are there prior to when the photo portion of the mission is necessary. Small detail

Lastly, to make certain you're doing the procedure fully, using 100% realism makes the Photo mission very difficult, even when the scenario is set-up correctly (which none of them are in your current assignment). The primary issue with the PhotoTarget is finding it, then getting it to "Lock" in the periscope. Once you have the target "Lock", then ID the target. With the manual targeting, you have to have the Recognition Manual open, turned to the PhotoTarget page, and click on the "Send to TDC" box in the upper-right corner of its page. Then you can click the button and maybe get the photo to take. Since the scenario is not set-up correctly (by me, the author), you probably will not get full functionality though. In other words, in spite of following the procedures for a Photo mission correctly, you might not be able to get the camera tab button on the menu to light up to be able to take a picture, or it might light and you click on it, but never get a picture to show on the clipboard Captain's Log, which is probably the case here...

The photo portions of the mission you have are not integral to the scenario, just an opportunity for more renown points. Once you have completed the "patrol" portion of the mission, you will receive another assignment for Guam, which will also have a Photo portion of that assignment also. After that patrol assignment is complete, then you are sent to Eniwetok Atoll with the same parameters, and again, the photo portion probably will not complete. The main problem with the Photo portions is that they are listed out of order in the text file. That particular mission has been redone for the next release and does work correctly now, but I am stuck trying to get the somewhat "historical" Photo missions for the pre-invasion panoramic assignments to work correctly (the player having to get in too close), which is very disappointing to me - still working on them though...

Old 07-15-19, 10:01 PM   #8345
CadBac94
Nub

Downloads: 2

Hey there, Im totally new to modding SH4 and I think I did everything right. I was just curious if there was a way to know if I downloaded the mod correctly.
CadBac94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-19, 10:44 PM   #8346
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Quote:
I was just curious if there was a way to know if I downloaded the mod correctly.
CadBac94!, there is!...if it works!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-19, 11:10 PM   #8347
Drakken
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
From testing for the next version here, I am finding that the changes to the AI settings has made the PhotoTarget difficult to target, requiring the player to get in real close, like less than 1000 yards. The "sonar line" does help in finding them, when there are only a few, but can get downright confusing when there are several in a small area, so I'm working on trying something different there.

However, in what you are doing there at Wake, if I am remembering correctly, the PhotoValue is not set correctly, and it will be next to impossible to complete the Photo portions of the mission, even if the rest of it was set correctly. When I first built the mission, there were quite a few more PhotoTargets sprinkled about the shores of the atolls, but since the sonar lines made things into a confusing mess, I deleted most of the PhotoTargets, but neglected to re-set the score needed to complete the mission, so with that, don't try to do the photographs.

Second with that, is the journey to Wake was actually conducted after December 28th, 1941. In other words, when the Japanese had wrested control of the atoll from the US - therefore, you are there prior to when the photo portion of the mission is necessary. Small detail

Lastly, to make certain you're doing the procedure fully, using 100% realism makes the Photo mission very difficult, even when the scenario is set-up correctly (which none of them are in your current assignment). The primary issue with the PhotoTarget is finding it, then getting it to "Lock" in the periscope. Once you have the target "Lock", then ID the target. With the manual targeting, you have to have the Recognition Manual open, turned to the PhotoTarget page, and click on the "Send to TDC" box in the upper-right corner of its page. Then you can click the button and maybe get the photo to take. Since the scenario is not set-up correctly (by me, the author), you probably will not get full functionality though. In other words, in spite of following the procedures for a Photo mission correctly, you might not be able to get the camera tab button on the menu to light up to be able to take a picture, or it might light and you click on it, but never get a picture to show on the clipboard Captain's Log, which is probably the case here...

The photo portions of the mission you have are not integral to the scenario, just an opportunity for more renown points. Once you have completed the "patrol" portion of the mission, you will receive another assignment for Guam, which will also have a Photo portion of that assignment also. After that patrol assignment is complete, then you are sent to Eniwetok Atoll with the same parameters, and again, the photo portion probably will not complete. The main problem with the Photo portions is that they are listed out of order in the text file. That particular mission has been redone for the next release and does work correctly now, but I am stuck trying to get the somewhat "historical" Photo missions for the pre-invasion panoramic assignments to work correctly (the player having to get in too close), which is very disappointing to me - still working on them though...

Thank you for the prompt response.

I simply created a new career, this time from Midway, and I was assigned command of USS Trout to patrol in the Bungo strait. Just sank my first merchant in years of patroling; a tiny 1600-ton empty oiler, near the Kyushu coast, but still... baby steps! I flunked my attempt at vector analysis attack approach, though. Got my steps all mixed up, so I had to resort to pulling the old merchant identification book and using the stadimeter. But the eel found its mark, so at least that was... something. P.S. I hate empty tankers.

Quick question : What is the average ASW aircraft range area from Japanese airbases that I should mark on my map? 50 nm? 100 nm? 200 nm? I obey orders to stay in periscope depth during daylight when within a certain range from Jap airbases.

Last edited by Drakken; 07-15-19 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:21 AM   #8348
propbeanie

Most of the US orders I have found during my research used 500nm as an arbitrary figure. I draw circles around the bases marked on the NavMap at that size, and that does cover quite a bit of territory... I can find several references early to where the commanders were told to submerge by day, only surface at night when fully dark with no moon, etc., but I have not found any reference to the rescinding of same. Only in the patrol report endorsements do I see a reference, with statements like "... submarine spent entirely too much time submerged. More efficient patrolling, covering a larger area, can be accomplished on the surface..." things like that - and early in the war no less...

