SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-08, 08:54 PM   #196
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Aiming tips

One thing I've noticed it that you have to be very careful about how you aim your torpedoes, especially if you're tooling along at flank speed!

As long as the target is reasonably close to 90 AoB and its bearing is within +/- 30 degrees, there doesn't seem to be a problem with aiming, no matter how fast you're going. But when the AoB starts getting past that, and especially when its bearing is greater than 40 degrees, the problem is that there is a delay, be it ever so small, between the time you press fire and the torpedo actually launches.

Because of that small unavoidable delay, it plays havoc with your firing solution, which is locked based on the moment you pressed fire, and not when the torpedo actually hits the water. When you're running at flank speed (which is over 38 knots, even in rough weather) you cover a lot of ground during that small delay, and that seems enough to have your torpedo just miss.

Slowing up before launching helps a great deal for those 'off-AoB, off-bore' shots. Unfortunately, slowing up makes you an easier target. It seems your best bet is to, whenever possible, make your runs in at high speed, as square to your target's course as possible, with the AoB also as square as practical.
Old 02-06-08, 09:00 PM   #197
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl

nice flaggy, in for the next release ?

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:15 PM   #198
Gewehr98
Mate

Downloads: 2

Haha...I quit the MP to go see if I could grab ppl from another server and I no longer see any games, even after a restart of SH3!

Gewehr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:19 PM   #199
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Well, so far I haven't had any luck loading mid-patrol saves with this. I suspect there's something, either in the mod or in my setup, that's causing the game to crash while loading saves. Ah well, fortunately patrols are short.

Another, somewhat silly thing I ran into - apparently GWX has changed the base locations in many places in the med after all, as I discovered when I tried to dock at Suda Bay and started my next patrol on the side of a mountain :rotfl:

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:23 PM   #200
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Well, so far I haven't had any luck loading mid-patrol saves with this. I suspect there's something, either in the mod or in my setup, that's causing the game to crash while loading saves. Ah well, fortunately patrols are short.

Another, somewhat silly thing I ran into - apparently GWX has changed the base locations in many places in the med after all, as I discovered when I tried to dock at Suda Bay and started my next patrol on the side of a mountain :rotfl:
That's a known bug; it's caused by the IIA's third torpedo tube no longer existing. For now you can't reload mid-game saves.

(I'm about to run an MP game, and will be for the next several hours, if you'd like to join. server = S-boot, password = SUBSIM)
Old 02-06-08, 09:25 PM   #201
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht Von Hesse

(I'm about to run an MP game, and will be for the next several hours, if you'd like to join. server = S-boot, password = SUBSIM)
I'd love to, but... I already waste... err, enjoyed, my whole evening that I was supposed to work

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:28 PM   #202
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to, but... I already waste... err, enjoyed, my whole evening that I was supposed to work
::grins and nods:: I understand. Woulda been nice to run one with three people though. Not that we last all that long to start with! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 02-06-08, 09:51 PM   #203
Gewehr98
Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

::grins and nods:: I understand. Woulda been nice to run one with three people though. Not that we last all that long to start with! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Crap...the game loaded up to like 90% then hung up forever and eventually crashed, however the "Not so long ago..." thing came up. I'm going to try a reboot and when I get back I'll see if anyone can help me fix this madness!

Old 02-06-08, 09:56 PM   #204
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Possibly silly questions Gewehr98:

1) Did you copy the S-boot mod folders into the mod folder of your GWX MP game folder?

2) Did you enable both the s-boot 0.1 and generic cam mods?

3) Did you start SHIII from the MP folder?

Crashing like that usually occurs because all the players do not have the same game/mods installed.
Old 02-06-08, 09:58 PM   #205
Gewehr98
Mate

Quote:
Possibly silly questions Gewehr98:

1) Did you copy the S-boot mod folders into the mod folder of your GWX MP game folder?

2) Did you enable both the s-boot 0.1 and generic cam mods?

3) Did you start SHIII from the MP folder?

Crashing like that usually occurs because all the players do not have the same game/mods installed.
Yes on all counts. This same error was happening with my previous install. Let me see if the reboot fixed it.
Old 02-06-08, 10:11 PM   #206
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

so hows the tex's and other updates coming?? i can't wait!
we need to model the conning tower so it's the armored conrtol area maybe put stations in there so you can protect some watch crew...
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 10:42 PM   #207
Gewehr98
Mate

Woo...just tried a mission, got horribly slaughtered by a C & D Class...for some reason the UZO wouldn't lock on the bastard for more than 5 seconds.

Oh well, I'm ready to do an MP run...just have to wait for like 5 minutes at that 90% "hang up" :rotfl:
Old 02-06-08, 10:44 PM   #208
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr98
Woo...just tried a mission, got horribly slaughtered by a C & D Class...for some reason the UZO wouldn't lock on the bastard for more than 5 seconds.

Oh well, I'm ready to do an MP run...just have to wait for like 5 minutes at that 90% "hang up" :rotfl:
Ready when you are!
Old 02-06-08, 10:46 PM   #209
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

maybe a slight Dimiunuation of the visual node for ai accompanying the
mod might be an idea not much 15 or 20%.

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 10:48 PM   #210
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

About this UZO locking thing: did they even do that? I know American and British boats ran straight toward the target and that's the way the torpedoes went - straight ahead.