SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-19, 01:03 PM   #1
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0
Default First impressions?

Anyone care to post any?
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 02:43 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

It’s not SH series, that’s what I like. It needs a fly swatter for all the bugs! But so far good.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 02:45 PM   #3
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Bad framerate on a good rig. Had to turn the visuals way down to get a stable 60fps. The chormatic abberation, bloom, and motion blur are awful looking anyway.

I did the tutorial, and am currently not sure if im returning it or not. I really have no opinion (good or bad) at this point.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 03:02 PM   #4
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

I cant play. CTD when I try load Tutorial or Sandbox.
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 03:12 PM   #5
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Requested a refund after 100 minutes of gameplay.

Besides the performance and technical issues (that i can totally overlook for an early access release), i didn't really have any fun. Maybe "The Sims" Uboat is just not for me.

Will check back after it's out of early access.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids

Last edited by gutted; 04-30-19 at 03:23 PM.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 01:44 PM   #6
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Loving it

I decided to just sail out and try everything, just to see what things did.

It is early stages, but almost everything works. I like that you can name the whole crew, change their looks, clothes, skills, and even give them a pipe.

I took the long mission, to sail 2000 km in a distant area. That would give me time to see and try it all. There are some mysteries without tooltips, but most of the activities make sense.

Originally, I thought you had to micro-manage everything -- but you don't. You have buttons for periscope depth, surface, decks awash, and deep. When you surface, you see that you're short on air. Wait a bit and you will see that fixed.

It is important to mix your officers to have a watchman, engineer, technical, medic, and so on. They work in groups, meaning you can assign helpers from the non-officer crew to each officer. For instance, the captain is a watch officer. Give him up to 3 helpers and the bridge lookouts climb up and look.

No problems getting anything to work, so far. I am impressed.
Old 05-01-19, 03:28 PM   #7
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

I actually like it. I see room for improvement though. I don't like the system used for looking at ships on the surface. Where Re the binoculars? Also, what's my heading? I hate having to flip back and forth to the map. What I do like, is the use of ventilation, pumps, valves, etc... I also like the crew management. Had a surface action where I sank three ships. After all the "racing around", I put everyone to sleep, switched on red light, and walked through the boat. It was like everyone just collapsed in exhaustion. It was quiet. Minimum crew. Kinda cool
Old 05-01-19, 04:53 PM   #8
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
Bad framerate on a good rig. Had to turn the visuals way down to get a stable 60fps. The chormatic abberation, bloom, and motion blur are awful looking anyway.

I did the tutorial, and am currently not sure if im returning it or not. I really have no opinion (good or bad) at this point.
Quite a few people has this issue over on the steam forum, they had patch out the next day for it, you might wanna give it another shot.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 12:46 AM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default My thoughts

So I’ve been playing this game now for a while, I’ve taken care some of the problems I’ve been having on my end with some of the bugs. And I have to admit that I’ve come to a different understanding of what this game is.

This game is more of a storyteller then it is a Sim. SH5 is the hard core sim forcing us to use techniques and instinct as are we are the Commander.

But U-boat, is a storyteller. It’s Das Boot in our hands as we play it. It seems that every time someone writes their experience here on Subsim or tells us in YouTube, it’s another scene in that awesome movie.

While Wolfpack is more inclusive, and I find myself having great conversation with strangers I had to “work with” to accomplish a goal, U-boat is exclusive because these are “my” sailors and “my” boat. As they work themselves to exhaustion, working in that leak, I feel responsible for them. Almost like a deity that put them in the situation, and struggle to get them out of it.

The potential for both games are ridiculously high.

I can’t wait to see what the future brings for us.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 01:03 AM   #10
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
So I’ve been playing this game now for a while, I’ve taken care some of the problems I’ve been having on my end with some of the bugs. And I have to admit that I’ve come to a different understanding of what this game is.

This game is more of a storyteller then it is a Sim. SH5 is the hard core sim forcing us to use techniques and instinct as are we are the Commander.

But U-boat, is a storyteller. It’s Das Boot in our hands as we play it. It seems that every time someone writes their experience here on Subsim or tells us in YouTube, it’s another scene in that awesome movie.

While Wolfpack is more inclusive, and I find myself having great conversation with strangers I had to “work with” to accomplish a goal, U-boat is exclusive because these are “my” sailors and “my” boat. As they work themselves to exhaustion, working in that leak, I feel responsible for them. Almost like a deity that put them in the situation, and struggle to get them out of it.

The potential for both games are ridiculously high.

I can’t wait to see what the future brings for us.
I couldn't agree more. The more I play it, the more I like it. Don't know why and the hell I didnt test this; I've been playing sub sims since Gato.
I'm starting to get a system in place. Get the radio man and navigator to sleep a few hours before nightfall. Have them rested so at night, I can get a good nav fix and the radio man can jump on the sonar if needed. Trim first thing in the morning, then get the commander topside with three extra sailors and keep a good lookout. I can definitely see how important a sixth officer is. Have him on watch at night. Also, I'm learning the benefits of assigning crew to different officers. Have to get past trying to keep everyone happy and focus on keeping the boat in fighting trim- all the time. At first I wasn't sure what to make of the 1 min equals 10 min game time (think that's right), but when you focus on managing, next thing you know its morning. Definitely a day by day game. You understand just how monotonous hunting for targets really is. Need more radio traffic though. That and music.
Yeah, love it!
Old 05-02-19, 02:40 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig View Post
Anyone care to post any?
Now there's a name I haven't seen in awhile. Welcome back.
Old 05-02-19, 11:55 AM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

can we not combine this thread with GoldenRivet's excellent 'Initial Thoughts' thread? A lot of good info in both threads in one place would be useful to fencesitters still deciding to invest....and $ave bandwidth!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 09:11 AM   #13
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Now there's a name I haven't seen in awhile. Welcome back.
Well hello there. i've not been playing much of the silent hunter series over the last year or two but i couldnt resist buying uboat.

i've had a look at the game for a couple of hours or so but i've encountered lots of bugs and general quirkiness so think i'm gonna wait a few weeks until most of the bad stuff has been ironed out.

Initial impressions are that its pretty arcady but i'm hoping that once the mod tools are released it can be simmed up a bit!
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 10:35 AM   #14
Krieg Francis
Medic

Downloads: 226

Kinda mixed opinion.

Great atmosphere, almost overwhelming management. Can't even spot a plane without getting sunk in less than a minute.
for SH4
Krieg Francis is offline   Reply With Quote