SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-07, 06:20 PM   #61
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengasCon
Hello!,
I really want to try this out but am having major ( or possibly minor) install problems. My problem seems to be the same that panthercules had in his 7/31/07 post. The program doesn't recognize or install GUITest . Here is what it looks like when i try to install.....

Starting wxPython install
The system cannot find the path specified.
Installing additional perl modules
No missing packages to install
No missing packages to install
ppm install failed: 404 File `\sh4speech\libraries\Win32-GuiTest\Win32-GuiTest.p
pd' does not exist
File not found - SAPI5.pm
A subdirectory or file \perl\site\lib\win32 already exists.
A subdirectory or file \perl\site\lib\win32\guitest already exists.
Everything should be done now.
Press any key to continue . . .

I tried to do all the fixes that you suggested to him but i continue to have the same problem. I am not a computer whiz ( wish i was) but i enjoy and appreciate all the work modders like yourself do...I hope yiou can help because i said all along that voice recognition is all the SH4 needed to be complete...would love to try this out...Thanks!!!
The wxPython has been removed since it is not actually required. I forgot to take the install call out of the install.bat but just ignore that.

I think the source of your other problems is that \sh4speech is not the path. You should be able to hit Start > Run > \sh4speech {enter} and it should show you my files. If not it's in the wrong place. I had a problem with the zip folder structure that was fixed in 1.38 so first be sure you have the latest. Open your root folder (c:\ if that is your windows drive) and unzip the ZIP directly to that. It will create a subfolder therefore you will have c:\sh4speech. Make sure there isn't ANOTHER sh4speech folder inside there, you should see the files. After that, try running the install.bat again and you should be good!

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 08-12-07 at 01:06 AM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 06:30 PM   #62
minsc_tdp
XO

I got it working in Vista!

Fraggulus PM'd me and I switched to Vista and tried a few more things, and suddenly it worked! No code changes were needed. So here's a few things I think I did since the last time I tried that fixed it:

1. Before trying to run hear.py, make sure Vista Speech Recognition is configured and running. Open the Control Panel, search for Speech and go there. Go through all the setup and training. When you're done you should see the vista speech recognition widget at the top of the screen. If you say something, it will recommend you say "start listening" which you must do before it will hear anything. Try "start wordpad" to see if it's working correctly.

2. This part is in the readme: After #1, make sure you run PythonWin Editor, click Tools > Com MakePy Utility. Find the "Microsoft Speech Object Library (5.3)" select it and hit OK.

3. Run hear.py to test things (don't run the regular launch BATs just yet since it will hide any failure in the hear.py output.) Say "test" or "crash dive" and it should recognize it and print it out, and simultaneously you'll see the vista speech widget show your command.

I didn't test it too much: If you can run hear.py and it's recognizing you without having to say "start listening" that's probably better, since it will then focus on recognizing commands from the sh4speech word list rather than both that and the vista command set (such as things like "start wordpad"). But I'm pretty sure you need to say "start listening" or it will ignore everything.

I think the reason it was failing was primarily that A.) I didn't configure everything and make sure the widget was working first, and maybe B.) I ran the Python MakePy thing prior to doing that.

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 08-11-07 at 06:49 PM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 10:04 PM   #63
minsc_tdp
XO

Major update 1.5 released! See top post and readme. Now has command bar support using mouse clicks! Adds a ton of new voice commands, nearly 400 total now!
Old 08-12-07, 04:24 AM   #64
mountainmanUK
Sparky

Downloads: 23

Hi matey!

Thanks for a great programme!! I've been messing around with it for a few days now, and it's working pretty well!!

Just one question....
The latest v1.51 download link (on the first page) brings up a "Page Not Found" error!!
Could you check it out please?

EDIT: The link points to v1.51.....if you change it to v1.5 it WORKS!!! Gottit now!!

I also found some confusion when using TriggerMaru1.5, as the Commands.cfg used is a lot different. I have (temporarily) deactivated TM from my installation, while I get more used to working by Voice Commands alone!!
Maybe someone could produce a 'definitive' list of TM1.5 Commands, to enable a simple version to be made, which would work with this VC programme?

Thanks a lot for your SUPERB work!!

Dave
mountainmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 11:07 AM   #65
GhengasCon
Swabbie

Downloads: 238

Quote:
I think the source of your other problems is that \sh4speech is not the path. You should be able to hit Start > Run > \sh4speech {enter} and it should show you my files. If not it's in the wrong place. I had a problem with the zip folder structure that was fixed in 1.38 so first be sure you have the latest. Open your root folder (c:\ if that is your windows drive) and unzip the ZIP directly to that. It will create a subfolder therefore you will have c:\sh4speech. Make sure there isn't ANOTHER sh4speech folder inside there, you should see the files. After that, try running the install.bat again and you should be good!
[/QUOTE]

....OK...You were right! I had unzipped the file to the wrong root directory!.. everything seemed to load correctly this time. I first cleaned out everything that had sh4speech( older version) I then installed version 1.38 ( couldn't get the 1.5 link to work for some reason) one problem down but another to go. Whenever i try to run the test mode or the program itself i get this......

C:\sh4speech>cd\sh4speech
C:\sh4speech>REM perl go.pl testmode | python hear.py
C:\sh4speech>python -u hear.py | perl go.pl testmode
Can't locate Win32/GuiTest.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Perl/l
ib .) at go.pl line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at go.pl line 10.

once again i did run the fixes that you suggested to Panthercules to get the program to run. I get the feeling that i am missing something very simple. I get this same text if i run the test mode or the actual program. Both abort at line 10.
Drowning in my own ignorance...HELP!
GhengasCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 11:34 AM   #66
mountainmanUK
Sparky

Downloads: 23

Quote:
EDIT: The link points to v1.51.....if you change it to v1.5 it WORKS!!! Gottit now!!