Old 07-16-19, 08:03 AM   #8349
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBac94 View Post
Hey there, Im totally new to modding SH4 and I think I did everything right. I was just curious if there was a way to know if I downloaded the mod correctly.
As Aktungbby mentions there CadBac94, if the game runs after you've activated the mod, it generally means you are good to go. You should end up with an intro screen like the FotRSU picture in my signature here, and then you should get a different menu background than what you find in Stock. If the game crashes when you try to run it now, then there is something amiss. If such is the case, post back and let us know the "symptoms", and include your computer specs with the cpu, RAM, hard drive, video card and OS, and as to whether or not you got the LAA to set the SH4.exe to "True".

Also, "Welcom to SubSim!"

Old 07-16-19, 10:35 AM   #8350
Drakken
Planesman

Quote:
Most of the US orders I have found during my research used 500nm as an arbitrary figure. I draw circles around the bases marked on the NavMap at that size, and that does cover quite a bit of territory... I can find several references early to where the commanders were told to submerge by day, only surface at night when fully dark with no moon, etc., but I have not found any reference to the rescinding of same. Only in the patrol report endorsements do I see a reference, with statements like "... submarine spent entirely too much time submerged. More efficient patrolling, covering a larger area, can be accomplished on the surface..." things like that - and early in the war no less...

Interesting, I didn't know that. Did COMSUBPAC modify their approach, with orders allowing subs to surface more? Were skippers widely disregarding these particular instructions or going by the book?
Old 07-16-19, 11:53 AM   #8351
CadBac94
Nub

Downloads: 2

Quote:
As Aktungbby mentions there CadBac94, if the game runs after you've activated the mod, it generally means you are good to go. You should end up with an intro screen like the FotRSU picture in my signature here, and then you should get a different menu background than what you find in Stock. If the game crashes when you try to run it now, then there is something amiss. If such is the case, post back and let us know the "symptoms", and include your computer specs with the cpu, RAM, hard drive, video card and OS, and as to whether or not you got the LAA to set the SH4.exe to "True".

Also, "Welcom to SubSim!"
So the game runs just fine but Ive noticed I dont have the different loading screen and main menu background. Otherwise the game runs fine and loads normally. I followed the dl instructions so I dont think its anything wrong there.
CadBac94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 01:17 PM   #8352
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. Did COMSUBPAC modify their approach, with orders allowing subs to surface more? Were skippers widely disregarding these particular instructions or going by the book?
For their first patrols, there were definite orders to be submerged during daylight hours when within 500 nm of known enemy airbases, or when within so many miles of the Japanese islands, but all of the skippers coming back after their first patrols were criticized for being submerged too much. Sort of a Catch-22. While I have not seen specific orders (yet) addressed to subs rescinding the previous orders, the commanders were definitely encouraged, especially after getting better radar units, to stay on the surface as much as possible and cover as much water as possible. I have four submarine books and use the Maritime dot org Sub Reports and the HNSA version of the same thing ever since I found them. Some fascinating reading. It is sometimes amazing how nonchalant some of those fellows were... nothing but the facts...

Old 07-16-19, 01:21 PM   #8353
propbeanie

Quote:
... You should end up with an intro screen like the FotRSU picture in my signature here, and then you should get a different menu background than what you find in Stock... post back and let us know the "symptoms", and include your computer specs with the cpu, RAM, hard drive, video card and OS, and as to whether or not you got the LAA to set the SH4.exe to "True"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBac94 View Post
So the game runs just fine but Ive noticed I dont have the different loading screen and main menu background. Otherwise the game runs fine and loads normally. I followed the dl instructions so I dont think its anything wrong there.
What it sounds like, at first blush is that you probably have the game installed in a Program Files folder. Post back with some of your computer specs, and where you have SH4 installed. Thanks

Old 07-18-19, 12:32 AM   #8354
Drakken
Planesman

HELP! I am no longer able to use my rudder!!!

I was able to get out of a sticky situation against an escort, in which I withstood some minor damage to my engines which are fixed now. However, with no other visible damage I am just going straight into the Japanese mainland without being able to turn my ship left or right!

I tried everything - hard port, hard starboard, return to course, minor changes of course to rudder, saving and reloading, everything... but nothing improves. I have no other visible damage to anything else in the control room.

Plus, I am unable to abandon ship so I am at lost of what I can do.
Old 07-18-19, 07:23 AM   #8355
propbeanie

"Back Emergency!"...

Just to double-check = you do not have the high CO2 warning? You do not have wounded crew in the control room or conning tower? You do not show any damage on the F7 screens? No flooding? Nothing showing needing repair ("Repair team priority" box), nothing lit "red"? Are you getting any error message in the text box like "Unable to comply"? Scroll all the way through that list. If you do have wounded, swap them for another crew member that is not wounded. Move the wounded to the Damage team slots, or the crew berthing slots, and move someone not needed right now (torpedo room) into their place. Of course, when possible, surface the boat to get air in, just in case that CO2 isn't showing. I'm not sure what you can do if your rudder is gone (it should show as damaged), other than abandon the career, because as you say, there is no "Abandon ship!" command...

Check these guys: