SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-19, 05:18 PM   #16
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
One thing to remember is that some edits in the game do not take until the start of the next patrol. Others do not take effect until the next Career is started. Since you are trying to change the sub, it's probably the career...
Nope, new careers all. Have not tried a XXI in NYGM though but I get the 180 second extension in all of the VII's and IX's in spite of using SH3 Editor on the sensors.sim file and cannot find another file that defines the extension time.

The loading times using NYGM are short enough that testing new careers does not consume too much time.

Others are having different results, fair ball but I have posted my NYGM mod-soup and nobody has posted where I may be in error or provided info on related files that may need editing.

It would be ungracious not to acknowledge input received so far, so thanks.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 05:58 PM   #17
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Just to repeat, I have done exactly this but for some reason, it is NOT WORKING in my NYGM installation. Am trying to figure out WHY and am getting nowhere. And there's the issue that almost none of the Type VIIB and Type IXB were equipped with snorkels AND used them on operations. Try with VIIC or IXC and let me know how you make out.
Answering your request is easy, but will not change anything. Funny, isnt it?
Start new Campaign, Year 44, 1st Flottille, Brest. I get 7c.
Start new Campaign, Year 44, 2nd Flottille, Lorient. I get 9c.
With my modified FuMB37 Sensors.sim from 180 to 30 both boats will drive out my Snorkel in 30 seconds.

So i know, this info alone will not help you much. Let me assemble some facts together. Your changeings does not work. My changings work. You have not provided your Operating-System. You have not provided youre Install-drawer. To me it looks like you have an install in something like a 'windows protected storage folder' or a 'copy protected' download install. This can be "Windows/Programs" or "ProgramsX86" ore something like that. In this drawers installed programs and games will work. But Windows (or the Download-Tool) may prevent any modifications which is very bad for Mods. This is known, and tips about that will pop up here (mostly) on a week-basis.
Changing the Snorkel-Loadout-Time in NYGM is Sensors.sim for Types 7 and 9. Type 21 has its own *sim in Submarine-folder, but is not related here, since it always has 10 seconds.
Another often discussed procedure to find bad things is deactivate all Mods, and activate one at a time to test.

Normal i do not use NYGM, i have my own install, which is a mixture of many Mods out there that fit my needs but based on GWX 1.3/2.0 and heavy modified.
For things like this here i use only the core NYGM files without any 'Add-On'-mods which is exactly as youre Mod-Soup breaked after "NYGM 2017A". It looks like this:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\SilentHunterIII\MODS]

SH3_14b_4FPS_4GB
xNYGM_36F_2017A_myMerge
xNYGM_mySH3TooL_Korrekt
xNYGM_mySH3TooL_Korrekt_Campaign
Missions_myTEST-Missions_SH3
xNYGM_FuMB37
xNYGM_FuMB37_Snorkel30
ag_FileManager-Ini-Comment-Crash

Let me say one last word to youre *ogg-file-findings.
For me this looks like you have a very bad installation, or you have not used SearchMyFiles. This is a standalone Freeware-Tool.
With this Tool i find (on the above JSGME-Modlist) on my SH3-install these 10 files:
Zones.cfg
messages_en.txt
Basic.cfg
Commands_de.cfg
Commands_en.cfg
Sensors.sim
en_help.txt
en_menu.txt
NSS_Uboat21.sim
NSS_Uboat23.sim

And restricted search to Library:
Sensors.sim

Hope this helps.
Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 08:59 PM   #18
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Greetings.
It doesn't but thanks anyway. I'm done.

-C
Old 03-16-19, 11:47 AM   #19
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Default Solution Found!

I had created a copy of the original file and then renamed the original Sensors.sim file to Z_ORG_Sensors.sim and left it in the Library folder. The problem was that the program was not loading the edited Sensors.sim file but was continuing to load the now renamed, stock file.

For one who does not write code and has no formal training in programming or computer language this seems completely counter-intuitive but I did multiple tests to confirm that this is exactly why snorkel extension time remained 180-seconds after editing the Sensors.sim file extension values. One hypothesis is that the program loads top down by file extension rather than by file name and the stock Z_ORG_Sensors.sim file loaded after the edited Sensors.sim file and over-wrote the edited values but I do not intend to explore this further.

The solution was simply to move the stock, renamed file to a different folder and the extension time becomes the desired 30-seconds as the game reads the correct file. Changing the file extension for the original from Sensors.sim to Sensors.xxx rather than renaming it also works.

So NYGM snorkel extension time is now the desired 30-seconds and I can begin a late war Inshore Campaign patrol. If somebody can explain why renaming the file had no effect I would welcome some enlightenment. It seems odd that the program would not read the edited Sensors.sim and instead default to the renamed original file but that's what happens.

Lesson learned = save original files in a new location and away from the folder where they had previously lived.

Thanks again to Propbeanie for pointing me to the Sensors.sim file as a starting point.

-C
Old 03-16-19, 06:36 PM   #20
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The game seems to load all files in all folders, which is another reason why making a mod for your edits is preferable. The behavior you noticed, with the game loading a custom-named file is something that can be used to advantage. It would be better to rename the file extension, such that you would have "sensors.sim.bak" or something similar, but I don't trust the game to do that correctly either... btw, you are welcome, and I thank you for thanking me...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 06:16 PM   #21
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
This search turned up a whack of *.ogg files for the sound effects and nothing useful. Cannot find any relevant entries for snorkel times in the sensor.dat file.

Disabled the FuMB37 mod and edited the three snorkel entries in the sensor.sim to 30-seconds. No luck, the snorkel still takes 3-minutes to extend.

Rolled back the mods to NYGM3_6F and edited the sensors.sim file in that update 30-seconds. Reactivated the mods in use.

NYGM Mod list in use, other than the snorkel issue no problems noted so far after 5-complete 1940-41 patrols.

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F* (Note)
NYGM 2017A
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
IABLShipsforNYGM_New
Anvart_Stiebler_TurmsR01R02
Kiel_Locks_NYGM
Single Merchant Contact Mod
depth charge noise - Rev A - NYGM
Harbor Traffic Add-In
NYGM Tonnage War Minefield Mod
1500 meter bearing overlay
3rd Flotilla Mod
Enhanced Nav Map Plotting Tools
Functional Draggable Chrono for NYGM

(Note) None of the Mods below here change the sensor.sim file.

No biggie, I just won't use NYGM for late war careers.

-C

Just in case the op ever returns to this thread;

The Anvart_Stiebler_TurmsR01R02 isn't needed with NYGM; already part of NYGM.

Maybe that's part of the problem you're having.
Old 10-01-19, 09:46 PM   #22
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Thanks but in post #19 I made it clear that the issue was solved.

-C
Old 10-02-19, 05:29 AM   #23
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Thanks but in post #19 I made it clear that the issue was solved.

-C

Oops. Now you know why I failed detective school.....
Old 10-02-19, 11:40 AM   #24
Randomizer
Watch Officer

No problem. I too will miss some blinding glimpses of the obvious but wright it off to age and too many brain cells sacrificed to too many beer over the years.

Actually I needed the Anvart-et-al turms mod to get the FuMB-30 radar antenna to work on the late-war Type VIIC in NYGM. No idea why.

-C