SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-11, 11:01 PM   #1
garren
In the Brig

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default [REQ] Navigational Running Lights

I've seen the thread for navigational buoys with lights but to me it seems rather pointless to have one without the other. So I am requesting mod attention and development of navigational running lights for all vessels that are underway in friendly or neutral ports.

I understand that navigational running lights were not used during WWII while out to sea by warships and by many merchant ships but in port they were used - even by U-boat captains while they were in friendly and neutral ports as to avoid collisions with other friendly or neutral vessels.

Of course if this mod can be developed then the option of turning them on and off needs to be added in - OR - a scripted function could be used to trigger on running lights on vessels that are within approaching distance of a friendly or neutral port (and while they're within that port) and triggered off once the vessel is outside of that port and outside the approaching distance.

And of course that script would need to be linked to each vessel's national origin as to prevent running lights coming on in the wrong port. You wouldn't want to be sneaking into Scapa Flow under the cover of darkness and suddenly your running lights come on!

This risks of underway collision in a friendly/neutral port during wartime were much more significant than the fear of being spotted in port by the enemy so I feel like this needs to be addressed if a mod for implementing in navigational buoys is being considered or developed. One without the other seems like a driving game where streets lights are rendered but headlights and tail lights are not. It's good that we'll be able to see where we're supposed to go but it's still a problem that we can't see who we might hit (or who might hit us) on the way there.
garren is offline   Reply With Quote