Instead of clicking the incorrect link, copy the shortcut and paste it into your browser address box, then simply change the last bit from "1.51" to read "1.5"...and it will download!
mountainmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 03:05 PM   #67
minsc_tdp
XO

Link fixed.

I don't know why that Win32-GuiTest doesn't install. Take that line from the install.bat
and run it manually and see what it produces. When complete you should have \perl\site\lib\win32\guitest.pm and two files in \perl\site\lib\win32\guitest (guitest.pc and cmd.pm). There might be other things the PPM line does when installing that but if so I'm not sure what.

If all else fails, sometimes you can get away with simply doing:

ppm install Win32-GuiTest

on the command line which will download it (albeit a slightly older version but it should still work.)
Old 08-13-07, 01:27 PM   #68
minsc_tdp
XO

Added commands for new Trigger Maru command bar buttons and called it 1.55
Old 08-14-07, 03:48 AM   #69
Payoff
Captain

Can the mouse support be used for incremental rudder commands or incremental depth setting? I hope, I hope, I hope!
"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla
Payoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 10:16 AM   #70
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payoff
Can the mouse support be used for incremental rudder commands or incremental depth setting? I hope, I hope, I hope!
The current incarnation of the mouse support for the command bar is very simple: Just a single x/y coordinate (for two resolutions), and at most two clicks.

So, if you want, you could add a few notches of the rudder (5, 10, 15 degrees or whatever increment you want) and add the voice commands for it pretty easily.

There's the slight problem of the fact that the dial has two modes. If you want to add your rudder thing and leave it in one mode all the time, go for it. I figure I'll have to handle this like the tubes, where it starts with a particular assumption (and can return to this assumption if you say "reset" or something) where the assumption is that the dials show the compass, shallow depth, etc whatever the defaults are. And then it would know how to use the extra mode change click by keeping track of what the dials are set to.

If anyone out there knows how to magically determine the current status of the dials (and the mouse cursor) I'd love to know!

Until I get this working well, "heading to view" works really well for precise movements.

To get the coordinates, I use "The Gimp" which is a free photoshop-like app. When you open a screenshot, as you move the mouse cursor over it it shows the x/y at the bottom. Just be sure to select a tool that has a good point on it so you're sure you're getting the pixel you think you are (I use the knife tool, it has a nice crosshair.)
Old 08-14-07, 01:53 PM   #71
Fraggulus
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp
I got it working in Vista!
Yeah, it really works! Great! Big thanks!!

Now I have to melt my German version of Vista and the English commands.. This isn't really working offhand.

Quote:
But I'm pretty sure you need to say "start listening" or it will ignore everything.
Yep, speech recognition must be listening, otherwise it ignores all.

F.
Fraggulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 02:13 PM   #72
Fraggulus
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggulus
Now I have to melt my German version of Vista and the English commands..
Hi minsc_tdp,

atm I'm changing the voice_commands.csv to check how it is possible to translate the commands. For an example, I want to change "4,Bridge,Bridge" to "4,Bridge,Brücke". But it's not recognizing. Instead I have to say "4,Bridge,Brucke". Is there a possibility to get umlauts working?

F.
Fraggulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 03:01 PM   #73
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Quote:
Now I have to melt my German version of Vista and the English commands..
Hi minsc_tdp,

atm I'm changing the voice_commands.csv to check how it is possible to translate the commands. For an example, I want to change "4,Bridge,Bridge" to "4,Bridge,Brücke". But it's not recognizing. Instead I have to say "4,Bridge,Brucke". Is there a possibility to get umlauts working?

F.
I would guess that's because the English recognizer is still running. If German is set up properly in Vista, umlauts should be recognized just fine. I wouldn't rely on the English recognizer for words like "brucke", even though it sort-of works, that's not an English word so it wouldn't be optimized for that. It just made a guess based on the phonetics and maybe happened to work, but I wouldn't think it would be very reliable.

In Vista:
Control Panel
Search for "speech" in the upper-right bar
Click Speech Recognition Options
Click Advanced speech options (upper left)
Under Language, what is selected? Should be v8.0 German. If not, and it's not selectable in the list, you may have to install some kind of add-on pack.

According to this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/speech/spee...evarticle.mspx
"Windows Vista includes in all editions our latest speech recognition engine, version 8.0. Available in US English , UK English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. The engine is included with the corresponding Windows Vista language. Users can install multiple languages by purchasing Windows Multilingual User Interface Packs."

So that sounds like it should be included with the language you have installed, if Vista itself is actually German (and not an English vista with some German stuff installed into it), it should already be German. What happens if you start the windows speech recognizer widget from control panel and say "start listening"? What if you say "fangen Sie an zu hören" or however you would say that in German? What if you say "start wordpad" or "anfang Wordpad"? Which works?

If so your German recognizer is working fine, it could be an umlaut/unicode/script problem, but before I dive into it I'd like to hear that the above is working right.

I'm not sure how I can test that without installing German Vista, which I can't do easily (maybe at work... lots of test machines... but I'd rather not.)
Old 08-14-07, 04:59 PM   #74
Payoff
Captain

Thanks. I still dont know why they abandoned the incremental rudder after SH2. I will have to see if I can get this set up. I suppose as long as I leave the dial in the compass mode I will always have the same base to work from. In fact the only reason I switch dials is to click on the tiny rudder display.
"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla
Payoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 05:19 PM   #75
minsc_tdp
XO

Well I'm sure some people use the compass more than the rudder, and some use the rudder more. I think it's pointless to try to prefer one or the other, they need equal treatment. Each has its purpose.

Has anyone tried the "reset tubes" thing yet? I'd like feedback on that, since a similar reset command would probably be used to keep the voice system in sync with the status of the dials.